LegacyGT.com

Spray on Wax?

Has anyone tried one of those spray on waxes? Normally I wax with Collinite 845, but I thought that the spray wax might be a nice way of sprucing things up between full wax jobs.

I was thinking of trying the Eagleone wax as you dry product as it seems fairly inexpensive and it claims that it last three months. Seems easy enough just spray it on before you dry your car.....

http://www.eagleone.com/wax-as-u-dry

I use megs ultimate. Easily available and works well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Spray 'waxes' can be a funny bunch. There is a huge difference between a 'quick detailer', a 'spray wax', a true 'spray wax', or a 'spray sealant'. Some are just quick detailers which are meant to get dust and stuff like that off your car. Some put down a little bit of synthetic or carnauba protection as well as clean. Some are meant strictly for putting down protection, so the car has to be clean and dry just as it would be if you were using a traditional wax or sealant. So just because it is in a spray bottle and says 'spray wax' doesn't mean it is the same thing. The industry uses the term 'spray wax' or 'quick detailer' to describe a whole slough of products. I'm not a huge fan of most of them, but I can give my opinion on the ones that I do like.

The Meguiar's burgundy bottle called Quick Detailer is one of my favorites. It is awesome at getting dust and bird bombs off the car as well as something to shine the wheels with after you have put tire protectant on. It doesn't have any wax or protection in it, so it is solely meant for cleaning.

Poorboy's has a few spray products, but fortunately those are pretty self explanatory in their descriptions. QD+ is a quick detailer plus carnauba. Spray and Wipe is a waterless wash with no carnauba and excellent at getting waterspots from rain on a dusty car off without having to wash the whole car. I'm pretty sure Spray & Gloss has a little something in it, but I use the other two products and not that one, so I couldn't really tell you.

The black Meguiar's Ultimate Detailer is awesome at everything and does leave a little synthetic something behind. The reason it is important to know if it is a straight up detailer or something with wax or sealant in it is because you don't want to get something with extra stuff in it on your glass or trim. It just causes streaks and makes a mess. But this is an awesome product that, while kind of spendy, goes a long way and is probably worth the money. One of the best off the shelf for sure.

The Eagle One Wax as You Dry product didn't do much for me. It took longer to use that product than it would to just dry the car and use a normal spray wax. I used it a couple times and then retired it to my Disgraced Products Shelf.

Mother's has a wax as you dry product which also sits on the DPS. ;) In fact, all wax as you dry products would probably end up there. There just isn't much that is good about them.

Most of the time if the product name has SPRAY WAX in the title you can be pretty assured it is going to have wax in it. How much is another story. For example, XMT Spray Wax is mostly quick detailer and some wax. But Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax is all wax. You apply that one by spraying it on a dry car and smearing it around and then going back to buff it off when you are done. It isn't a 'one wipe and you are done' kind of product like most spray waxes.

There are a couple spray sealants like that out there too. Wolfgang and Blackfire both have one and they are A W E S O M E if you ask me. Definitely not a quick detailer. You spray it on, wipe it around, and then go back and buff it off. Of course when I say 'wipe it around' I'm not just talking about random wipes like you are cleaning your kitchen counter. You wipe it on in straight lines and cover the whole car. Anyway, the result is a polymer protection which is about on par with most waxes in my experience. It is great for when you want a quick shine and actually want some durability to go with it.

Durability is an important note. Most all 'spray waxes' are going to give you a few days worth of durability in the sun. They just don't put down enough protection to give you any durability. It might make the car look pretty good for your date tonight, but as soon as you can break out a jar or bottle of real wax you should definitely do that.

The other downside is streaks. The more wax that is in the product means the more streaks you could potentially cause. More wax means less cleaning power, so that car better be really clean and your towel better be clean too. Dirty towel or dirty car equals streaks when using a spray wax or sealant. Nothing that can't be cured with a dry towel, but the more you make contact with your paint means the more swirls you may introduce.

Honestly, in my opinion, spray waxes cause more damage than good. They might make your car look shiny tonight, but you may have swirled up your car or put streaks everywhere so that the shine is taking a back seat to how much the paint needs to be polished and cared for. I try not to use a quick detailer unless the car is very very clean and I already have a good layer of protection on the paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I can honestly say Optimum Car Wax is a spray and is pretty amazing. I will switching completely over to it as part of my regular maintenance as soon as I use all the other stuff I have. Could be awhile.

I forgot about that. I picked up about a dozen sample bottles of that a couple years ago at SEMA. They were packing them up and asked if I wanted the leftovers, so I jumped on them. ;) I use it for putting a little shine on door jambs and areas like that. It works really well if you ask me. Very shiny and glossy. More of a quick detailer with wax in it, but not too much. It doesn't streak like a heavier content spray wax would do. I put a couple bottles in my boys' detail bags so they can use it on their bikes and things like that. You can see one sitting in the pictures in this post. They have a Speed Shine which works really well too. Griot's doesn't make anything that isn't awesome, so you can always feel good about anything you buy from them.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I have the Meguiar's mirror glaze synthetic spray sealant. It works well. I use it after I wash and dry the car everytime to leave the "just sealed" feel on the finish.

It lasts a long time, and I even use it on the windows to repel the water, however it doesn't last as long as what Rain-X would.

I have been using Meguiar's syn spry wax for a year or so. I can say it doesn't make night and day difference, it seems to work somewhat, but the best thing is you can put it on wet while you dry and it makes microfibers absorb the water much much easier.

• 4 weeks later...
Eagle One spray nanowax. Love this stuff. You can appy it in the sun. Funny story; I was spraying the car down to wax it, I usually only do one panel at a time but I sprayed almost the whole car. I noticed the smell was different........I had sprayed Black Magic tire shine on the whole car, uggghhhhhhh!!!!

Eagle One spray nanowax. Love this stuff. You can appy it in the sun. Funny story; I was spraying the car down to wax it, I usually only do one panel at a time but I sprayed almost the whole car. I noticed the smell was different........I had sprayed Black Magic tire shine on the whole car, uggghhhhhhh!!!!

+1

http://www.eagleone.com/superior-nanowax-spray

I use this stuff, too after a wash and dry. Quickly applies to the car and wipes away clean. I LOVE how it beads the water, and my car looks great after a wax job from this stuff.

I HATE THEM!!! If you want water to really bead on your car you gotta use a polish wax.

We are talking more about using the spray between waxes. Not using this as an actual substitute for a wax job.

^^^ Yup. That. Spray waxes are meant to only be a booster between actual wax jobs. More of a "I've got a hot date and I want the valet to think my car looks awesome" kind of treatment. It takes nearly as long as actually waxing your car by the time you consider everything, but it is a little quicker and the right product can really add a nice temporary boost in shine.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived