LegacyGT.com

Speakers/Audio

It is a stock stereo. Yes they work however, the front passenger side comes on more often. I did look at the speakers and am fairly certain they are aftermarket speakers. The only thing is that I have messed with all the connections.

Sounds like a loose connection to me. Does it pop in and out? Is just one side or speaker cutting out? or all speakers cutting out? If all speakers are cutting out at once is the radio losing power? If you take tge radio out is there any evidence of splicing in the Radio wiring harness? Someone could have made a bad splice trying to intercept a remote turnon wire for an amp.

Oops just read the last post. Take out the speaker and check the connection, most likely a butt connector has come loose

I got one to work every once in a while, but the other I think is blown. I can turn on and off the radio fast and it does make a sound. I think I will just replace the front speakers. Any ideas on what size to get that would be best? No preference on what kind, as I am a family man who doesn't need my ride pimped....LOL.

6.5" speakers will fit, or even 6". The 6" will require you to drill a few holes or use self tapping metal screws to bolt in your new speaker. The stock 6.5" speakers are attached to a baffle that was not designed to be removed. I just lined up my new 6" speakers and pre drilled some three holes and used some sheet metal screws to attach them.

For $50 I installed some Pioneer coaxials that I bought from BestBuy and they are great for the price. I checked out some Sony Xplodes for $10 less and they were not nearly as good. However, I have some Xplodes installed in the rear and they are pretty good. For $90 you can get some Kickers and they are an improvement and sound great. For $150 you can get some Polks and they sound awesome, but are a lot more than the Pioneers.

If you don't have any preference I'll send you my stock first gen speakers for $20 plus shipping, lol. But they aren't that great. Go with the Pioneers and you won't be dissapointed. :)

edit: Also check Craig'sList for 6" or 6.5" speakers. You will be amazed at the good deals you can find for not very much. People need food or rent and their sound systems are one of the first things to go.

I know. CL is great. My computer chair had a wheel that just broke off. I have had it for around 5 years or so. Looked on CL and within 10 minutes found a chair that is in amazing shape for free. I will look and if I don't find any I will definetly let you know. I could pay through Paypal or something...

I actually got that ring to come off of the

old speakers. If you take a small chisel you

can break the - was it weld spots? (It's been

a few years since I touched them) Either way

you can remove them from the stock speakers

and put your new speakers in that ring since

they will help to aim it correctly. Then just

drill into that ring or something and I'd put some

kind of silicone inbetween the speaker and ring

so it doesnt rattle. Heck, even double sided tape

would work awesome :D

I was wondering if you could do that. Another alternative is to get the baffles off a second gen. They are the exact same shape but plastic. They have torx screws that hold the speakers on. Either way make sure you put it back on the right way or your window will get stuck when you roll it down, lol.

Archived