LegacyGT.com

Straight Pipe Harmless?

the_IRONGIANT

Hi guys,

i'mt new to the forum and i wanted to start modding my subaru legacy gt. Its a 5 speed manual and obvi its a turbo. but im curious if it will hurt the engine to put a straight pipe exhaust on the car? People said that if there is no back pressure it will ruin the engine, thus causing to blow it. is that true? I wanna get some tips from veterans who always do this or ppl experienced in doing this

Only benefits are to be had by going to a straight pipe. Replace the phony stupid Y-tube and mufflers with a 3" pipe. Saves weight, scares women and children. I've been using this setup for years, and the cops don't bother me after they see I'm not a kid.

whats your set up from the up/dp down to the exhaust tips

Grimmspeed ported manifolds and crossover pipe, PDL downpipe with high flow cat, generic aftermarket up pipe (catless), Perrin midpipe, fabricated 3" tail pipe exiting on driver's side.

I found the catless dp and stock mid without mufflers to be to loud, I put the stock mufflers back on and put two washers between the Y pipe flange and muffler.

My 09 Spec has stock exhaust less mufflers, it sounds nice.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

should i also go with a catless downpipe as well to go along with a straight pipe?

Seriously, just get a custom catless downpipe to side exit exhaust. Just make sure get a tune or otherwise tweek boost control keep from overboosting. Or get a cutout. Or just let it dump under the car.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyRWhpCdAAs]Subaru Legacy muffler and resonator delete - YouTube[/ame]

i wanted my car to sound just like this but idk if he had a catless dp leading towards the deleted muffler and resonator

I almost went this route due to budget. Sure am glad I decided to not be cheap and got a nice exhaust system and catless dp. It sounds great and so happy I didn't hack my stock exhaust.

Archived