LegacyGT.com

Add Volume buttons to steering Wheel? -Legacy 2008

Istvan_Sz

I checked the forum, but could not find exactly what I was looking for..

I just have cruise control unit on my steering wheel (On the right steeringspoke).

I would like to have volume control as well. (Left spoke).

I have dismounted the airbag before and I took the opportunity to see how the Cruise unit is wired.

A cord from the cruse unit (which is about the size of the gray part of the spoke) goes to the steering wheels center, and there is a fast connection.

A unit with both Cruise and volume unit have a cord to both units that comes from the same fast connection.

I contacted a local Subaru repair shop and they would get back to me because they did not know if programming is needed so the volume unit is recognized..

Not that I distrust them, but I bought an AUX IN kit last summer, and it was Plug-and-play, no programming was needed, just plug into the radio.

Should not it be the same thing? Connecting the volume+Cruise and you´re done?

Anyone know if the Volume+Cruise unit are plug-and-play?

Or is additional programming required?

The car is a Legacy 2008.

A nice illustrative picture...

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Subaru-Legacy_3.0_R_2008_800x600_wallpaper_06.jpg

I think this has been passed around a few times around here. I'm not sure if anyone ever figured out the answer. I remember some people found the part numbers for just the left-side radio buttons to add to their steering wheel, but I don't think they ever actually did it.

I'm subscribing in case anyone finds out the answer.

Been done and the question repeated, it's in the performance modification section.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-steering-wheel-radio-controls-26232.html

Thanks, I found that thread, but it treats the pre-facelift model.

I have a post-Facelift interior. Thants why I added a picture in my first post.

There is a difference.

What I know, it´s just plug n play 2007 -->

But the programming question remains...

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the new audio steering wheel control (SWC) buttons are plug-and-play in 2008-up models. See many threads compiled in this post:

(on SubaruForester.org)

As for 'programming', many of the 2005-2009 factory radios will automatically work with SWCs (even radios in cars that did not originally have the SWC buttons), but some factory radio models do not -- they simply do not have that capability.

What is the model number printed on the front of your factory radio?

Istvan_Sz, if you have the single-disc CD player then the steering wheel radio controls WILL NOT work. The head-unit does not recognize the signals from the steering wheel controls. You can not program the head-unit to recognize the controls, you will need to buy an adapter and program that instead.

If you have the 6-disc CD player then the controls should be recognized by the head-unit.

Also, in the US anyway, you can not just purchase the left side steering wheel radio controls, you must buy the SWC/Cruise Control combo.

What is the model number printed on the front of your factory radio?

Istvan_Sz, if you have the single-disc CD player then the steering wheel radio controls WILL NOT work. The head-unit does not recognize the signals from the steering wheel controls. You can not program the head-unit to recognize the controls, you will need to buy an adapter and program that instead.

If you have the 6-disc CD player then the controls should be recognized by the head-unit.

Also, in the US anyway, you can not just purchase the left side steering wheel radio controls, you must buy the SWC/Cruise Control combo.

Thank you both for the answer.

GX-204LE is printed on my radio, I guess thats a 6 CD changer too :)

Here´s a picture of the beauty.

http://i.imgur.com/4xIi0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
The GX-204LE has SWC capability. When you install the button pods, they should work immediately.

If you install the SWC buttons yourself, take (and post) pictures!

Thank you for the tip.

I brought the units. But did not install them myself. The local Subaru workshop installed it for about $50. That´s very cheap here in Sweden, so I let them install it with the upcoming service.

Anyhow, thank you all for the help!

Archived