LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's wagon

boxkita

Thought we were hyjacking that thread. . . .

I've about 9k on the rebuild. I'm coming up on my first 3k OCI, as the previous ones were averaging 600 miles. So far, everything is running well, although, using it for a DD is getting tiring. Downtown Seattle does not have the smoothest roads.

I know! That's why I decided to stay with stock height. I have a lip and I I scrape here and there. I can only imagine driving a lowered car.

I'm currently handicapped! Had shoulder surgery 4 weeks ago. Maybe if I can go watch.?

Unfortunately, I wont be attending. Doing the Porsche Driving Skills clinic that day. Autox spectating can be alot of standing around, but its educational to walk the course with the experts. If you can stand the banging around you'll get, you can ride along in most cars (bring a helmet).

You can always volunteer to help out, as they always need ppl. Standing on the course (picking up fallen cones) is educational. The 2 times I went, I did cone duty first to see the best lines :-)

Unfortunately, I wont be attending. Doing the Porsche Driving Skills clinic that day. Autox spectating can be alot of standing around, but its educational to walk the course with the experts. If you can stand the banging around you'll get, you can ride along in most cars (bring a helmet).

You can always volunteer to help out, as they always need ppl. Standing on the course (picking up fallen cones) is educational. The 2 times I went, I did cone duty first to see the best lines :-)

Well in that case I'll have to go next year. I really cant be sitting for a long time cause of the type of sling I have, let alone in a car getting throne around. Plus that weekend is busy for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great info in here thanks!

Are you still running Stock oil pump and water pump, and stock uel manifold?

Oil pump is sti unit that's modified. Water Pump is 04 wrx (has bent metal arms rather than cast wheel for more surface area). Radiator is oem (as in never replaced).

I'll put up an engine shot this week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Oil pump is sti unit that's modified. Water Pump is 04 wrx (has bent metal arms rather than cast wheel for more surface area). Radiator is oem (as in never replaced).

I'll put up an engine shot this week.

I just tracked my car for the first time and was having temperature issues by the end of the day. Temps for the day were around 85 degrees.

Did you track your car in those temperatures?

In DD driving never have any issues. I pulled off the track and went through the pit lane and the temps dropped down to normal almost immediately.

Curious if you have any thoughts as I saw you were running the stock radiator.

I just tracked my car for the first time and was having temperature issues by the end of the day. Temps for the day were around 85 degrees.

Did you track your car in those temperatures?

In DD driving never have any issues. I pulled off the track and went through the pit lane and the temps dropped down to normal almost immediately.

Curious if you have any thoughts as I saw you were running the stock radiator.

Hottest day was 95 air temp, was also fastest day. Brake rotors were measured at 1600 degrees on the last run.

I ran with driver's window down and heat on max blowing out the dash, all vents directed as far as way from me as I could. I tried to get out in the fresh air on the straights as much as I could.

I had the stock grill (no mods) & stock radiator. The undertray was in place as well. Even went so far as to tape all the openings closed on it. Every fastener hole had a fastener in it.

I used fresh 100 octane gas on a 95 octane tune whenever I could get it (I started bringing 10gallons to the track and mixing it with locally available gas). This helped reduce detonation. Also got better mileage. :-)

I don't know if it would make a difference but I ran Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 turbo diesel truck oil (non-synthetic). Changed before and after each event. Used a new blue subie oil filter every oil change. Every 3000 miles, I sent in the oil for analysis. So far, everything's been working right.

Most sessions were 20-30 minutes, with 40 minutes or more break in between. Always parked facing the wind with the hood up. Jacked the car up as well, too.

As I ran the stock gauges (interior was/is still stock), I watched the temp gauge on the straights. If it didn't cool off by the end of the straight, I made a slow lap. If the pit exit was coming up and it was still hot, I got off track. When you get off track, is when you have real trouble. The typical pit/paddock speed is 10mph. The LGT needs at least 35mph to bring enough air into the radiator make a difference, below that you make it worse. That's why a slow lap on the track was so much more beneficial.

As I've recently, and painfully, learned; just because you can get away with a stock radiator; doesn't mean its the best idea. If you are serious about tracking your car, as in you plan on doing it again, get yourself a much better radiator. Preferably one with welded tanks and at least 2 if not 3 cores. Keeping the engine/heads cool will do more for your car and your wallet than anything else I've written. Infamous is pretty close to you and can recommend something, based on what Max was doing with spiderpig. Others to ask are Drew888 and driftmotion (both SoCal trackers with LGTs).

If you are overheating on the track, the oem radiator is probably not cutting it and you are likely living on borrowed time. Most of my track days were on days that maxed at 70 degrees. The last 3 days were all over 90. That was 2012, also the last time the wagon was on track.

Edited by boxkita