LegacyGT.com

DIY Dash Removal on Fourth Gen LGT

Supers587

Hey guys, I did some searching around but I can't seem to find a DIY Dash Removal. I'm doing my sister's heater core :unamused:

This is my first time doing an LGT dash pull, and I'm stuck at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Does the top thin piece that goes across the windshield have to come off in order to get the dash off? Like the older Imprezas? Or is it part of the dash?

First off, why are you replacing the heater core? Do you know that it is leaking?

I know several of us have had problems with the heater not working on one or both sides of the car. The suspicion is that it becomes plugged with the Subaru coolant conditioner.

Have you attempted to flush/backflush the heater core? You have to do just the heater core. Flushing the whole "cooling system" won't clear a plugged core.

Indeed.

Start with the center console. The shifter pops up. Remove the screws holding the silver side pieces down. Then remove the center bits.. radio/climate shit. Two bolts under the center console cubby thingy hold the center console in place. Remove them and move it back or remove it entirely if its in the way. Take out all the screws holding down the center trim. Driver and passenger side have plastic covers on the sides where they meet the door paneling. Remove those by giving a good tug. Behind them you'll find more screws holding the dash to the beam. Remove them. Remove the glovebox by removing all those little screws, and you'll find some clips too. Remove the screws holding the beam to the airbag on the passenger side, you'll have to poke your head under real good to see them, but the two bolts are 10mm and gold. Remove the gauge cluster (one screw right in the top of the plastic, two from underneath by the steering column, they're hard to see). Remove the plastic around the steering column via 3 screws, one first, then the other two (or 3, for a total of 4?). Remove the driver's side kick panel by locating the lower screw, and popping out the rest (clips hold it in mostly).

Sorry this is all very vague. It's all from memory now.

Once you get the dash to move out a bit, you'll have to unplug a few things. Make sure you dont just rip the dash out. A lot of shit is zip-tied to it from the backside. It's a bitch.

• 7 months later...

Unfortunately going to have to do this soon. I've seen most of the bolts mentioned in the posts above, but are there any other "hidden" ones anyone can recall, to help save my sanity when I take my dash out?

Any near the windshield? The Impreza's had a long cover and two bolts underneath it back there. Although it looked like the Legacy had the same cover, upon closer inspection it seems like it is not separate from the dash itself.

Archived