LegacyGT.com

Camshaft Seal Leak - Replacement cost?

I've been getting a weird odor over the past 3 weeks of warming the LGT up in the morning. Finally I saw some "smoke" coming out of the hood the other day and found a leaky coolant hose. So a quick stop for some 1/2 in hose and I replaced it yesterday...

But to my surprise, I found a fairy bad oil leak coming out of the timing belt cover. Without taking it off, I'm assuming it a camsaft seal. Here the smell was a mixture of both - coolant and oil...

Does anyone know just how much I'd be looking at spending. I'm not looking to re-do all the the seal since this is the staw that broke the camels back! Once it's repaired it's going! I have about as much in repair costs as I do in the purchase price...

Has anyone used an oil addative, such as a stop leak (Bars Leak etc...)? I'm really curious but very tenative on using something like that. A cheap fix but a risky one knowing I've had spun bearing issues prior. Any thoughts would be helpful... And if your interested in a 05 LGT with a number of aftermarket parts with 84K miles on it (10 on short block, 60 on heads) please feel free to contact me!!! It's time to move on...

The seal is more like 20 bucks. Our pricing for a timing belt job is 725 for a turbo car, and that is replacing all the idlers, belt, tensioners, water pump, thermostat. So on top of the 725 it would be the cost of the seal and a little extra on labor.

Whatever you do though DO NOT put any additives in. They can clog the turbo oil passages and cause more issues with the car.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

The garage just called... Apparently the camshaft seal started wearing and is the most likely cause of the CEL to throw a code P0021 and P0011... Here the camshaft has a slight bit of play in it from the seal failing. He mentioned that the cam is slightly worn. The oprions are 1)new head 2) oversized seal 3) sleve it somehow...

My question is: Does anyone know if there is an oversized cam seal available? Who makes it and where could I get it? Secondly is there a sleve availabe to take the slop out of the sealed area? Would you know where to find it?

And the most important question: Has anyone else run into this problem? What has your experience been and how'd you get it fixed? Books and knowledge don't really measure up to real life experience...

Thanks for you input!!!

The garage just called... Apparently the camshaft seal started wearing and is the most likely cause of the CEL to throw a code P0021 and P0011... Here the camshaft has a slight bit of play in it from the seal failing. He mentioned that the cam is slightly worn. The oprions are 1)new head 2) oversized seal 3) sleve it somehow...

My question is: Does anyone know if there is an oversized cam seal available? Who makes it and where could I get it? Secondly is there a sleve availabe to take the slop out of the sealed area? Would you know where to find it?

And the most important question: Has anyone else run into this problem? What has your experience been and how'd you get it fixed? Books and knowledge don't really measure up to real life experience...

Thanks for you input!!!

Something is odd here. Seems like the mechanic isnt explaining it correctly to you.

Mike

• 6 years later...

Bump!

I bought a used 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT less than a month ago from Raleigh, NC Subaru pre-owned center and it has 136k miles on it.

When I'm going trough carfax it looks Timing Belt has been changed around 108k Miles and the sales guy mentioned that it is been changed while on their possession.

Now it looks like I'm having a same leak mentioned above, and it looks like its coming all the way down to my tie rod assembly. We have lift here and here's what we saw(Image attached).

I'm starting to love the car and this is my first ever subaru and planning not to abuse it and will take care of it for another 150k Miles . I used to own a Toyota and Mostly Hondas. I wanna have that peace of mind when driving.

IMG-1485.thumb.JPG.026d8145ea7eebad6832cd9f20943924.JPG

IMG-1484.thumb.JPG.7722bf8d061eb2c659c5d3b0e0ee8884.JPG

IMG-1486.JPG.e530cac54f9ca3e994fbf071bd689efd.JPG

IMG-1483.thumb.JPG.8d8a0f8ad54694325c581e2b2dc67866.JPG

When chasing an oil leak, it doesn't matter how far down it goes. It matters how far up it goes. Follow the leak up to its origin.

Thank you! I'll try my best to clean every places I could then locate where it coming from. If I can't find it I guess I'll just have to bring it to nearest dealership.

Was kinda hoping that someone had a same experience and can tell me how they'd fix it.:spin:

If the oil keeps leaking and ends up on the headers/up pipe it will take cars of itself eventually.

Otherwise, I was being sarcastic.

Ah yes, velly good point. At the risk of being pedantic, looks like he's dripping forward of the manifold.

OP, any smoke?

Archived