LegacyGT.com

Official Suspension FAQ - Swaybars - Struts/Springs - Coilovers - Alignment

• I Donated
Why would you run a 25 mm sway when you need to flex offroad ? ???

Because I also like to have fun in the twisties. I usually disconnect my swaybars before I go offroad. This time I just forgot too.

And STI ones won't work for me because they sit too close to the chassis. I need the extended ones. The Outback ones are 2 inches longer.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
read the swaybar FAQ on nasioc. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better.

Are you telling me my swaybars are too big?

For what I need the swaybars for...they are perfect. I know what I'm doing with a Legacy....almost anyone here can tell you that as well.

I don't need information off of NASIOC to tell me what sway bar I need.

For the record, my rear swaybar is a 22mm adjustable. Meaning the stiff setting is equivalent to a 23mm (what I have it set at).

You have a lot to learn if you think there is one right answer where it comes to suspension tuning. There is no better or worse....or right or wrong. Its all about what is best for the driver. What may work perfect for me may be terrible for you. What works for you might be terrible for me.

I'm registered on NASIOC, and I have been for a very long time. The info on NASIOC is hit or miss. Some of it is right, some of it is dead wrong. Anything I see on NASIOC I don't trust until I can verify it elsewhere. NASIOC is a site full of a bunch of forum mechanics (with no real world experience) for the most part. Sure, there are people on there with lots of knowledge. But they are outnumbered by morons.

/asshole rant

Edited by broknindarkagain

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

who cares how many posts I have and how many posts he has? Just means I dont sit in front of a computer as much. you should really only run upgraded sways OR upgraded end links, not both. Especially if you're running upgraded struts/springs. His broken swaybar mount proves my point.

who cares how many posts I have and how many posts he has? Just means I dont sit in front of a computer as much. you should really only run upgraded sways OR upgraded end links, not both. Especially if you're running upgraded struts/springs. His broken swaybar mount proves my point.

:hide:

• I Donated

I use my car for both having fun in the twisties, and off roading. I do both extremes in my car.

When I off road, I usually disconnect my sways. I forgot to this time and it broke. Yes, for what I happened to be doing at that time, the sway bar was way too big.....but thats why I normally disconnect.

To be honest with you, it had nothing to do with having too big of a bar. And I'm not running both (even though I plan too). Its a Whiteline sway bar on stock end links and mounts.

And like I said before, suspension upgrades depend on the DRIVER....Suspension upgrades, techniques, and combinations are not "one size fits all".

Like I said, you have a lot to learn. Especially if you think that its always wrong to run both sways and end links. Some applications / uses require the stiffest suspension possible. Your "theory" is going to lead to unsafe cars and dead drivers. Its bad information like what you're giving that ruin automotive forums, and the automotive community as a whole.

Just to clear this up, I don't really sit in front of the computer that much. I work 80 hours a week and raise two children. I don't have much time to sit on the computer.

Edited by broknindarkagain

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
haha look at the noob try and school John!

Wish= 160 posts

Brok= 5,776 post :lol:

Haven't we already established in the past that I'm the one who does the schoolin'

lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

you should really only run upgraded sways OR upgraded end links, not both. Especially if you're running upgraded struts/springs. His broken swaybar mount proves my point.

Whut?

So... youre saying with my coilovers, 25mm rear sway and upgraded endlinks Im gonna ruin my car?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ZOMG!!!

Quick, hurry, who wants my end links and coilovers for free?? I gotta get worn out stock parts and put them back on ASAP!!!! :lol:

I don't see how that is true wish. My front bar keeps breaking stock endlinks. On my 3rd set of stockers now. So what do I do? Keep breaking them?

no, sell your sway and just upgrade your end links. duh... :rolleyes:

who cares how many posts I have and how many posts he has? Just means I dont sit in front of a computer as much.

http://www.pacificfab.net/gallery/d/1563-1/Oh+Snap.jpg

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/dmills31/hide-yo-kids-hide-yo-wife.jpg

http://fortheloss.org/images/shit-just-got-real.jpg

Just to clear this up, I don't really sit in front of the computer that much. I work 80 hours a week and raise two children. I don't have much time to sit on the computer.

04 WRX vs STI shocks/struts? or should i go with KYB AGX with H&R springs?

WRX vs STI

Same ride height, but the STI Struts and springs are more stiff and that is noticable.

KYB AGX with HR's will be lower than stated above and more stiff since AGX's out the box are 10% stiffer shocks than out the box and with the lowering springs on you will be lower and stiffer.

they are both great setups it a choice of how aggressive do you want to go HR's being the more aggressive choice

it's less about personal preference, and more about application. no one "prefers" to have the wrong setup for what they're using the car for. read what that other guy said in the autocross suspension thread. took the words out of my mouth.

it's less about personal preference, and more about application. no one "prefers" to have the wrong setup for what they're using the car for. read what that other guy said in the autocross suspension thread. took the words out of my mouth.

I wasn't refering to autocross, and even if i was, its still about what the driver prefers, not so much what is right or wrong but what works with the way they drive. That would make that a preferance. Although i was just refering to the ride height and stiffness in general of the suspension in question, and the ride hight/stiffness of your car is without a doubt a personal preferance.

my biggest confusion about lowering my legacy wagon with WRX or STi springs is, are you talking about the stock springs or the lowering springs for the wrx/ sti? i want to lower mine for the look and partly the handling, but this thing will likely never see a track. its a fwd non turbo model, and i use to for traveling for work and family stuff. i would like to avoid having a sloppy suspension in any case, but i really dont mind it not being optimal for autoX. i can get WRX springs for fairly cheap, 100-140 bucks depending on whether i want to cash-n-carry or not.

Wrx springs will barely lower your car any of at all. The back will definitely be lower than the front. The spring rate isn't that much better than stock legacy gt suspension. A only marginally better than L suspension. Look into sti pinks if you want factory stuff that works well.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.