LegacyGT.com

1993 Legacy temp gage HOT

BaseTulsa

My 1993 legacy (2.2L, 5-speed, 220,000 miles) is also overheating, according the temperature gage.

Two weeks ago when I bought it, the temperature gage would read normal after driving a while and the heater would work fine. Then one day it was overheating. I made it home and the next day decided to let it idle until it warmed up, and that time the temperature gage read normal for the entire time I drove it that day. The next day I went to work and the gage was reading hot after 10-15 minutes of driving. I tried letting it idle again to warm up, and it worked, only during that period of operation. After that, it never did read normal temperature again. So I did the simplest repair and put in a new thermostat, yet that had no effect whatsoever, and I am getting no heat inside the car. Also, when I have driven for at least 15 minutes and the temperature gage reads hot, the radiator cap is barely warm, and the resevoir contains no fluid at all. It seems that the fluid in the engine is not getting into the radiator.

My next inclination is that the radiator is clogged. Or perhaps the water pump has failed. Or perhaps a head gasket is blown.

Based on my symptoms, can I get some suggested diagnoses?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 92 Legacy with the 2.2. It is pretty hard to get it completely full of coolant. If it is not completely full, it will tend to overheat. there is a air bleeder on the passanger side of the radiator that helps. It is a phillips head plastic plug. You must take it all the way out and it takes a while to fill it up. You may be loosing coolant. I just replaced the water pump in mine after thinking I had a leak in a few spots. My milage is similar to yours, has your waterpump ever been replaced? If it hasn't, it could be time. It sounds exactly how mine acted just before it locked up?? Let me know.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I just finished flushing the radiator, again, and filled it. It's definitely not clogged. And there is still no heat once the temp gage reaches normal. However, I noticed water droplets spitting out the exhaust pipes, so I'm afraid I have a blown head gasket. I'm not sure if the water pump has ever been replaced since I just bought it 6 weeks ago. Is there a way to test the water pump??

Archived