LegacyGT.com

!@#$%&ing liars!!!

TheOneDoubleN

This is a pointless thread but I need to vent some frustration.

So last time I was having the car dyno tuned after installing a downpipe, it was leaning out at 5500rpm and we didn't know why, so we had to stop the session (many hours and lots of money wasted). :spin:

The previous owner (from these forums) had swapped out the turbo w/ a VF39, and I was TOLD the pump replaced with an AVO unit. All the diagnostics we could do showed no faults with the fueling system. Finally as a precaution, I decided to try swapping out the fuel pump with a new one just in case there was an issue with the one in there.

Well guess what I pulled out? A STOCK DENSO F**KING FUEL PUMP!!! :mad:

Thank god I didn't blow my engine or cause any serious damage :spin:(known damage anyway, because who knows whether I did undetectable damage or not already) . If you're selling a modified car, it's your responsibility to tell the buyer about anything the car needs to be running the way it should. Ignorance is not an excuse either!

I understand your frustration but it's still buyer beware, modified or not.

Oh I know, which is why I'm not going to bother contacting him. It doesnt mean I'm not going to be ticked off though.:mad:

Lesson learned: Trust no one :rolleyes:

I don't see any point in contacting him. An explanation won't change what happened.
No, but if there's a good explanation for it (i.e. he bought the car 2nd hand from someone else, the work was done by someone else, etc. and even the PO was tricked.) then you at least you won't be pissed at him. You'd still be pissed, but his name would be cleared.

No, but if there's a good explanation for it (i.e. he bought the car 2nd hand from someone else, the work was done by someone else, etc. and even the PO was tricked.) then you at least you won't be pissed at him. You'd still be pissed, but his name would be cleared.

He was the one who did all the mods. The previous sole owner, an older lady, never touched a thing on the car. It was stock when he bought it.

Why would you take anyones word on it? You can be upset, but truthfully the responsibility lies on you as the owner to validate what anyone says. If you own the car, you need to check. It sucks that people don't know or are just flat out shady but thats the way life goes. If I was you and if this person was still in the community I'd ask for the difference of the fuel pump he said the car came with.

Also, theres no way you would blow the engine if you watch the afr during the pulls and let off before it goes lean. If you were beating on it without knowing the tune was good...well, thats never a good idea.

He was the one who did all the mods. The previous sole owner, an older lady, never touched a thing on the car. It was stock when he bought it.

The guy who told you all this... he was the same guy that said it has an AVO pump--right?

Tits mcgee

Why would you take anyones word on it? You can be upset, but truthfully the responsibility lies on you as the owner to validate what anyone says. If you own the car, you need to check. It sucks that people don't know or are just flat out shady but thats the way life goes. If I was you and if this person was still in the community I'd ask for the difference of the fuel pump he said the car came with.

Also, theres no way you would blow the engine if you watch the afr during the pulls and let off before it goes lean. If you were beating on it without knowing the tune was good...well, thats never a good idea.

I understand all this, but seeing how the car was tuned when I got it, and the logs I took showed no issues, I had no reason to believe it was necessary to take apart the fuel pump assembly just to verify what he was saying. If I were to follow that same logic, I would have disassembled the entire car (he swapped the transmission, drivetrain, intercooler, intake manifold, turbo, etc etc etc), which just isn't practical when you live in a condo complex and have no place to do your own labor.

I'm not saying it wasn't my responsibility to look into these things, I'm just venting some frustration after a lot of downtime and wasted money. :spin:

The guy who told you all this... he was the same guy that said it has an AVO pump--right?

Yes.

You buy racing equipment, don't trust, and verify. For all you know, he was told what kind of pump was installed, or he was screwed by somebody.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I understand all this, but seeing how the car was tuned when I got it, and the logs I took showed no issues, I had no reason to believe it was necessary to take apart the fuel pump assembly just to verify what he was saying. If I were to follow that same logic, I would have disassembled the entire car (he swapped the transmission, drivetrain, intercooler, intake manifold, turbo, etc etc etc), which just isn't practical when you live in a condo complex and have no place to do your own labor.

I'm not saying it wasn't my responsibility to look into these things, I'm just venting some frustration after a lot of downtime and wasted money. :spin:

Yes.

I hear you on the frustrating part. People are frustrating because you literally cant trust anyone anymore. Although I for the most part have have probably 80% of my transactions in this community go well and had honest people to deal with. Im lucky in that respect.

Lessons to be learned here:

1. DO NOT BUY A MODIFIED CAR WITHOUT RECIEPTS, particularly in an age where they are all stored ELECTRONICALLY.

2. Buyer beware

3. Call your friends to show up on his doorstep and handle getting reimbursed for a fuel pump before posting a thread. Some of us are very good at collections.

You buy racing equipment, don't trust, and verify. For all you know, he was told what kind of pump was installed, or he was screwed by somebody.

Rule 1

I hear you on the frustrating part. People are frustrating because you literally cant trust anyone anymore. Although I for the most part have have probably 80% of my transactions in this community go well and had honest people to deal with. Im lucky in that respect.

I would say 90% on LGT.com and 60% on NASIOC buuuuut the 30% difference is the people who what no idea what they have, whats wrong with it, or what it does. I've had to go see more than a few blown turbos just to explain that yes, son, that is indeed excessive shaft play. Have you ever held a NEW turbo in your hands? No? Oh, that would explain it.

Yes, I should consider myself lucky as well, as every other transaction on here has been great without any incidents. The vast majority of people I've met on here are honest, fair people.

And to be fair, yes, there's a chance that this guy was lied to by the installer, I have considered that, which is another reason I'm not going to contact him and chew him out, but obviously someone in the chain here (whether it's the previous owner, or the installer) was dishonest, and nothing bothers me more.

The guy was upfront about everything else, which does make me believe it's very possible the installer lied to him. Either way, someone's karma points are going down!

Again, I'm not looking for any kind of vengance against anyone here, just venting some frustration!

I dunno - I suspect the piece is actually an AVO fuel pump and it is faulty. My AVO exhibited leaning on the high end too (on E85), that is the reason it is sitting in my garage.

I don;t get why anyone would lie about an upgraded fuel pump? It's not like it adds a ton of value to the potential sale.

Lessons to be learned here:

1. DO NOT BUY A MODIFIED CAR WITHOUT RECIEPTS, particularly in an age where they are all stored ELECTRONICALLY.

2. Buyer beware

3. Call your friends to show up on his doorstep and handle getting reimbursed for a fuel pump before posting a thread. Some of us are very good at collections.

Well unfortunately there was no documentation available. Believe me I asked. The shops he used were small tuning shops that don't necesarily keep electronic service records. I'm not going to look to get reimbursed either for the value of a fuel pump when I bought the car for cheap as it is, that's not my perogative.

I dunno - I suspect the piece is actually an AVO fuel pump and it is faulty. My AVO exhibited leaning on the high end too (on E85), that is the reason it is sitting in my garage.

I don;t get why anyone would lie about an upgraded fuel pump? It's not like it adds a ton of value to the potential sale.

True that's definitely a possibility.

I would second this... I had an AVO before my Aeromotive 340. It ran lean up top and eventually died.

Archived