LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

You guys are lucky. If I try to launch, I can't get out of 1st gear

Hex, where those clutch packs at. I'm still waiting for that one guy to get his VB in so he can do mine. I need a clutch pack swap though

Send me a PM :)

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I have only 25K on the car and just two weeks ago went to stage 2. VF52/Full Exhaust and Open Source Tune. yesterday i had an issue getting 2-3rd to catch. basically what happened was i got on it getting on the freeway and when 3rd didnt catch the motor cut out and by then 3rd caught and smoothed out. My tuner told me the reason is he programmed to cut boost at rev-limiter, which hit because 3rd didnt catch. he was able to get the same issue every pull. he suggested doing a valve body mod to get more pressure and get a snappier shift. while that sounds good i have no clue where or how to do this and have not seen much on this issue for 09LGT. in addition i dont wanna polish a turd. any help, suggestions??

I really want to know what R&D have been done on your over-haul options. What power levels have been tested?

Inquiring minds want to know.

R&D? Hundreds of hours of OCD research, dozens of hours of build time, hundreds of hours of drive time on a well beaten 321 whp car.

So Kouki, are you the vendor now, or is ClimberD?

It seems that much of the info thrown around here is hypothetical and possibilities rather than an available product for purchase that has been thoroughly tested.

It depends on what you're buying. I'll be selling the clutch pack kits and rebuild kits. ClimberD will be focusing on valve bodies, center diff bushings, as well as full transmission rebuilds using my rebuild kits, his VB mods and diff bushings.

The kits are nearing readiness for shipping. Some will ship in June, but I won't be taking orders until they're ready for packaging. Even then, ClimberD and dr20t have dibs on the first kits. I've been waiting to receive the final custom steels for the full bore stage 3 5EAT kit, which is what's holding things up. Those will be the first to ship and will eat up the two core sets I've got to work with. I'll order additional 5EATs for cores once things get under way. I don't suspect there will we more than 3 or 4 available at any given time though.

But yes, they're real. There will be limited availability initially, with production spinning up to slightly higher numbers by July or August. As far as testing, I've only got one car to test with and am not fond of swapping transmissions regularly. In the end, the community will be the testers. That's just the way it's going to have to be. I'm confident of the product though, and think everyone will be quite pleased with it.

In the end, I think it will be the best option for a lot of folks. It will be cheaper than the IPT rebuild service, with equal or better parts than they offer in their kits. There will be lower turnaround time, with the ability to do a rebuild locally rather than shipping your transmission out and having the car down during the process.

ClimberD and I are collaborating on a posting introducing the product line. Expect to read more about it in the next couple of weeks, possibly sooner.

A few guys have mentioned the issues of not being able to shift between gears. I have a 5EAT that is equivalent to an 08+ in the states, dr20t has a 5EAT equivalent to your 03-07 models. Both of us have an issue of boost/fuel cut when going from 1st to 2nd on high boost, afaik dr20t has the issue sometimes from 3rd to 4th as well occasionally.

Both our cars are at around 340-350 whp, and both of our cars have set 12 second quarter mile times, his best being 12.21, my best being 12.55 but my time was set with this issue occurring between 1st and 2nd gear. This issue does not happen when I run my low boost setting of 18psi, unless it is a really cold night, our high boost settings are similar at 20-21 psi.

This has been attributed (rightly or wrongly) to the HKS EVC that we use holding boost to redline, the car revving out too fast for the TCU to recognise it needs to shift, then the car hitting the boost/fuel cut limit and cutting power for that split second. The tuner is not able to taper boost with this boost controller. However, the perceived fix is that we use the HKS Ezy Writer which is software and a hardware unit that connects into the boost controller. It can be used to give the tuner flexibility to taper boost.

I'm hoping that once these changes have been made the issue will be alleviated and I can finally get the low 12 second pass I've been wanting!

In other news, I launched my car fairly hard the other night, but failed to hold onto the brake hard enough as my car crept forward while stalling up. This is very very bad and I now have what sounds to be a bearing noise upon light throttle in certain situations. Fairly certain I have done some damage to the centre diff. After countless launches at the drags and otherwise, I can't believe I was stupid enough not to press the brake pedal hard enough! Lax moment of concentration but the good news is nothing has broken, but it sounds to be on the way out!

That is all, sorry for the wall of text!

It depends on what you're buying. I'll be selling the clutch pack kits and rebuild kits. ClimberD will be focusing on valve bodies, center diff bushings, as well as full transmission rebuilds using my rebuild kits, his VB mods and diff bushings.

The kits are nearing readiness for shipping. Some will ship in June, but I won't be taking orders until they're ready for packaging. Even then, ClimberD and dr20t have dibs on the first kits. I've been waiting to receive the final custom steels for the full bore stage 3 5EAT kit, which is what's holding things up. Those will be the first to ship and will eat up the two core sets I've got to work with. I'll order additional 5EATs for cores once things get under way. I don't suspect there will we more than 3 or 4 available at any given time though.

