LegacyGT.com

Car Stutter

sealoss

My 1998 legacy 2.5gt stutters when pressing down on the gas pedal. when i gun it it stutters for a second or two then starts to move. Since i bought the car i have put a cold air intake on it. after a couple of months this stutter problem began to happen. What should i do to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...
i have the same problem. it wants to stumble only when i push the gas. and the harder i push the gas..the more it stumbles and acts like its misfiring. so far ive just done the headgaskets,all oil seals, plugs, wires, checked injectors, good compression, egr is working( as it looks like it is ). the timing is right on the mark. so now im kinda lost too. anyone wih any clues?

If the engine responds nicely as the RPMs go up, it may be more Transmission/Diff related.

Essentially the Fluids tend to get overworked in these cars, and a fluid change ns both Transmission and Diffs help a lot to reduce binding. If it feels better afterwards then it's suggested to do 2 or 3 changes back to back.

I had quite a bit of sluggishness at low speed, and just one change made quite a bit of difference.

I also switched to Amsoil, although in hindsight I would do 2 or 3 back to back changes with standard fluids and then put in Amsoil as the final solution vs. just switching to Amsoil.

Right now my plan is to go through the winter on the current Amsoil and then the above plan in spring just to get some of money's worth.... :cool:

My car sometimes bogs down just when I immediately take off. It also tends to happen mostly when the engine is cold. Once it's warmed up, sometimes I get some hesitation. Couple this with the RPMs wavering when the car is idling and I'm fairly confident my IACV is messed up. You might want to check that too.

Archived