LegacyGT.com

differential noise?

Hello all,

I believe i have a whining/whirring noise coming from one if not both my differentials. I just did my front brakes and test drove it around town (everything seems to be good!). When I came to a stop at my house with the car in drive i could still hear a whining coming from under the car. It has been like this for a while now. When i am accelerating i usually hear it coming from the back of the car. I believe today was the first time i noticed it in the front because i was listening for brake noise. So my next course of action is to change the differential fluid in each diff. Besides shavings, anything else i should be looking for while i'm under there? Also, just to be sure, is this a common occurrence on first gens?

Thanks

AWD, Automatic. 118,000 miles. It isn't a constant noise but i do occasionally hear it if i'm at a stop but in Drive. If i put it in neutral or park the noise goes away which leads me to believe its the diff. I know the front wheel bearings should be good becuase i just checked them for play. Haven't checked the back yet.

If it was the diff it would only make noise while the wheels were turning. Not sure on automatic transmission noises but it sounds like a tranny or torque converter to me. I would try changing the fluids, then if that didn't do it then I am not sure. A differential noise I think would be a rolling noise. At idle in drive but not moving sounds like a torque convertor. Does it make the noise once your rolling anr at say 30 mph? I don't know what a auto trans sounds like when its going out.

yeah it seems to occur at all speeds. I noticed that if i press the gas it will get louder but once i take my foot off the gas it will be almost non existant. maybe it is a torque converter thing, i hadn't thought about that. The car bucks a little when the transmission shifts sometimes. I changed the transmission fluid a couple weeks ago and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

It seems a little too early for a torque convertor to go but I've had one go out at 120,000 miles on my 85 turbocoupe thunderbird. sounds like you gotta pull the motor or transmision. Bummer man. you can check with an AAMCO transmission shop or place like it, they could probably tell you for sure. do a junkyard swap, or order one at autozone if it is the convertor. Ive never had an auto subaru so I dont know how tough they are.

I'm not so sure it is the transmission though. Granted, it could play a part. I definitely hear the noise under the rear of the car and there is not transmission back there! I'll post back later after i do some more diagnosis. Thanks.

When you changed the trans fluid did you change the

filter too? Or did you have someone do it? You should

really drop the pan and clean the magnet and change

the filter if you haven't.

To check your rear diff fluid use a breaker bar and

stick the end of it in the top plug and reach your

finger in there and if it's almost right at the top at

least you have the right amount of fluid. Check the

fluid with a white paper towel and see if it's black.

If so, go get some new fluid. Drain it from the lower

plug and fill it through the upper plug. Put it in til it

just about overflows out of the top fill port. That's

how I've always done it. When you fill it, fill it with

75w-90. I personally put the severe gear oil from

Amsoil in it. This would be the cheapest place to

start if you find that it's not a wheel bearing.

Either way, not a bad idea to change out your

front/rear diff fluid regardless.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/images/P/svg_350pxh.jpg

@Legacy I don't believe the 90s had a filter. I think i read they had a mesh screen if anything at all. And thanks I know how to do the diff fluid, I'm sure it hasn't been done in a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: I had a friend of mine stick his head under the car when it was making the noise at a stoplight (in drive). The noise was coming from up front so it looks like you guys were right, transmission/ torque converter. I checked the fluid multiple times properly (car hot, in park after cycling through gears, running) and it seams to be between low and full. Unfortunately there are bubbles in the fluid which should mean that it is overfilled which just doesn't make sense to me since it checked out ok. A new transmission or tc is out of the question so what are some steps i could take from here out?

hmm, is the torque converter and transmission one unit?

i have access to a lift and help of some mechanics, how long does a job like this take?

if i were to replace it, is there any extra harm in letting the transmission completely wreck?

thanks

Yeah, I have a 2004 and 2005 Impreza WRX. When I bought my 2005, the differential went out shortly after. A Differential would sound like a grinding noise. As you drove, it would be louder and louder. At stop you would NOT hear it. Therefore, I would guarantee it isnt your Differential. Even though your tranny and front diff are both on the front of the car. I would deffinately check tranny.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I have a 1990 Legacy L with 78000 original miles on it. It has been a great car with little problem until a few days ago. I began hearing a slight noise beginning around 30 mph and a bit louder as speed picked up. I didn't pay a great deal of attention at the time. Last night though, the noise was again begun at 30 mph, but much louder and became worse. This morning I took the car to a mechanic friend and it was louder still and making an almost sporadic louder sound with it. In checking the fluids, the differential was found almost dry. I had the fluids changed not very long ago at a Mobile drive through and they changed the fluids. I am wondering if they drained the fluids and missed filling up the diff??

When I take the car out of gear while moving, the noise stops. When I rev the engine, everything is fine. It is shocking in that there has been no problem whatsoever prior to this. They are quoting as high as $2400 to repair and that is a bit over the top. They are saying that they will need to take a look inside and that parts for the fix are hard to find and expensive.

Not sure which way to go--repair, used, diff only (if fortunate).

Archived