But yes, they're real. There will be limited availability initially, with production spinning up to slightly higher numbers by July or August. As far as testing, I've only got one car to test with and am not fond of swapping transmissions regularly. In the end, the community will be the testers. That's just the way it's going to have to be. I'm confident of the product though, and think everyone will be quite pleased with it.

In the end, I think it will be the best option for a lot of folks. It will be cheaper than the IPT rebuild service, with equal or better parts than they offer in their kits. There will be lower turnaround time, with the ability to do a rebuild locally rather than shipping your transmission out and having the car down during the process.

ClimberD and I are collaborating on a posting introducing the product line. Expect to read more about it in the next couple of weeks, possibly sooner.

You've got a PM

ok sooooo..... my trans decided to no longer put power down past 2nd gear.. I can still feel each gear engage, and reverse 1 & 2nd seem to work the same as normal... im assuming the trans is shot, although I'm hoping its primarily the torque converter gave out. I'm going to drop the pan hopefully this weekend and check to see how much debris is in there. aside from that any other recommendations on what I can do to further diagnose the issue???

also, does anybody have any experience / feedback on the level 10 TQ converter and 'bulletproof' 5eat rebuild kit?!?! halp meeee

Absolutely cannot wait for my rebuild stage 3 kit from kouki and climber

Really looking forward to turning boost up and cracking close to 500whp :)

I must commend these two gents on the amount of r&d and work they have put into this kit. For those unaware, these boxes are quite complex in comparison to your conventional automatic, and finding the correct clutches and frictions / steels that will suit what is trying to be achieved (more clutch packs for greater durability and strength), as well as finding a competent and willing machinist to allow the drums to take the maximum additional clutch packs - is no easy feat.

Hats off to these guys for their efforts which hopefully will allow the benefits to be reaped by the 5eat community

Mick

Gday Mick, Sooo the USA R&D department are getting the kit together for you:)

Just PM'd them to find out price etc, this could save my local guy heaps of time and me potential issues.

We will both be giving these 5EATs the acid test with many ponies.....

J

ok sooooo..... my trans decided to no longer put power down past 2nd gear.. I can still feel each gear engage, and reverse 1 & 2nd seem to work the same as normal... im assuming the trans is shot, although I'm hoping its primarily the torque converter gave out. I'm going to drop the pan hopefully this weekend and check to see how much debris is in there. aside from that any other recommendations on what I can do to further diagnose the issue???

also, does anybody have any experience / feedback on the level 10 TQ converter and 'bulletproof' 5eat rebuild kit?!?! halp meeee

I do not know about the Level 10 product offerings, but I do know enough about off the shelf rebuild kits to say that you should really have a good understanding of tolerances if you are going to refresh your own clutch packs.

I've teamed up with KoukiS14 so that between the two of us we can have all aspects of the 5EAT covered. He is pre-releasing plug & play clutch pack and rebuild kits. The clutch packs are precisely toleranced on not one but two axes. They are far superior in a ways that neither stock or regular rebuild kits can match.

Absolutely cannot wait for my rebuild stage 3 kit from kouki and climber

Really looking forward to turning boost up and cracking close to 500whp :)

I must commend these two gents on the amount of r&d and work they have put into this kit. For those unaware, these boxes are quite complex in comparison to your conventional automatic, and finding the correct clutches and frictions / steels that will suit what is trying to be achieved (more clutch packs for greater durability and strength), as well as finding a competent and willing machinist to allow the drums to take the maximum additional clutch packs - is no easy feat.

Hats off to these guys for their efforts which hopefully will allow the benefits to be reaped by the 5eat community

Mick

Gday Mick, Sooo the USA R&D department are getting the kit together for you:)

Just PM'd them to find out price etc, this could save my local guy heaps of time and me potential issues.

We will both be giving these 5EATs the acid test with many ponies.....

J

Thank you both. We're excited to get these 5EAT solutions behind such powerful engines.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I do not know about the Level 10 product offerings, but I do know enough about off the shelf rebuild kits to say that you should really have a good understanding of tolerances if you are going to refresh your own clutch packs.

I've teamed up with KoukiS14 so that between the two of us we can have all aspects of the 5EAT covered. He is pre-releasing plug & play clutch pack and rebuild kits. The clutch packs are precisely toleranced on not one but two axes. They are far superior in a ways that neither stock or regular rebuild kits can match.

ok sooo.... where can I find details on his kits?? I really need to get my baby on the road. and I know you're workin on it.. but 08 VBs in the near future??

Rome yes it is but the valve body from climber d is not ready yet

Yeh but you had an issue with using a post facelift box in your pre, why won't I have the same issue with using the pre facelift in the post?

Which one of you "Aussies" has "throttlehappy" email address?

Has he tuned either of your cars and your 5EAT's?

And yes both of us have had our cars tuned by throttlehappy