LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought you guys would appreciate this. Been working on the house and figured I'd share a few photos (with full album my wife has been keeping sort of up to date):

What we started with:

88oAiNt.jpg

What we found under the carpets:

KDcpBvk.jpg

XwwZ0p0.jpg

Cxbba94.jpg

Garbage that the previous owners left (they left us more crap furniture than we moved in with)

Lva7c4j.jpg

New floors:

KdE91bv.jpg

New stairs (needed 3 separate steps):

m7snQ06.jpg

Decided to take down the sheet rock and start fresh:

08n0rzQ.jpg

Good thing, found there was an electrical fire:

xTS6EGa.jpg

Inspector missed:

B3DsokP.jpg

New walls, electrical, floors, stairs, railings, etc. (Walls are finally painted now... new doors are going in shortly):

RCRnrPp.jpg

Obligatory pet pic:

DwAwfts.jpg

OH, and we didn't notice that this was our front door until after we moved in:

yuFHUiV.jpg

If you don't vote Trump, out, you're a bigot who hates america.

That painted sink! :lol:

Nice work man! Heck of a project.

:lol: we originally hated it. Now my wife wants to paint the bathroom greyish - change everything else and leave the sink. For some reason she thinks it'll be "gardeny"

Knob and tube can't have insulation batting around that... that's probably why there was an electrical fire. Nice work!

There's currently no knob and tube - but there's a clusterfuck mix of aluminum and copper. At least they had someone come in and do the copalum crimps everywhere.

So I'll be re-wiring the house as I go along.

Yeah, I'd rather not have any aluminum - especially with the mix of copper and aluminum. Each room I re-do, I'm just gonna run a new homerun to the room and start fresh.

There's currently no knob and tube - but there's a clusterfuck mix of aluminum and copper. At least they had someone come in and do the copalum crimps everywhere.

So I'll be re-wiring the house as I go along.

xTS6EGa.jpg

Looks kind of like sheathed knob and tube coming out of that switch (I had a lot of the stuff in my house)... either way. Rewiring with romex is best, as long as you know what you're doing. From the looks of it, you do.

I thought it might have been as well, but it's not.

Some of the original house wiring is around and it's the cloth insulated 2 conductor wiring (no ground).

At some point they started upgrading to aluminum and copper. It's a complete mix. I'm assuming the copper was done after the fire (1989). COPALUM crimps were done in the early-mid 90s.

I'm just glad the panel is fairly new. Though I need to add a SPD to it.

I need to upgrade my panel... kind of want to upgrade to a 200A service just so I don't have to run the mini/split/double breakers to add circuits. I really don't need 200A if I can ditch my electric dryer (30A double-wide breaker) and go back to gas like I want.

Nemo, that looks so much nicer. I really don't understand why people carpet over hardwood floors.

Also, I thought we already had the what is and what is not knob and tube in this thread?

:lol:

We have hardwood throughout our bedrooms, hallways, etc... Everything except the living room (excluding bathrooms/kitchen). I wanted to put it in the living room, but the wife urged me not to. Especially with a little kid. I gotta say, the carpet is nice when you're crawling around the floor, or in the winter, when you're chillin'.

I need to upgrade my panel... kind of want to upgrade to a 200A service just so I don't have to run the mini/split/double breakers to add circuits. I really don't need 200A if I can ditch my electric dryer (30A double-wide breaker) and go back to gas like I want.

Do the math, you probably don't really need it.

We have electric heat in our finished basement, a pool, window AC's, an electric dryer/range, etc. We're still on 100a. You have to really look at whats going to be on at the same time.

On a side note, I may swap out panels because Im running out space. While im doing that I may just go ahead and upgrade to 200a. My electrician treats me well (i'll have him do that job), and it does add some value to the house.

• I Donated

Lolwut. Neighbors have a pool and electric heat with 200A and apparently almost burned up their main feed line at the panel, it was so overloaded.

BTW, I found a tandem dual pole 40A breaker for my AC and wall oven, so I get 2 spaces back in my panel! Just have to install it now. It's sitting on my kitchen island.

Spent the day trying to fish some coax to the second floor of my parents' house. My dad is getting a knee replacement in a month and there was no TV hookup upstairs, and he'll be recovering up there. What a PITA. My parents had some weatherization done and the contractors uses spray foam all along the foundation. They have brick veneer and no barriers between floors between it and the drywall, but the foam was in the way. Finally just used an ethernet cable that was installed pre-foam to fish the coax, then refished the ethernet when I pulled the fish tape out. Wasted 3 hours only to have it take 3 minutes when I did that.

Do the math, you probably don't really need it.

We have electric heat in our finished basement, a pool, window AC's, an electric dryer/range, etc. We're still on 100a. You have to really look at whats going to be on at the same time.

On a side note, I may swap out panels because Im running out space. While im doing that I may just go ahead and upgrade to 200a. My electrician treats me well (i'll have him do that job), and it does add some value to the house.

If we have the dryer running and the central AC kicks on, any light in the house dims, my computer speakers click, etc. 200a is probably not needed (nor will it fix that issue) but 150a service doesn't exist and moar is better, right? :lol:

If we have the dryer running and the central AC kicks on, any light in the house dims, my computer speakers click, etc. 200a is probably not needed (nor will it fix that issue) but 150a service doesn't exist and moar is better, right? :lol:

Honestly - it's still gonna happen even if you upgrade to a 200A service.

To get rid of the dimming in that situation, you need to bring a 3 phase service to your house - which the utility will happily do if you pay them :)

• I Donated
Honestly - it's still gonna happen even if you upgrade to a 200A service.

To get rid of the dimming in that situation, you need to bring a 3 phase service to your house - which the utility will happily do if you pay them :)

I don't have 3 phase and that doesn't happen to me... :iam:

Are you running a 30A dryer and have the same size condenser as him?

To alleviate the problem you can try to switch up the phases that the circuits are on.

My both my dryer and AC condenser on each on 30A circuits... the rest of the house has a relatively low power draw. Gas range (HATE electric), gas water heater, almost every bulb is CFL, LED TVs...

I just want to ditch the electric dryer and long term, get a more efficient AC condenser. While that's happening, moving my furnace/AC out of the dead center of my basement would be awesome too but I'll do that all in one go when replacement time comes for it too.

Your AC startup amp draw is the problem

motors require more amps for startup then when running(u knew that)

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Most likely the voltage drop is caused by current in the service cable rising too much for the size of conductor, a larger service would likely alleviate the lights dimming. Poor connections on the service conductors or the lighting circuit breakers would also cause a drop. just my opinion and experience