LegacyGT.com

How to Install the TransGo 5EAT-HD2 shift kit - A Detailed Walkthrough

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you got this far, you don't need the reassembly instructions...

LOL yeah, I guess not. My brother and I were able to finish it, and then we just re-read it in reverse to put it back together. The bolts are all so similar, but with minor changes, so that did take a few minutes to figure out what went were.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Climber D or anyone else in the know, if I got this right, both the 5eat and the RE5 TransGo kits are usable on our trannies?

Thank you in advance!

I just installed the RE5 Kit, same stuff, and $50 cheaper. Instructions are not for this VB though, so you will need to use this walkthrough.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Just did this.

You should finish the re-assembly instructions and include the new Orange Spring.

There is also a restrictor orifice that comes with the kit. TransGo wants you to install it in the transmission, not the valve body. I assume we don't use this for our cars?

I also assume we're not supposed to drill out the plate holes with the included drill bits. Is this correct?

Edited by mwiener2

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 months later...
Can any knowledgeable folk on here confirm if the transgo kit is suitable for newer legacy gt 5eat's. I have an Australian delivered MY10 Liberty GT and i'd love to install this kit if possible. Edited by I JET

Can any knowledgeable folk on here confirm if the transgo kit is suitable for newer legacy gt 5eat's. I have an Australian delivered MY10 Liberty GT and i'd love to install this kit if possible.
I would love to find out the same thing, I have a 2010 Australian Liberty 5EAT gt as well and I am currently rebuilding my transmission. I don't think anyone in the US has compared the 4th generation valve body to the 5th Generation because they don't have the 5th Generation 5EAT in the US. They only have the 5EAT in their 3.6r legacy I think.

But if the 5th Generation transmission is known as Jatco JR507E which is known as in the Nissan as RE5R05A, and trans Go have a kit for the RE5R05A, then maybe it should work on our 5th Gen?

I would be willing to buy a kit and test it out.

Unless someone knows for sure that it will be a complete waste of time.

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

But if the 5th Generation transmission is known as Jatco JR507E which is known as in the Nissan as RE5R05A, and trans Go have a kit for the RE5R05A, then maybe it should work on our 5th Gen?

I would be willing to buy a kit and test it out.

Unless someone knows for sure that it will be a complete waste of time.

Thanks for the reply Libacy GT. I totally forgot about the us 5th gen gt only being available as manual. That explains the lack of info for the 5th gen 5EAT. I'm in the same boat as you, transgo don't list an email address, will have to give them a call....The time difference is not so bad with daylight savings, im gonna try give them a call one morning this week. This would be such a great mod for the gt, the way a stage 2 gen 5 auto gets off the line is just awesome, will only get better with snappy gear changes. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again

Dan

Thanks for the reply Libacy GT. I totally forgot about the us 5th gen gt only being available as manual. That explains the lack of info for the 5th gen 5EAT. I'm in the same boat as you, transgo don't list an email address, will have to give them a call....The time difference is not so bad with daylight savings, im gonna try give them a call one morning this week. This would be such a great mod for the gt, the way a stage 2 gen 5 auto gets off the line is just awesome, will only get better with snappy gear changes. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again

Dan

No problem, yes please let me know how you go, I will as well.

My torque converter and valve body are pretty much gone. So I'm doing a full transmission rebuild anyway, But without the valve body mod we won't be able to go for high power. I'm aiming for 450hp . Firmer shifting and gear change behaviour is essential for higher powered autos.

That alone won't work, you need friction pack and a center diff that's up to the task.
Of course. I'm shot peening entire centre diff, alto clutch packs throughout, overhaul kit e.t.c.

It's good that most of the 5th generation internals are the same as the 4th generation so I can use the same aftermarket clutch rebuild kits.

Forgive for the possible noob question, but what does this mean for a 09 5eat owner?

From what I gathered the kit and moded vb from hex only works for 05-07. The 5th gen that is being talked about, is it the same transmission as the 08-09 5eat?

Valve body mod is only available from 05-07.

The 5th Generation Australian liberty Gt 5eat is the exact same transmission as the Subaru legacy 3.6r in the US

08/09 gt valve bodies are different to the 05-07 valve body and our Australian 5th gen liberty gt valve bodies are different again to both

Edited by Libacy GT

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Are there any updates on the 2010 5eat (or usdm 3.6r 5eat)?

I'm tempted to purchase the kit for the RE5R05A and give it a try. Being a first attempt any hints or differences would be great to know.

Also keen to know specifically what clutch packs people have used.

Currently I'm just making do with the Requested Torque and Calculated Torque adjustments via romraider/ecuflash.

• 2 months later...

I saw you posted the instructions that come with it but it mentions a vb removal guide booklet. Do you have this? I want to remove mine myself and have a shop do the kit but have never done this before. I am pretty mechanical inclined but am nervous messing with this. Walkthrough for that would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure this video is what you need:

I've done it a few times myself, its not too bad. Little annoying from under the car cuz it never stops dripping on you.

Also some good info in my 5eat rebuild thread.

Pretty sure this video is what you need:

I've done it a few times myself, its not too bad. Little annoying from under the car cuz it never stops dripping on you.

Also some good info in my 5eat rebuild thread.

Awesome. That’s exactly what I need. Never done anything on a trans so that’s why I’m a little nervous to dive in. Anything engine or suspension I will tackle but have never this. Guess it’s time to pop the cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk