LegacyGT.com

Doors will lock with the trunk open, with no warning beeps

For a while now I have noticed that I can lock the doors on the car with the trunk open, and when you close the drivers door you get the single beep confirming that your car is locked....(should be the sequence of 5 beeps)...then if you walk to the back of the car and close the trunk, it will again confirm with one beep that the car is locked (without actually hitting any buttons). To goo one step further, I can also remote start my car with the trunk open, AND open the trunk with the fob while the car has been remote started...without the car shutting off......

...all of that pretty much makes the factory "alarm" worthless.

:confused:

Any ideas anyone?

If you get a single beep the car IS telling you the trunk is open. Two consecutive beeps confirms the car is indeed locked.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

When you hit the lock button on the fob, the car beeps once (if all doors are closed)...if you leave a door open and hit the lock button you get 5 consecutive beeps... It's supposed to do that with the trunk open too, but now it doesn't...

1 beep for lock, two for unlock is how it's been since I bought the car in November of 06.

Sorry, I had it kind of mixed up. I just went and checked on one of my cars. 1 beep locked, 2 beeps unlocked, 5 short beeps doors locked and trunk open.
If you woke up today, you have another chance to do it right.

My 09 works as it's supposed to.

As long as the car locks, and the truck locks when you close it. What's the problem ?

Just make sure the trunk is locked before you leave the car after you close it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Right....but at night when I hit the lock button from the front door, it wont alert me that ive inadvertantly pressed the trunk button.....and that im, going to come out to an empty trunk in the morning...

All that being said, yes there is a light but the point is that the system isn't working like it should.

Is it so bad to expect things to work properly.... Thanks so much for your valuable opinion . When something suddenly doesnt work like it did, it means something has changed....i'd like to know why....thats all

....and thanks for telling me where I shouldn't put my keys...thats certainly the solution...:rolleyes:

Here's how I'm understanding it.

OP accidentally hits the trunk button on the fob, trunk pops open.

OP presses the "lock" button from inside his house - car used to beep 5 times to indicate the trunk is open and needs to be closed, but the car NOW only beeps once.

Does the button on the fob simply unlock the trunk or does it open the trunk? I don't know how it works on the sedan.

OP: Check the "door open" light on the dash. Open the trunk and get in the car with all the other doors closed. Does the "door open" light remain lit? Does it indicate that the trunk lid is the open door?

a separate button to open the trunk, op open the trunk see if the dash says it's open if not the switch in the trunk is bad not sure if it's in the latch or separate, believe it's in the latch tho

For those asking, when I unlock the trunk on my 09 Spec, it just unlocks, I have to go "pull" the trunk up. The gasket seals real tight.

My 05 wagon the hatch unlocks when you unlock the doors.

I'm thinking like it was said above, the lock mechanizim may be bad.

They are like $60.00 and easy to replace. I had to change the one out on my wagon last year.

If you have volt meter you may be able to run some test.

OP do you have the service manual ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I figured that the lock mech. May house the sensor, but the indicator on the dash works correctly, AND the light in the trunk works as designed....I do have the svc manual but I haven't decided really where to start:(

Op i just skimmed thru and read partly. What your saying is it used to work a certain way and now its not correct? You want it back to the old way correct? From what you say it has accidently opened in while in you pocket, my guess is you have changed the default setting by accident. You can control different funtions by pressing on the fob for certain seconds.

What i would do is look in the manual and see what sequence you have to do to revert it back to default. Or call the subaru dealer and ask service. Doubt theyll help but its worth a try.

I'm not very good with electrical, may be m sprank can help, PM him. He's real good.

I have a buddy who's a aero-space engineer who loves to dive into wiring. He figured out the lock problem with my hatch last summer.

Op i just skimmed thru and read partly. What your saying is it used to work a certain way and now its not correct? You want it back to the old way correct? From what you say it has accidently opened in while in you pocket, my guess is you have changed the default setting by accident. You can control different funtions by pressing on the fob for certain seconds.

What i would do is look in the manual and see what sequence you have to do to revert it back to default. Or call the subaru dealer and ask service. Doubt theyll help but its worth a try.

Very good Ed, that could be a possibility. Read the owners manual. I'm sure the service manual must have the directions too.

Thanks guys!...all valid responses :).... I'll look into the fob combo thing... I have disconnected the battery since then to no avail...

I fix electronics for a living, so im ok there, I was just hoping that someone would have an "oh that happened to me too, and this is what fixed it" post:lol:

Thanks so far !

• 4 weeks later...

Archived