LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gasket replacement!

The valve cover bolts are designed so that they bottom out against the shoulder. So it could be that you just snugged em up against the gasket, when you really had more to go. The service manual asks for subary gray sealant. I used ultragray and it worked for me.

• I Donated
Things you learned today: copper isn't Permatex UltraBlack. It doesn't seal oil.

Get a tube of UltraBlack and do it right.

Send me a PM if you want to exchange numbers and I can walk you through the correct application of the sealant to the gasket.

I would be open to that prime minister, I'm doing mine on Friday

Things you learned today: copper isn't Permatex UltraBlack. It doesn't seal oil.

Get a tube of UltraBlack and do it right.

Send me a PM if you want to exchange numbers and I can walk you through the correct application of the sealant to the gasket.

OK, on my way to the store to grab Ultrablack. Kinda annoying since the tube of copper says things like "ideal for...valve covers" and "3x the oil resistance"

It's a 50/50 application thing -- half goes on the head, and the other half goes on the VC, using the level changes (flow of the head) as the dividing line.

At this point, Brock, you need to pull the motor out as far as you can and make sure you scrub the surfaces clean -- can't have any remaining sealant or copper on those faces before you apply the new RTV.

After alllll the other work I've just done, I also have this problem.. I probably shouldnt have cleaned all the gunk off haha.

So the coils come off but plugs do not have to come out? They are straight through the valve covers?

You should remove the plugs too.

You should also use a razor blade to clean the surfaces that the gasket and liquid gasket material will mate to. This isn't something that should just be cleaned a little, we are talking eat off it clean.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• I Donated
Ugh, I despise plugs on this car

I learned this weekend that they're a lot easier with the valve cover off. I also learned this weekend to be careful putting the valve cover back on or you'll cut the new gasket with your bolts. Hopefully I can find a new one quickly

• I Donated
In and all set now. Pro tip to anyone doing these in the future with the motor in the car, be sure to take the time to unbolt the motor mounts one at a time and jack that side of the car up. Makes it way easier to get the cover on correctly without damaging the gasket.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
One more.. Likely tackling this tomorrow if I have time after doing the timing belt. Did you replace the half moon seals? I don't think they're leaking, should I just leave them alone? Also, how much RTV? Very thin bead?
"This is an adventure."

• I Donated
One more.. Likely tackling this tomorrow if I have time after doing the timing belt. Did you replace the half moon seals? I don't think they're leaking, should I just leave them alone? Also, how much RTV? Very thin bead?

I replaced 3/4 half moon seals, couldn't get a good angle on the top driver side one. Rtv those as you put them on also. Fair amount of rtv. Better to have more than not enough.

• 2 weeks later...
You should remove the plugs too.

You should also use a razor blade to clean the surfaces that the gasket and liquid gasket material will mate to. This isn't something that should just be cleaned a little, we are talking eat off it clean.

I'm misunderstanding I hope? Why do the plugs need to come out?

And is RTV Ultra Copper really not good for oil surfaces? Their site claims it is:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-copper-maximum-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

"Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones;"

"Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings"

http://www.permatex.com/documents/TDS/automotive/81878.pdf

Edited by SSpeed

I'm misunderstanding I hope? Why do the plugs need to come out?

And is RTV Ultra Copper really not good for oil surfaces? Their site claims it is:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-copper-maximum-temperature-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

"Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones;"

"Suggested Applications: Exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings"

http://www.permatex.com/documents/TDS/automotive/81878.pdf

No! UltraBlack or do it twice. Seriously, there's no other alternative.

I'd go with Ultra-gray or the black as mentioned by tris. I used a very thin bead as you will see when you take them off most of the RTV gets squished aside and just a very thin coat is left between the gasket and head surface. You don't want that in your oil. On the half moons I coated the outside joints with a bit of Ultra Grey as well in case it seeped through.

http://i.imgur.com/bKhdryG.jpg

• I Donated
You do as in Tris' picture, the right side that has the elevation changes, and then you add bits on the half moon seals. Be sure to RTV on all sides of the half moon seals, curved when putting them on the cover and then flat side when you put the cover on the head. Put this on the valve cover not the head btw.