LegacyGT.com

What kind of winter tires?

Just wanted to know what kind of winter tires everybody is running i still have the ones that came on the car when i bought it and needless to say my drive in the snow to work tonight was way more scary that i like.Was thinking of getting some BF goodwrench mud tires or some thing like that but i dont know. Will 215 75 R 15 work with no rubbing issues?

5 year old Nokians Rsi. Warm weather breaking is a joke but lateral grip on any surface is amazing. First snow in Chicago 2 days ago so took them for a spin. Pretty much unstoppable in the snow with only 50% rubber left. Love them

Well, After 258K miles on our 99 Legacy Sdn, we've tried Blizzak WS50's, WS60's; Michelin Arctic Alpins, & General Altimax Arctics. The Blizzak's are the best, I thought the 50's were better than the 60's. But they are expensive, soft and wear fast on dry/warmer roads. The Michelins were good, but just like the MXV4's we had, were noisy & really noisy in the rain; also seemed to go south fast as the tread got shallow. For the price the General's we're running now seem the best (about 90% of the Blizzaks performance, just only noticeable difference on near straight packed ice- and about 75% the cost) thru Tire Rack. Good in dry, more stable & less 'squishy' handling, nice in the rain, fairly quiet considering, and seem to have less of a parasitic loss in fuel economy. I'd buy these again next year after this their 3rd & final winter season! (we run 18-25K/yr on this car) Studdable too if you wish, but we run Poconos Mts. to Lehigh Valley daily without studs. JM$.02 form our experiences. If you experience a lot of glare ice/ freezing rain you have to go thru, the Blizzaks might be a better choice. I won't spend the $ on Michelins again, although they were an improvement over All-seasons. Good Luck

Does anybody run any baja or mud type tires?

would be good for off road applications, but snow tires are by design for snow and cold weather. they have a different / softer compound that provides more grip on dry pavements in the cold, as well as a tread pattern that is formulated to 'grab' snow / ice better.

I could suck start a snow blower.

Yokohama Ice Guards that came as an x-tra set when I bought the wagon. Not bad.

+1 on these. They're what I run and I have a hard time losing control even when I'm trying pretty hard to do so. :)

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Does anybody run any baja or mud type tires?

That type of tire would be a horrible choice for winter.

Baja/Mud tires are designed with a different driving style in mind. Usually it involves spinning wheels, digging and throwing mud and sand.

Spinning wheels is the last thing you want to do in the snow for proper driving.

Baja/mud tires have virtually no silica in the compound. Think of a rubber hockey puck sliding across the ice. Add a bunch of silica, (AKA finely powdered sand), to the compound and the sliding is resisted. All quality snow tires have a high concentration of silica. Baja/mud tires have little to no siping in the tread pattern to allow water to evacuate. Snow tires are loaded with siping. Most baja/mud tires have a rather hard compound to maintain block integrity and resist getting torn up while off roading. Winter/snow tires have a very soft compound to stay pliable in the cold temperatures. I saw many fine choices listed above, any will be better than an off road tire your contemplating. Keep in mind that there is a tradeoff for a good snow/winter tire. They will not last as long or handle as good as a performance all season or summer tire. A narrower tire with a higher profile is recommended for snow driving.

High silica content, soft compound, lots of siping.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Not to mention, the thinner the tire, the more grip they get on any type of solid ground... Just a thought for all you 12-14" tire runners out there! ;)
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 5 weeks later...
I got a new set of Hankook IPikes this winter. I highly recommend these tires. They are have a very aggressive tread for snow/ice but they aren't terribly loud on dry pavement and handle very well. They are a lot less money than Blizzaks too. They were 80 some bucks each for 195/60/15's

Archived