LegacyGT.com

LGT/XT: 2005/06 vs 2007

Ok guys, I have been looking for an OBXT for a little while now. And I can't decide if I should get a 2005/6 or 2007.

Apart from the catless UP and SI drive, what are the pros and cons that an '07 would have over an '05/'06? Or vice versa.

My goal is NOT going to be to create a high horsepower beast. That will come after the car is retired from being a DD. My main goal is to have a reliable, fun car to drive. I know some of you will say just get the 2.5i with suspension upgrades then, but I want the turbo.

So what are your opinions? (Yes, I searched, but I could not find a thread that plainly listed the pros and cons of each. Please point me in the right direction if it exists.)

Is the 07 a 5mt or a 5eat tranny ?

The manual trannys will handle more HP.

My 2005 wagon is my DD and it has 280whp. Why not do the mods now?

"I know some of you will say just get the 2.5i with suspension upgrades",

Who in there right mind would say that ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not meaning the veterans of this forum, sorry. Some of the noobs think that if you don't want to modify the car, you should have just bought a 2.5i.

I will only be buying a 5mt.

And the reason for not modifying now is to keep it as reliable as possible. Unless a tune and light mods really would not hurt the longevity of the car??

Thank you for the replies!

a 07+ vehicle will be more reliable and has a better dash imo. Better turbo and oil supply to the turbo so no issues with blown turbo's.

better dash? how so ?

my 05 (the most raw year btw) has zero issues engine wise and i have 142k miles w/the stock turbo!

Well my cluster atleast is better. The woodgrain accents are personal preference. Also aux and having the srs mode on the system is a nice bonus.

http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2009-subaru-legacy-4-door-h4-auto-gt-ltd-instrument-cluster_100244916_l.jpg

also subaru changed where the banjo bolt location is I assume to equalize the length of the oil line to the turbo and avcs solenoid and changed to a vf46. They must have reasons for updating the design IMO.

I am sure if you do regular maintenance and keep up with the schedule doing 3k oil changes the 05-06 would be fine. But many push that 5-6k interval and I guess it was more risky.

better to YOU i suppose, AUX? i have 2 PLUS direct ipod hookup. wood grain looks like crap imo. but to each their own.

not taking away from the 07 looks but i think were splitting hairs here.

05-06 dash below for your viewing pleasure ;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=122234&d=1341869774

Nothing really other than slightly different in and exteriors(slightly).

Buy which ever one is available and with a great price and with an healthy engine. If it happens to be an 05 or 07 so be it, either way it's a subaru, so it's reliable.

its all automagic non sense i guess. I don't know sounds like you guys are jealous of that beautiful screen on the tach ;)

Not me, My 09 SpecB has a nice dash, but my 05 wagon has much more HP. Like it was said, the 05 is very raw. It's more of a man's car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

For sedans, 07+ have folding rear seats which is a huge bonus. SI drive is a nice feature for the 5EAT because it effects the transmission shift logic as well.

The VF46 in 07+ is probably slightly more reliable, but all will be sensitive to maintaining a regular 3750 OCI. A well maintained 05/06 is probably better than an unknown 07.

I also like NOT having SI drive, pretty useless knob IMHO, and one more thing to malfunction.

I seem to be one of the few people on here that actually like the SI drive. Sure its kinda gimmicky, but I like having the option to adjust my throttle response... It makes stop and go traffic much easier.

OP I think you should look for the car that seems to be best maintained and lowest miles, and not worry so much about the year of manufacture.

Oh an +1 for the folding rear seat. That is super handy.

a 07+ vehicle will be more reliable and has a better dash imo. Better turbo and oil supply to the turbo so no issues with blown turbo's.

Well said. I am eating ramen noodles everyday because I am poor from buying parts for my blown turbo on my 05.

ya i honestly feel bad reading all these blown turbo than knocking engine threads. No one can argue that the sooo unraw 07+ oil supply and turbo is a gimmick.

Nice so the 05-06 is soooo much more raw talk about 05-06 fan boys wtf does that mean ??? Because i have that little screen and a knob that adjusts throttle response the car is suddenly no longer a raw car which if you cant tell im being sarcastic both cars are very refined and smooth compared to most subies.

Raw, as in noisy, rough, you feel more of the road.

But it does have good feedback and steering feel.

Archived