LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
If yo do build similar garden boxes, and plan on keeping the house for a while, keep in mind that wood tends not to last. My parents had terraced beds that had been built with railroad ties on each side of their sunken driveway that the previous owners of the house put in right before they sold and my parents bought in 1992. 20 years later, they were starting to rot pretty badly in some places. My parents ended up paying a lot of money to get them replaced with stone.

Thanks. This is only temporary. After grad school I/we hope to move back to CO and if I God-forbid have to stay in Fl, we're moving outta this place.

But we wanted to make it appealing for when we sell it and the open floor plan is the way to go.

If yo do build similar garden boxes, and plan on keeping the house for a while, keep in mind that wood tends not to last. My parents had terraced beds that had been built with railroad ties on each side of their sunken driveway that the previous owners of the house put in right before they sold and my parents bought in 1992. 20 years later, they were starting to rot pretty badly in some places. My parents ended up paying a lot of money to get them replaced with stone.

Cedar ftw

Love the garden box idea... my back yard has a bit of a mound to it so I might have to steal the steps/patio idea... Hmm...

Not a problem at all, please do. The closest one is 4x6 and then 4x8, 4x8. The skinny one in the back was 2x8. I made the frames and then got them level and then built them down into the ground.

I used cedar wood and deck screws that wouldn't rust and contaminate the soil. I added compost from a local place and never used any home depot plant food because they got it from the soil. Each box had it's own sprinkler line that I ran for 1-2 minutes 3 times a day.

• 3 months later...

With the onset of cold weather my wife and I found out why the previous owners sold the house in spring; the rooms farthest from the furnace just don't get enough heat and are subsequently cold. After some diagnosing and identifying which ducts were responsible for those rooms, I slapped some R-6 fiberglass & mylar around the ducts. Both of the rooms affected are bedrooms, and the bedroom on the first floor had an addition in the 70s for closets which were added onto the foundation with a small crawl space underneath. During my holiday break, I tackled both of these problems and vastly improved the comfort of our home. I'd say the bedroom is now 5 degrees below the rest of the house instead of 20 degrees below (yes, it was THAT bad). Once we got the bedroom temps up, we noticed that the closets were still cold even with the closet doors open, so I shimmied myself into the crawl space and glued some R-10 rigid foam to the foundation walls. Again, the difference is amazing!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/image4.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/image5.jpg

BEFORE:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/image1.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/image2.jpg

AFTER:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j224/icehawks11/image3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

My first home project. I was tired of the cubby hole above the fire place designed for tube tvs. I recessed the wall a tad, and blocked it off with a mount that slides out 22". So I can still use the cubby space as an entertainment cabinet. I didn't finish the inside with shelves yet, I was just too tired from adjusting/readjusting and making the 110lb tv easy to slide out.

I went from a 42" led, to a 65" Plasma. Also plan on adding in-wall speakers.

Currently debating on adding some crown molding, as my sanding skills are very subpar.

origina1.thumb.jpg.466590b9406838c5bb16ff33a922cf87.jpg

recessed1.jpg.d9cda75eac4f1f2a9f9af58b664e68f7.jpg

new1.jpg.4dea60f1f9277636abb69248f3623542.jpg

new_extedned.jpg.8b99d211b5a066b23312a57f07c0b351.jpg

sldes.thumb.jpg.923c83d7cc083169bb3bdffcdd49008c.jpg

looks great. How far off the wall is the tv though. my 60 plasma was mounted 2.5 ys ago or so. Since then, the mount standards have become WAY more flush... im debating swapping mounts, cuz I don't like the 5 or inches it sits off the wall

looks great. How far off the wall is the tv though. my 60 plasma was mounted 2.5 ys ago or so. Since then, the mount standards have become WAY more flush... im debating swapping mounts, cuz I don't like the 5 or inches it sits off the wall

Well the mount I built slides 22", so extends really 18" or so from the wall when pulled out. Unfortunately I switched to a flush mount (cheeteah mount), so the mount itself doesn't come out any further -- just the plywood i bolted it on. It's probably 1" from the wood when mounted.

I was lucky that cubby was deep and wide, b/c I ended up recessing the tv into the wall about 4" total.

Here is that flat mount, but remember you won't be given any leeway in it being level like other mounts (twist etc.)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cheetah-APTMM2B-including-Profile-Magnetic/dp/B0012S4APK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423148208&sr=8-1&keywords=cheetah+mount]Amazon.com: Cheetah Mounts APTMM2B Tilt TV Wall Mount Bracket for 32-65" TVs (Many from 20-75") including LED, LCD and Plasma Flat Screens up to VESA 600 x 400 and 165lbs with Flush 1.5" Profile. Includes a Twisted Veins 10' Braided HDMI Cable and 6" 3-Axis Magnetic Bubble Level: Electronics[/ame]