LegacyGT.com

Right front clunk going over speed bumps?

96 Legacy Outback with a 2.2 swapped in.

I had bad swaybar end links so I replaced those. Clunk came back, turned out to be nuts on both end links worked themselves loose. Tightened them again; clunk only in right front turned out to be loose bolt AGAIN. CRANKED them the hell down and now the clunk is back.

Put the car back on the lift but all the bolts are tight still.

Ball joint looks new and tight.

Upper strut mount bolts are all tight.

Absolutely no slop in the bearing or steering tie rods.

With the right front wheel jacked an inch off the ground and with a large pry bar I can compress the strut spring about 1/2" and see the strut's center shaft move up and down a corresponding amount (more or less). Should the strut rod move that much in its' mount?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom

John,

I'm at a loss also. I thought for sure it was the sway bar end link bolts had loosened up again. When I found them very tight I looked elsewhere.

The U-shaped sway bar mounting bushings "look" okay, with no cracks or deterioration at all.

The up and down movement of the strut shaft has me worried though but I don't want to just replace them without more evidence or input from some of the Subie experts on the Forum.

I did find a bad lugnut and wheel stud while removing the tire; and wouldn't you know it I don't have a 12mm X 1.25 tap or die in my sets.

Tom

• I Donated

I think I have the tap/die in my tool box.

WRX struts have issues with clunking....they are greasable, but I've never heard of this issue on Legacys...

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Struts. i had a whole lot of clunking, thought for sure it was links, wound up blowing a rear strut and swapped out all four for kyb's and b+g 2 inch drop springs, anyway have not touched the links and my clunking is already gone. whole set of kyb's on ebay $299.

I wish I knew if this free play of the shaft in the rubber mount is normal. Does anybody know if I can compress the spring and remove the strut bearing without disconnecting the strut at the bottom?

These struts look good from the outside and I don't know if they are the originals or not.

Two things I hate about cars: replacing something that is not worn out AND going back in to replace the part NEXT to the part I just replaced. I hate doing things twice.

Tom

• I Donated
I don't think your struts are worn. Drive my car for 10 feet and you will know what worn struts feel like haha. Your car drives like a Cadillac compared to mine.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• 1 month later...

The passenger side rubber was gone for the most part from the rack mount. I pulled the U-clamp off and cut some 1/8" rubber sheeting to fit. Seems to have quieted the clunk down a lot. This will have to suffice untill I can get new bushings installed.

Tom

Archived