LegacyGT.com

Our car should have a 6 speed in it

Maybe its just my car and I should really look into it but when im doing like 65-70 miles an hour my tach says that its sitting at like 2800 RPM's. Are all of our LGT's like this or is it just mine. To me it seems really high and that if there was a six in it not only would be get better MPG(who cares about those) and we would also get more of a top speed.

Maybe its just my car and I should really look into it but when im doing like 65-70 miles an hour my tach says that its sitting at like 2800 RPM's. Are all of our LGT's like this or is it just mine. To me it seems really high and that if there was a six in it not only would be get better MPG(who cares about those) and we would also get more of a top speed.

spec.Bs have a 6 speed.

By that theory all WRX's should come with a 6 speed too.

^they should. i think most would agree that the 5mt should never have been put in subaru turbo cars in general, but subaru chose to save some cash. the 6mt is a great trans, and really should have been the only manual trans subaru used on all turbo cars since the 2002 wrx came out.

^they should. i think most would agree that the 5mt should never have been put in subaru turbo cars in general, but subaru chose to save some cash. the 6mt is a great trans, and really should have been the only manual trans subaru used on all turbo cars since the 2002 wrx came out.

Thank you. Isn't the 5th Gen LGT a 6 speed now? Does anyone make a 6 speed transmission for the LGT? Not going to do it, but I'm curious

I agree, it should come with a 6 speed. It's annoying sitting at 3000 RPM on the highway but at least that way you don't have to downshift to accelerate at a reasonable rate.

It wouldn't change the top speed since the car is limited to 136. With the limiter removed it's geared for about 160.

I agree, it should come with a 6 speed. It's annoying sitting at 3000 RPM on the highway but at least that way you don't have to downshift to accelerate at a reasonable rate.

It wouldn't change the top speed since the car is limited to 136. With the limiter removed it's geared for about 160.

On the highway I honestly feel like I'm in an old camaro with a 4 speed. Dad had one of those. God it was annoying. Be mashing gears and then looking for fifth. Oh yea, THERE IS NO 5th!!!!!! I feel like with the 5 speed though its causing a lot of wear and tear on the engine thats not needs. With a 6 it would slow those rotations down.

please don't assume that an additional gear = better gas mileage.

Gas mileage is dependent on the mechanics of the motor and the gearing of the transmission. By gearing I don't mean the # of gears, I mean the size.

I had a 5 speed in my WRX and could get 27/28 highway. I put in a 6 speed and got 24 at best on the highway.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

headgaskets aren't a problem on the ej255

Thats what I've been told. I still get bothered by it sometimes.

please don't assume that an additional gear = better gas mileage.

Gas mileage is dependent on the mechanics of the motor and the gearing of the transmission. By gearing I don't mean the # of gears, I mean the size.

I had a 5 speed in my WRX and could get 27/28 highway. I put in a 6 speed and got 24 at best on the highway.

That is very true. If they kept the same sizing going and added the nice appropriate size, do you think it would get better MPG?

I'm by no means an expert but I'm with BDII, the 6spd in my Spec B nets me right around 26/27 highway if I play very nice. Revs aren't that much different than your 5spd at highway speeds.

Having both cars, I like the 5 speed better for highway power. I only have to drop it down one gear to get great performance out of it.

Yes the Spec is nice for cruising and long drives with people in the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm by no means an expert but I'm with BDII, the 6spd in my Spec B nets me right around 26/27 highway if I play very nice. Revs aren't that much different than your 5spd at highway speeds.

Revs aren't that much different in which gear? when your in 5th or 6th?

Having both cars, I like the 5 speed better for highway power. I only have to drop it down one gear to get great performance out of it.

Whats your reasoning for like the 5 on the highway more? Just less gear dropping for power?

I have the 6 speed spec b and you find yourself shifting a whole lot more at the low gears, 1,2 and 3 are rather short gears and you always find yourself in 4th at a reasonable speed. When im driving on the highway and in 6th if i mash the pedal i do accelerate at a reasonable rate though. Im not sure how to the 5 spd since i only have a 5spd rx7 and those gears are supper long but i hear the 5 speed is much nicer for cruising and below 3K on the highway really isnt that bad

Whats your reasoning for like the 5 on the highway more? Just less gear dropping for power?

Yes.

May be once the Spec get's a DP and a stage 2 tune, I might be happier.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I disagree. 3rd gear on my 2006STi 6 speed was accessible and usable at speeds ranging from 20mph-70mph. Of course I had an ej207 with a 8000rpm rev limit.

Even with a 7400rev limit 3rd gear in an STi tranny is usable from 20mph-70mph.

It's not like I'm cruising in 6th and drop to 5, then 4 then 3rd. You go from 6th to 3rd and have a ton of power.

That is very true. If they kept the same sizing going and added the nice appropriate size, do you think it would get better MPG?

STi trannys are shitty on the highway because it's geared to keep the 2.5L Turbo in its power band in every gear. Every gear is designed short to make power by keeping the revs in the boost range.

The subaru 6 speed is purpose built and geared for the 2.5t motor. It's not geared for fuel economy like the 5 speed is, it's built to keep the car always in its powerband. My cruising RPM in my 5 speed was identical to my 6 speed at highway speeds, but I got worse MPG.

In order to get better gas mileage the entire gear set needs to be designed to keep the car out of its powerband. Long gears I suppose?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

^^^ WORD, IIRC 05, 5MT 5th gear is .75 & 05 STi 6MT, 6th gear is .78 75mph = 2900 rpms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

:confused: I only drop one gear to get great performance out of my 6MT.:rolleyes::):cool:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived