LegacyGT.com

Advice on Angry Idle/Misfiring 93 wagon

ali_c

My latest Subaru is a 93 legacy wagon. The present problem has do with misfiring. Im pretty sure the plugs are fine, it has new wires. I have not checked the coil yet.

It has recent history that may read into diagnosing it more accurately for you buffs out there.I bought it with a " temperamental " air intake system. the previous owner, a non mechanic guy tried to modify it. Main problem was it had trouble starting once warm. It was also leaking engine oil. Took it to the only 1 of 3 garages in town, a non Subaru one. They could not figure out the starting hot problem but suggested new gasket cover valves, which did stop the leaking. Alhough After i got it back the check engine light came on. It gave me 4 trouble codes when i diagnosed it.

Coolant temp sens

Throttle sens

neutral/inhibitor switch

Canister purge solenoid

I had the coolant temp sens replaced to fix the start problem.

They recomended the throttle switch as well. When I got it back the check engine light went out but it was misfiring badly and osolating like crazy in drive idle, and reverse idle. It's been parked now for 2 weeks. Could something they did in the process of fixing the other problems caused this? Or would either of the other 2 codes have anything to do with it. I really need some help. or advice on relaying how to let non Subaru mechanics know what it needs fixed since I can only do so much with few tools.

Thank you friends

jeezzz that sucks. I got the same car as yours, but AWD. Where in BC are you? And mine leaks oil like a bitch too. I can't figure out where it's coming from. The bottom of the motor is covered in oil.

If you didn't have the codes come up until the mechanic did some work, then you should have them take care of the issues. I would never rule out spark plugs without looking at them first. They're usually the first things to check in a Misfire. It's possible that your spark plugs might be covered in oil, or even coolant - which would cause the misfire. They could even be crappy spark plugs. Go to Lordco, buy 4 NGK V power plugs. Those are great for these cars.

Hi there. I am in the Rockies, East kootenays. Will go buy new plugs tomorrow for sure. The car has been in and out of that garage over 5 times. Each time something off when it came back. After i found out hey had no clue how to diagnose trouble codes on those models it made me uneasy about them working on it. This last time I decided I had enough with them trying to fix there mistakes an causing new ones. I mean it's an old car so ya might not just be them that's the problem. I still really wanna get it back on the road I like it.

It is an older year so I am not surprised it's leaking. I heard the stop leak type products just gunk things up. What kind of oil do you use. In the summer I put older subarus on 10w40. Having the gasket covers replaced on mine stopped the leaking there was also a little fuel sensor right above the left side gasket that had a cracked ring. They fixed that at the same time. How long have you had yours, is that one of it's only problem.

Thank you for writing back to me :)

Hey Ali... Sorry for the delay, forgot about this post. This website just notified me today of the reply. Glad to see you found the problem. Is the 4th spark plug the one next to the washer bottle? I noticed that spark plug on my car, was neglected - obviously some mechanic never changed it, because of the extra work involved. The spark plug looked twice as old as the rest.

The stop leak products don't actually gunk things up, they have a special additive that helps swell up the gaskets a tiny bit. Well, it's been about 300 kms now since I put in the stop leak product, and it has helped a lot. It's a beater car for me, and I'm not ever going to fix those oil leaks - not worth it. lol Thicker oil would be a good idea - thanks. I got 5w30 in there now.

Did you change all the plugs? or just checked each one?

• 2 weeks later...

It is the far left side. Both the far ones I found are harder to get at for sure. The problem in mine started once I got back from the shop. Turns out the 4th plug was left loose so it filled with dirt and water, I'm really happy that it was such an easy fix. Replaced all of them but it was only the 4th that had a problem. Yay turbo. Now I just need to replace the thermostat and it'll be running really good. I hear that's easy to.

Will be using stop leak at some point now I'm very sure. The winter has been so mild here I might have to switch back to 10/40. I bet the weather is really nice on the coast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived