LegacyGT.com

What turbo? wiki... with a twist

and when you find a 20g car to ride in, make sure the owner of that car takes you for a ride... I mean, if they offer you the keys, thats fine... But learning to finess to drive a larger turbo takes a bit (imo). So for full impact, have him/her take you around the block a couple times. :)

If i handed my car keys to my friends that drive stage2 vf40/46's... and they drove my car the same way they drive their own, im not sure they would be running to the 18g store to upgrade any time soon. It's certainly a change from stage 2.

I asked just like that; for a ride and not to drive for that reason. I'd rather have someone show me what it can do instead of basing the decision off my learning curve.

Thanks for the advice!

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

I think I've cracked the VF38 problem on the JDM/ADM GT's..

After months of reading and research I can tell you all the VF44 and the VF47 are direct bolt ons, but they are just as expensive, and no bigger, than the VF38. They do have the same compressor and turbine housing though.

What I've discovered though (and it's a bit cheap and nasty..but do-able)... is that Kinugawa can match up a TD05H twinscroll turbine housing with a MY08/GH8+ TD05H compressor housing...

Now.. you need a TD05H DP bellhousing such as..

http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/impreza-cast-turbo-outlet-vf3637-twinscroll-p-807.html

And Voilà!

You have a TD05H-16G, 18G, 20G on a twinscroll, equal length header and up, with a modified down pipe. Don't even have to change the intercooler.

That's the closest I've found for a 'bolt on' upgrade for the 2.0L JDM/ADM Legacy/Liberty from a VF38.

I'll be trying this concept out after xmas. Should cost about $1100 + getting the flange welded on the down pipe, above the cat.

How bout that?! :D

:spin::wub:

How is this going? Have you thought about it some more?

Edited by JMLegacy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is EPIC. Just EPIC.

1:28.7 and a new record for street class at RLTA2 at Willow Springs International Raceway in an STI on a 44lb BorgWarner~ putting down a vf39/52 curve that just KEEPS going. Freaking freight train with OEM STI spool. Mike Sprank you should take a look at this setup.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2a8kxsk.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/rub11j.jpg

wow! amazing write up! im a noob to subaru and really considering a specific turbo...so far i have;

05 lgt 5speed

forged pistons/acl bearings/nitraded crank

sti up

invidia dwg catless dp

borla header &cbe

aem CAI

cobb ap

..thinking of jumping up to a Blouch Dom 3.0r turbo...dw 850 side feed injectors, dw 300 FP, xsPower Fmic with an xspower BOV (recirc)...

anything i am missing/overlooking? ive spent hours searching the forums and feel like this is a good combo, thoughts? thanks!

You're missing e85.;)

Ha and also an sti tranny, both may come later...

Ordered the injectors and pump...still hesitant on the turbo choice...Ugghhh! So many decisions and I'm concerned about the amount of lag I will get with the blouch dom 3.0r.. (vf52 is outta the picture)

• 1 month later...
Ya id imagine the dom3 would be laggy. I have a blouch 20gxt td06 8cm and i dont hit peak boost till about 3900rpm. Which Ive gotten used to now. Just wish I could rev out a little higher. One thing that i saw was off with numbers for comparison was im flowing about 360ish g/s with a 47lb turbo but id imagine Im only around 330whp. Of course I wont know till I dyno it.

• 1 month later...

Just went to Stage 2 and my turbo started screeching under boost the other day, pulled it, and the compressor side has some play in it. Checked the banjo and it is fine so I guess with 118k, it just wore out. I need to replace it ASAP, but even though I didn't plan on going beyond stage 2 it doesn't seem to make sense to buy a replacement stock VF40 when I could upgrade (classifieds? ebay?) for a similar amount of money. That said, this is my daily, and I don't want a drag car with tons of lag, is a 16G the next logical step for me (more lag than stock?)? I want to minimize the cost, can I run a 16G with a stock fuel pump and a COBB AP stage 2 93-octane tune until i am ready to add funds for the other mods?

currently have: Catless up and down, AP running stage 2 map, and a stock VF40 on the floor of my garage.

Of course not, look at the part matrix. I ran for a year at or close to 300whp on the 16G, an aftermarket downpipe, a 3-port BCS and a solid tune. The bang-for-buck quotient took a nose-dive after that.

Yes. Just note that an older fuel pump may fail if you hang it out there for too long. Stock STi pump is enough for a 16G and very cheap used.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thanks fahr, but please clarify, yes to everything? More lag than stock?

AP Stage 2 tune?

What will the 16G give me over stock? More top end power? More grunt at low RPM?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am starting to love this car more because of these forums and less because of the actual hardware.

No to stage 2 tune. Get a pro-tune for the mods you end up with. Expect 280~320whp on 93, later spool than stock. A lot of 16G owners have posted their results so a search will tell you more.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Here is something interesting, I found a custom built VF46 with a VF39 (STI) compressor side. Any idea how that would run?

Turbine is too small for good performance and you made the reliability worse by fitting a bigger, heavier compressor to the skinny, weak shaft. Search on VF-40-18G for a similar disaster.

Thanks again fahr. Now I guess I have narrowed it down to either a cheap 16G or just replacing it with a used V40/46. I am thinking that the 16G is going to get too expensive turbo+tune+oil lines+...?

Anyone have any experience with the cheap ebay turbos (16G)? I know they are likely junk, but the V40s aren't that great either.

Anyone have any experience with the cheap ebay turbos (16G)? I know they are likely junk, but the V40s aren't that great either.

Spend a bit more and get a quality turbo. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Yup the more I read the more I am thinking of shying away from ebay, Godspeed, etc. Can you tell me what the difference is between the 16G and the VF52? Looks like the 16G is a Mitsubishi turbo (more reliable?), and the VF52 is a larger (than VF40) IHI. Is there a difference in supporting mods, reliability? I have looked at your chart, but there are other mods that aren't mentioned like oil lines. I would love to do a BNR 16G, but 750turbo+175oil lines+100fuel pump+200 tune+? 3port... is just too far out of the scope of just replacing the turbo to get back on the road. Can I do the VF52 cheaper?

I am beginning to think I need to revert to someone's used VF40/46.

If you aren't sure you need the extra power, just get a replacement turbo. I added some more info on oil lines and filtration to the 3rd post to make those requirements more clear. The turbo failure wiki has more info on how the turbos fail and why. Edited by fahr_side

Thanks.

"need the extra power" - funny.

I noticed the 05-06 maps for my AP are different than the 07+ maps. Which should I use for a VF46 on an 2005.5? Why would the STG2 93 maps go from +20.5% HP / +29.5% TQ over stock for the '05 to +6% HP / +22% TQ over stock for the 07?

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone,

Stupid question, part deux....

Please, can someone advise me *if* there is a 'when' my stock turbo is "maxed out", and or I should start to consider replacing it?

I ask because I really don't want to have to deal with all the headaches that come with a failed turbo.

I am now at 86k mi., use synthetic oil which I make sure is always topped up, and change when due.

Running Accessport Stg.2 , along with an aftermarket catted DP.

Due to go in soon to have a new catless UP and catback exhaust, to replace my stock. I'll have them check for shaft play.

Have never had a check for metal in my oil pan, but will next change.

Easier to remove banjo filter is removed. It was spotless.

Having no issues, none, at the moment. Having to top up oil only minimally now.

If I missed any info., ask away.

Edited by Lafta