LegacyGT.com

Turbo Recommendations?

Because these people want to run around with 400whp (semi) reliably. If OP really wants to stick with stock gas, then by reading up he'll realize that he'll be prone to detonation. He can and will get to 400whp with pump gas and no alky, but he'll be flirting with destroying his motor.

Completely agree. I claim he's definitely going to blow the motor in short order without octane enhancement.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow that's a lot of info. I would be happy in the 350+ range for now. I'm going to build the block LATER down the line. I've already ordered an AP, up pipe, down pipe, exhaust. Next will be the 3 port bcs. Idk what else next. I've loaded a Cobb stage 1 right now for kicks, and honestly I don't see much of a difference. When all my stage 2 bits arrive hopefully it'll put a smile on my face. What other mods should I consider. I have about $1300 this check to play with.

Wow that's a lot of info. I would be happy in the 350+ range for now. I'm going to build the block LATER down the line. I've already ordered an AP, up pipe, down pipe, exhaust. Next will be the 3 port bcs. Idk what else next. I've loaded a Cobb stage 1 right now for kicks, and honestly I don't see much of a difference. When all my stage 2 bits arrive hopefully it'll put a smile on my face. What other mods should I consider. I have about $1300 this check to play with.

IMHO.....go with what you just bought, and add a used vf52 turbo (~$600, off a wrx), "bulletproof" mod your stock TMIC, and optionally a kctech stockMAF intake. Find a good shop and get a custom tune. Should put you around 280whp, or equivalent to a stage 2 '09+ wrx without having to mess with the fuel system or anything else too involved. Live with it and see if it is enough power for you, should be plenty reliable.

IMHO.....go with what you just bought, and add a used vf52 turbo (~$600, off a wrx), "bulletproof" mod your stock TMIC, and optionally a kctech stockMAF intake. Find a good shop and get a custom tune. Should put you around 280whp, or equivalent to a stage 2 '09+ wrx without having to mess with the fuel system or anything else too involved. Live with it and see if it is enough power for you, should be plenty reliable.

Wait, what? That's ridiculous advice.

lol

In your honest opinion... do you think he should get a tune with that setup or blow his motor with that setup?

Honestly, he could run all that without a tune, as long as the boost was kept at or near stock levels. But I would suggest a tune!!! I'm pretty sure a OTS stage II map would would work ok-ish though, with the VF52. But I would get a custom tune personally.

You're starting to grow on me. :wub:

Thanks for taking me off of ignore. That's a step in the right direction. The next step is showing people your beautiful face via avatar. Once you've done that, you can grow up to be a big boy, donate, and see the real threads in the donator's subforum.

lol

Thanks for taking me off of ignore. That's a step in the right direction. The next step is showing people your beautiful face via avatar. Once you've done that, you can grow up to be a big boy, donate, and see the real threads in the donator's subforum.

Sorry, you're still on ignore. I have to click the show post button. :lol:

I tried to be nice and patient with him at first but even i have grown tired of him. I can't see how 280whp is close enough to the 400whp the op originally set the bar at. Maybe he can reach that with 87 since some people think that they really are interchangeable as well.

Please stop doing things to your car and trying to advise people what they should do with theirs. I think you are devaluing every member's vehicle by posting the dumb crap and if anyone assumes that the rest of the community is anywhere near your level my car isn't going to be worth a pinch of feces in 2 weeks.

I tried to be nice and patient with him at first but even i have grown tired of him. I can't see how 280whp is close enough to the 400whp the op originally set the bar at. Maybe he can reach that with 87 since some people think that they really are interchangeable as well.

Please stop doing things to your car and trying to advise people what they should do with theirs. I think you are devaluing every member's vehicle by posting the dumb crap and if anyone assumes that the rest of the community is anywhere near your level my car isn't going to be worth a pinch of feces in 2 weeks.

Thaaaaaaaaank you!

Link 1: Top mount intercooler and stock internals.

If the motor could rev to 8-8500, for sure we would be able to make the power that a 30R is truely capable of on pump

Link 2: 2.0L motor

Link 3: CA 91 octane and smaller turbo than scoobyscoodle mentioned.

Link 4: Conservative tune during break in and likely not the optimum turbo

With the .82 at 27psi peak and 24-25 at redline with Meth Spray I did 470 lb-ft of torque and 430 whp, but I doubt I could get that much whp with the .63. Once I get a few more miles on the shortblock I'll turn up the boost a bit in the midrange and see how it does. I did manage a few pulls at 400-405 lb-ft while tuning.

Link 5: Stock internals, stock clutch

Link 6: Again... wrong turbo and stock TMIC...

lol

Maybe on a high reading dyno.

I guess they didnt have enough supporting mods :lol:

Agree....here is the compressor map. It barely makes it to 50 lb/min, it will be possible, but challenging to hit 400 whp with this. Would not do without race gas.

http://www.atpturbo.com/root/maps/images/gt30rcompress.gif

:lol:

I think I was fair in pointing out some of the MANY challenges in bringing one of these cars to around 400whp, having done it myself with a similar car.

I point to the 280whp / vf52 / stock fuel mod (aka wrx stage 2) level because IMHO is it the sweet spot on these cars. Factoring reliability, longevity, drivablity, practicality, cost, ease of mod - it is a pretty substantial jump in power. Do that, make the handing/braking mods to support it, then decide if it's worth it to go further. This advise or similar has been given out countless times.

While we're at it.....you got a uppipe with a 45mm inner diameter, and a flex section......right......?

Yes minus the flex section. Should I have ordered a flex? I was worried about leaking.

Archived