LegacyGT.com

Stereo Swap Question

neversummer

I'm preparing to swap out my 2005 LGT stereo with auto climate control (P201UH) for a 2007-2009 stereo for the AUX IN ability. I've done a lot of homework on this (as well as the various mod kits, such as Jazzy) and can't seem to find the answer to my issue below.

For the 2009 models, there are the "standard" stereo systems and the Harman Kardon systems. I purchased what the junkyard told me was from a Legacy with the "standard" system, but upon receiving it, I found it is actually the stereo from the Harman Kardon system (P206UHB, 86201AG73A). I can't return this since the sale was final so I'm trying to figure out if I can make this work.

From reading through boards on this site, I've learned that the pin-outs forh both are the same except the 2009 Harman Kardon has a line-level out in place of the typical speaker-level out. This makes sense since I noticed the original (P201UH) has a impedance of 4 ohms compared to the Harman Kardon stereo (P206UHB) which has a impedance of 10 ohms. Pictures are attached.

I temporarily swapped out the stereos to see if everything in the P206UHB works, and it does. I just have to turn the volume higher, which makes sense, from my basic understanding of how impedance works. However, this is where my knowledge ends and where I'm hoping someone can help.

I will be connecting the stereo to an aftermarket amp. Will I be able to use the P206UHB? Or was that designed to work only with the Harman Kardon system? If it will work, will this change anything in my set-up?

My technical knowledge with audio systems is limited to the basics so I apologize if this is a dumb question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p201uh.JPG.bb6c4694e921da5461cd7164c8b03255.JPG

p206uhb.thumb.jpg.3f2065a3128c5a469ed2e97ae408c4fa.jpg

Edited by neversummer
improperly referred to "impedance" as resistance.

Without knowing the output of the deck I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can use your deck. I would use an amp that both has a line level input and will take speaker level inputs. For example the Rockford Fosgate amps that just came out, they even auto sense input voltage if you can't/ don't want to find a amp turn on wire.

thanks for your help carnuts and for the advice on the type of amp to get. i'm will admit i'm not 100% positive about the P206-UHB has line-level output. i read that on a board somewhere and not sure how knowledgeable that individual was, but it does make sense considering the impedance. i'm even more confused b/c from my understanding, line-level outs are typically RCA. the P206-UHB definitely does not have any RCA outs.

anyone else have any knowledge and experience with this? again any help will be appreciated.

Edited by neversummer

The P-206UHB (Subaru P/N 86201AG73A, Panasonic model CQ-EF1861X) is an odd duck.

It has an amplifier IC so it can drive speakers (as you confirmed). But the output impedance is 10K ohms (K = 1000, meaning 10,000 ohms) -- what you typically would see on line-level (unamplified) outputs.

Supposedly, there are some 2009 Legacy or Outback models that have that HU without the harman/kardon amp. But I haven't seen anyone whose car came from the factory that way. According to cars101.com, every US 2009 model except the low-end fleet version has the h/k amp.

Starting in 2010, the h/k HUs do send line-level (pre amp) signals -- no speaker amp IC inside the HU. [uPDATE: Apparently, the HUs in all cars with the h/k system still have internal 4-channel amp ICs.]

Don't be surprised that you didn't see RCA jacks. Almost no OEM gear has them.

See this thread for info on the h/k amp.

You can connect the P-206UHB to an aftermarket amp. Since it is outputting speaker-level signals, you'll need an amp that can accept high-level signals as input (or else you'll need to add a Line Output Converter -- LOC -- to reduce the signals to line-level). The fact that this HU's outputs are high impedance shouldn't affect things significantly.

I can provide harnesses that make it easier for you to tap the HU's speaker outputs without having to hack into your factory wires. E-mail me for details (see my homepage at ae64.com).

The P-206UHB does not have a lead for amp remote turn-on. You'll either need to use +12V Accessory, or get a LOC or amp that can power up when it detects sound on one of its inputs.

Edited by SVXdc
All h/k HUs still have amp IC

Thanks SVXdc for the really detailed explanation. Good to know I can keep the P206UHB with my planned setup. I have been keeping an eye out for a P204UH since I got my hands on this one and haven't seen one out there.

And thanks for the link to your harness. I may hit you up if I need one.

• 1 month later...
I too now have this unit

so where is the in for the ipod at?

Here you go...

http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_43&products_id=1479

It plugs into the Satellite radio input. You can't use both at the same time.

Are you referring to the Auxiliary input? It's wired into the harness. Ping SVXdc for a solution.

Cheers!

Just installed, perfect!

correct part # for newer Ipods is

H621SXA201, good luck finding one

it charges a 5V instead of 12V

12v will fry your equipment

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Just installed, perfect!

correct part # for newer Ipods is

H621SXA201, good luck finding one

it charges a 5V instead of 12V

12v will fry your equipment

Excellent!

Hmmm, I wonder if this will connect with and charge and iPhone4s. I've tried the scosche connector but no luck.

There's also a 12v to 5v adapter cable. Part number H621SXA300.

Edited by goneskiian

You use the h621sxa300 w/ the h621sxa200 to achieve

the results given w/ the h621sxa201(hard to find)

happy hunting!

I can confirm it charges the gen 4 ipod and iphone

until apple changes it again....

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

im alittle confused and excues my ignorance but i have the auto climate controll and if i switch to this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2007-Legacy-MP3-CD-Player-Radio-OEM-LKQ-/140743383752?fits=Model:Legacy|Year:2009|Make:Subaru&hash=item20c4f59ac8&item=140743383752&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

ill obv loose the auto climate no big deal but i would assume that all the HVAC controls will work from auto to manual?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...
You' re better off getting a double din fascia for $60, I have 07 spec b and 08 spec b radios, I bought a 05/06 legacy OEM radio for $25, you slice the circuit board to retain original OEM dual ac controls instead of paying 300 for plastic plus a head unit. You, unfortunately, have to be handy with a soldering iron, but there is a great pdf writeup someone posted on here I'll see if I can find the link. It involves some ingenuity, especially destroying the circuit board leads and repairing them. Even if inexperienced, with a voltmeter and time you can get it done. Just don't attempt with an own 07 or later as they changed the boards most likely to accommodate satellite radio and aux(assumption), still, need aftermarket device to retain steering controls and unsure how the Navi fares I'm assuming it still works. This post was old, but seems doable, is I can't find the original, I'll put up their write-up. Edited by phish27134
Typos