LegacyGT.com

Oil Pan Removal

And so it continues... Just called Advance before I drive there. Sure enough, the driver never showed up for work last night, so the pan should be there after 12:30 today.

I will call before I drive over.

They have the sealant and a Felpro gasket.

Question for those that know, did you just use the sealant or did you use both gasket and sealant ?

Worried about messing up sealant trying to wiggle the pan on the block.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

cork, that's kind of what I was thinking. Bond the cork gasket to the block, then raise the pan to meet it. Hopefully that way I can make sure that the bolt holes are open.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Can the dipstick come out without removing the back timing cover? 

For the oil pan I use a regular cork gasket from autozone or whatever auto parts store, I was like wtf when I learned they actually make gaskets for this block so you don't have to mess with all that glue and curing time nonsense. Not sure why subaru uses sealant instead of simple gasket... makes life easier and cleaner.  When your done, you jump in and drive, with the sealant you have to wait what like 24 hours to cure? 

I also loctite those oil pan bolts. I wouldn't with the sealant but with a gasket yea. 

5 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Can the dipstick come out without removing the back timing cover? 

For the oil pan I use a regular cork gasket from autozone or whatever auto parts store, I was like wtf when I learned they actually make gaskets for this block so you don't have to mess with all that glue and curing time nonsense. Not sure why subaru uses sealant instead of simple gasket... makes life easier and cleaner.  When your done, you jump in and drive, with the sealant you have to wait what like 24 hours to cure? 

I also loctite those oil pan bolts. I wouldn't with the sealant but with a gasket yea. 

Thanks, that's great info.  That's one thing I have been wondering about. I'll just use a little sealant on the cork to hold it to the block.

Yes, the dipstick will slip out of the oil pan tube. Out took an hour or so for the Aero-Kroil to do its thing, but the tube did slide out with some light twisting and slight prying against the exhaust manifold.

DSCN9843.JPG

Here's a reply from "cardoc",

Drop the manifold, jack up the engine so you have room to get the pan out/in. Remove the dipstick tube or you'll have problems getting the pan diwn. You will need to cut through the RTV bonding the pan to the block. A flat blade puddy scraper and a hammer works. Once part of the pan is separated from the block it will pry off easier.

Razor blade or similar to get the old RTV off the block.

If you use a gasket, bond it to the pan and let it sit for a while to set so it doesn't shift on you. If you go with just RTV, ultra grey is best, let the RTV set for 5 minutes on the pan before you put it back in and try not to scrape the RTV off setting the pan in place.

Don't overtighten the screws.

If you can't get the engine high enough to make room for the pan to clear the sump pipe, drain the coolant and remove the radiator hoses so you can get higher. I didn't put it in the previous post, but you will need to remove the pitch stop along with the engine mount nuts/washers.

Just called Advance, the oil pan is there. I'll grab it tomorrow after lunch. Busy the next couple of day's and it's hot, so I'll wait until mid-week to install. 

I remember a trick I read when I was considering replacing my oil pan. Cut the heads off some m6 x 1.0 bolts to make studs, and thread them into the block to act as studs to help align the pan.

Edited by apexi
wrote "the oil block" instead of "the block" for some reason
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, apexi said:

I remember a trick I read when I was considering replacing my oil pan. Cut the heads off some m6 x 1.0 bolts to make studs, and thread them into the oil block to act as studs to help align the pan.

That's a good idea. 

Yesterday I picked up the oil pan, haven't opened the box yet. I ordered a new coolant crossover pipe for the oil cooler, you can see it in the photo above.

Also bought black RTV as it's for oil pans.

I'm waiting for the weather to cool off, so it may be 3 or 4 days before I finish this.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:12 AM, Max Capacity said:

And so it continues... Just called Advance before I drive there. Sure enough, the driver never showed up for work last night, so the pan should be there after 12:30 today.

I will call before I drive over.

They have the sealant and a Felpro gasket.

Question for those that know, did you just use the sealant or did you use both gasket and sealant ?

Worried about messing up sealant trying to wiggle the pan on the block.

Max, what is the FelPro gasket for?  Oil pan is sealed using the gray sealant. 

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

28 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

Biggest thing is to loctite the bolts if you run a gasket. Can't stress that enough!

I'll grab some loctite today. Thanks.

That would be Loctite Blue 242 ?

3 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

That would be Loctite Blue 242 ?

yeah 242 or 243. I think 243  is a little better if you see it. 243 is better on "inactive" metals, and has better resistance to oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid

blueloctite.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Here's the old crossover tube, it came off pretty easy, I let the Aero-Kroil do its thing for an hour or so on the small bolt, even sprayed the back end of it under the water pump. The pipe was new May 2012.

DSCN9847.JPG

The second photo is the pipe the car came with, when it was built May 28 2004.

DSCN4727.JPG

I opened the pan box, it looks like it's for a ej253. Advance says the pans are interchangeable. Dorman P/N on box is 264-601, the other Dorman pan is 264-155 which is the same as the Spectra pan fora GT on their website, SUP04B. Which has the drain plug on the same side as the dipstick. 

This pan has the drain plug on the wrong side. The under engine cover will not have a drain hole opening.

Edit Friday evening, the engine bottom cover does have an oil plug drain hole on the other side of center, so maybe the 2.5i pan will work. But I'd rather have what the car came with. 

So, it's two weeks for the oil pan from Advance. I said never mind.

Before I left the store, I called my buddy at the local dealership, they'll have the oil pan tomorrow, my cost $123.00. 

• Like 1

And so it continues. The Dealer will have the correct pan for a GT on Saturday. My three buddies were all there today when I stopped in to pick up the pan. Before he got close to me with the pan, I told him, "that's the wrong pan".  I could see it from 12ft away.  Seems the other guy, who commented on what a sweet ride my 05 GT wagon was, clicked on the wrong car in my profile at the Dealership. The Parts Manager told me they had me having a 05 2.5i wagon too. We fixed that in their system.

Unlike the Dorman pan for the 2.5i ej253, this pan did have the drain tube in the corner of the pan which mate's to the drain hole in the block.

Here's a picture from April 2012 ej255 that came in the wagon. You can see the drain hole in the block, lower left corner.

DSCN4740.JPG

• Like 1