LegacyGT.com

Eyesight

BlazingAsura

Adaptive cruise control would be awesome...depends on how much I would be willing to shell out for Eyesight.
Legacy Limiteds have the following packages available:

• Moonroof ($995)
  • Nav/Moonroof ($2645)
  • Eyesight/Nav/Moonroof ($3950)

So EyeSight is a $1305 premium over the Nav/Moonroof package. This puts a 2.5i Limited at $30,615 (add $300 for pzev), and 3.6R Limited at $33,615.

Legacy Limiteds have the following packages available:

• Moonroof ($995)
  • Nav/Moonroof ($2645)
  • Eyesight/Nav/Moonroof ($3950)

So EyeSight is a $1305 premium over the Nav/Moonroof package. This puts a 2.5i Limited at $30,615 (add $300 for pzev), and 3.6R Limited at $33,615.

I'd pay $1500 but I won't pay for NAV I don't need. So for me its $1500 over priced.

Make it $500 and i'd buy it.

I also would never use car nav over my droid, so that makes eye sight waaaaaaay too expensive for me to even consider.

I price it like this $500 collision deductible, minimum $500 insurance hike over a few years, and $500 for adaptive cruise control. Of course for this logic to work you have to admit you're human and prone to making mistakes. :spin:

I've never hit someone and don't plan on it but I've got a lot of years left of driving and someday when I'm heading out to the Country Kitchen Buffet it might be best for me to have a safety program. I don't want the car to drive for me but a collision avoidance system is a good thing people!

My next car has to have some kind of proactive safety features. It works. My fiancée is a good driver, but Volvo's city stop kept her from accidentally rear ending someone. None of the guy's brake lights worked and he stopped short. The car decided that she couldn't apply enough brake pressure so it took over and completed the emergency stop.

So my next car/ SUV will be a Subaru with Eyesight or a Volvo.

I hope SOA decides to make Eyesight available in all the cars.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I've never hit someone and don't plan on it but I've got a lot of years left of driving and someday when I'm heading out to the Country Kitchen Buffet it might be best for me to have a safety program.

I agree. Eating at Country Kitchen Buffet is extremely unsafe.

Nice. Has it been recieved positively? I'm curious to see whether it has worked as designed (noticeable only when there is an emergency) or whether it has become a PITA.

Make it $500 and i'd buy it.

I also would never use car nav over my droid, so that makes eye sight waaaaaaay too expensive for me to even consider.

Couldn't agree more. Pioneer or someone else needs to make an adaptor to just plug the phone right into a touch screen for navigation in the car. Maybe like a single din flip out screen like the Avic N3.

Couldn't agree more. Pioneer or someone else needs to make an adaptor to just plug the phone right into a touch screen for navigation in the car. Maybe like a single din flip out screen like the Avic N3.

It's coming. I recently did a focus group for a market research company looking at "Infotainment and Telematics", and car manufacturers are developing screens that will do just that, mirror your smart phone's screen so you can control it through the car. I don't see why this is really any better than just using your effing phone, but then again, I don't try to understand most car marketing, because a lot of people will actually pay $3,000 or more for a nav system they'll hardly use :spin:.

I have awful eyesight. Ive been wearing glasses since 4th grade. they just seem to get worse and worse as I get older

At least you can wear black shirts though....I heard you can't get eyesight in black. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Every split second you take your eyes off the road or the time it takes you to react and apply the brakes is slower than a computer. I'm not saying you don't drive well enough to be fine but so many people think they're better and faster than a computer its kinda ridiculous. "But they're taking the driving experience away...." Uh huh sure :rolleyes:

Sorry, but computers can only react. They have no awareness of the difference between potential vs actual, nor can they anticipate.

They are very good at doing what they're programmed to do. However, that programming is in no way guaranteed to match what you'd be doing under the same circumstances, and there are times when it could get in your way. ESC already can work at cross-purposes to what a good driver might prefer to be doing, and even ABS can activate needlessly once in a while.

You'll have to tell us how well you like active cruise control once a few cars squeeze a little too closely in front of you and kick your car into an unexpected decel mode.

Meanwhile, I actually do have sufficient basis for belief that my own driving skill level is good enough to rely on exclusively, and knowledge that my wife can make the same claim. Maybe that's because we both started driving in the 1960's (when none of the nannies even existed and you had to rely on your own self and actually learn from any mistakes), or maybe it's because we've owned only stick-shift cars (which I am convinced that the operation of which tends to keep your focus a little closer on the overall physical operation of your car). Maybe both . . .

Norm

Sorry, but computers can only react. They have no awareness of the difference between potential vs actual, nor can they anticipate.

They are very good at doing what they're programmed to do. However, that programming is in no way guaranteed to match what you'd be doing under the same circumstances, and there are times when it could get in your way. ESC already can work at cross-purposes to what a good driver might prefer to be doing, and even ABS can activate needlessly once in a while.

You'll have to tell us how well you like active cruise control once a few cars squeeze a little too closely in front of you and kick your car into an unexpected decel mode.

Meanwhile, I actually do have sufficient basis for belief that my own driving skill level is good enough to rely on exclusively, and knowledge that my wife can make the same claim. Maybe that's because we both started driving in the 1960's (when none of the nannies even existed and you had to rely on your own self and actually learn from any mistakes), or maybe it's because we've owned only stick-shift cars (which I am convinced that the operation of which tends to keep your focus a little closer on the overall physical operation of your car). Maybe both . . .

Norm

Blah blah blah blah. To answer your question when you get cut off it just lets go of the gas until the gap is correct just like you would driving. It only slams on the brakes if thats the only option.

Blah blah blah blah. To answer your question when you get cut off it just lets go of the gas until the gap is correct just like you would driving. It only slams on the brakes if thats the only option.

I can tell you if a human passenger did either of those things they'd get back-handed and sent walking. Why should I accept the same sort of surprise from the electronics?

In case you've forgotten (or never learned), surprises encountered while driving are not good things. At best, they momentarily disrupt your thought process (which I hope I can assume is on driving).

You can either pay attention or stick your head back in the sand. Your choice.

Norm

I'm almost old enough to be crotchety, and sometimes I just see things from a different point of view. Old enough to know myself and why I stand where I do on the matter of electronic intervention with my driving.

FWIW, I'm not into short-cutting the text just to sound like everybody else who has to fire off a snappy reply on some random topic.

Just for you, NN, I'm not afraid to actively stick my name at the end of what I post. I don't need to hide. You don't have to appreciate it.

Norm

I'm almost old enough to be crotchety.

Oh no, you've hit crotchety by now I'm sure.

Just for you, NN, I'm not afraid to actively stick my name at the end of what I post. I don't need to hide. You don't have to appreciate it.

Hi Norm, my name is Benn, hence the screen name. I sign lots of post when I feel it's relevant, such as when writing a review post. I just don't feel the need to end every single comment with my moniker. Especially if I were using my full name as my screen name like yourself, Norm Peterson. Brilliant.

:rolleyes:.

Make sure you edit your post a couple times too, like every post you write....gotta be just right!!

Archived