LegacyGT.com

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - anyone tried them?

boxkita

I own a tire shop, have for years. The new super sport is an amazing tire. Unsurpassed grip and the life is unreal. We took a set off my biz partners gt500 mustang(which is blower and cam swapped, makes 756rwhp) it was a noticeable difference. Car has BFG kdws and would only hook up at the top of 4th gear. /Now the car hooks going into 3rd under WOT....which is a massive improvement.

you will not be disappointed.

The PSS's are the replacement for the PS2's. The PS2's offered near hardcore summer specific tire grip without the major noise and ride discomfort that those tires typically have. The PSS's, as you have already heard, have been an major improvement beyond the ps2's, and are basically the fastest street tire that you actually want to DD.

Dunno if it's worth anything but I've got the Super Sport A/S on my Legacy, have for about 15K miles or so. Wear is fine, generally quiet, ride nice, handle pretty well on dry/wet. I made it through 4" snow without any sort of issue. My only complaint is significant cracking between the sidewall and tread block on all 4 tires. They're only about a year old. However in that time they have lived in Maryland, Florida and now California so who knows. I still prefer BFG tho.

I bought a set of SS A/S last year (about this time), then started going to track. The driver skills classes didnt put any wear on the tires, yet stuck like glue in the rainy spring weather. The tread blocks on the edge started to seperate in the HPDE sessions in the warmer weather. Which led to the purchase of the KDW 2.

When not on the track, the A/S tires were a really nice ride.

BTW, the 30k warranty is worthless if you shred the shoulders but have pristine tread in the center. Need to mount them up one more time and drive thru a construction site. :-)

5 sessions at the Ridge in the rain. I didnt push them too hard in the wet as going off track was brutal (lots of mud). There wasnt much warning before they slipped, maybe it will be better in dry. They did run well with no chunking of the side walls, which more than I can say of the KDW's.

The other gt wagon was on star specs and the feeling was very stable especially in the rain.

About the only thing good with the KDW is I can run this setup in street tire in AutoX as its on a 7 inch rim.

Tried the SS in the rain/snow in autox today. For a summer tire, its really crazy in cold wet weather. It sticks right up to the point it doesnt. When it stops sticking, there's no warning (instant spin). Granted, the conditions today were probably the worst case for this tire.

Still waiting for a dry day to see how they do. Next AutoX is Apr 1.

• 2 weeks later...
KDWs are not known for being quiet. You have very bad reference point.

;-)

Krzys

x2, can't wait to get the PSSs on. I could probably get a few more months out of these but they're getting bad in the rain and the noise is getting intolerable (or I'm getting old)

A dry day at the Ridge. What an awesome tire. 225/40/18 on a 18x8 wheels. There is zero sidewall rollover (a problem on the KDW). Still running stock pressures (35,32). 4 sessions and the "line" on the tires was the same everytime.

They squeal as they get close to the limit then give way gradually. In a descreasing radius turn, I was unwinding the wheel sooner and letting the tire slip carry me to track out. Wheeee!

I have done 4 events (2 track & 2 autox) and probably need to rotate the tires for the first time. I've been using them for DD & commuting 150 round trip to events, as they are very quiet and surefooted on the road (@60 on the freeway in the rain they're fine. @100 on a newly paved track it was a bit less than fine)

Archived