LegacyGT.com

Official Suspension FAQ - Swaybars - Struts/Springs - Coilovers - Alignment

so currently looking at a front sway bar and have a few questions:

From what i've read, it looks like the front bar from a gc impreza will clear in my gtb, is this correct?

Also, would doing the front only instead of both front and rear cause more harm than good in terms of attempting to reduce roll?

Is this worth doing despite having tein coilovers?

Want to avoid doing the rear since I often need the clear boot space >_>

EDIT: Last question, looking at either a cusco or an sti bar, both are roughly same price, does anyone have experience with either?

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys. newbie here! stumbled across this forum and thought id ask you guys a few questions. iv got a gen 2 legacy sedan. she's an absolute beaut! just wondering if these coils would fit and with what shocks to fit my legacy to give it a further drop!. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-sedan-STI-02-05-Lowered-King-Springs-/140694251381?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c207e775#ht_2607wt_1141

these are the coils

please help out guys!

much appreciated.

they will fit with just about any struts from an impreza that is non-sti 05-up. pretty sure they will fit the legacy struts but you will need impreza tophats.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

• 2 weeks later...
for the money that inserts cost and the work that is involved, there are much better routes to go. i looked into it about a year ago and quickly realized it wasn't worth the time.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

didnt seems like that much work, but havnt really heard much about ppl using them. been trying to find low mileage 04 sti suspension for under $200, but still have not found anything yet

You won't find anything. If you do, you lucked out becuase that barely ever happens. Lowest I've ever found them was $300. And that was from a buddy of mine..

regarding the original write up at the beginning of this thread, im a bit confused. what does the hub changing matter? did the struts get shorter when they did that?

i found a set of 06 sti springs and top hats for my car, but the guy wouldnt break out the struts. so, i picked up the full assembly for all 4 wheels for cheep, told him i only wanted the springs. springs have 6k on them, struts have a bit over 20k. he ended up with coilovers after driving it for the 6k on the springs.

im had some time and already had the car on a lift, so i tried to fit them on. direct fit, but too low by about an inch in the rear. put the stock set up back on, and am waiting to figure out which struts im going to go with.

^^^^300.00 that's a pipe dream! I never get that lucky.

Me neither.

I got lucky finding that STi suspension, a WRX exhaust system with a magnaflow muffler, 08 STi seats, and 06 WRX wheels for $800.

I couldn't pay for any of it..... So, I lost out. And that's after it was held onto for about 2 months. That's my typical luck..

• 4 months later...
Op: you may want to add to your part on lifting. I threw outback struts on my car and it made a huge mess. You get ridiculous amounts of rear caster, positive camber on all 4 corners, axles are stretched to max and are in danger of popping out, axles hit front control arms at full sag, steering geometry is at its max and sends bad vibration and shaking through the steering wheel and the rear sway bar acts as a limiter for the rear suspension. The fix for these problems are parts found on a stock outback. Sub frame spacers (front and rear), control arm mounts, diff carrier spacers, rear sway bar mounts, trans mount (or custom fab your own spacers for stock mounts), steering shaft extension, trailing arm mounts, and longer hardware for places where spaces are used. If you need more info on this for adding to this thread you can find it on other more off road orriebted sites or pm me.

I don't have a definitive answer for you but from what I noticed while searching salvage yards for outback parts is that the forester has spacers as well but they're about half the thickness of those on outbacks. That would leave me to believe that a forester suspension is a little lower (first gen anyway). I've heard of a few people running outback and forester struts as is. I would imagine these issues exist for most but they don't notice it because most people aren't mechanics. I drove near 1000 miles on my ob struts before I noticed anything besides the positive camber and shaking. I bought the car with a wrecked front suspension though so I'm not sure how it would feel otherwise. The best recommendation I have is do more research. Google it search forums and see what others with that setup have experienced. Edited by subajoo

• I Donated
My girlfriend's parents have 05 WRX springs from their sons old WRX in their garage, could I swap them straight onto my 95 Legacy LS? And would they make my car any shorter?

Read the first part of the thread and it answers your question

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."