LegacyGT.com

Official Suspension FAQ - Swaybars - Struts/Springs - Coilovers - Alignment

Looks like you have a Legacy Wagon and mine is an outback.

I should see a noticeable drop and stiffness especially with the STI springs.

Still insearch of tophats 02-07 WRX, Forester, Legacy.

I meant difference in tophats and spring diameter. They definitely dropped my car. I'm quite sure your tophats will work.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, just wanted to clarify a couple items. On the first page of this thread it says in the "Will STi struts and springs work on my car?" section: "05-07 STi springs will work too, but also require the '04-07 top-hats." But then a few lines down it says under the "Can I just use STi springs" section it says: "Yes, but you will need the 04-07 rear top-hats if you are using 04-07 springs".

The first part seems to imply that you need front and rear top hats; the latter just rear top hats from an 04-07. I'm pretty sure that you just need rear 04-07 (STi?) top hats, not front and rear (STi?) top hats. Just want to clarify.

Also, I found a thread(s) mentioning that if you use STi springs with OEM struts for our cars, that you have to "spin the tophat" (or something to that effect). Of course now I can't find those threads (my search skills are weak apparently!) but can somebody redirect me to those threads so I can see what's up with that?

Reason I ask these questions is because I'm planning on replacing my struts with OEM shocks, but with the springs from my 07 STI that I have sitting around. Want to make sure I have everything in order before going forward.

Just installed a set of Megan Racing "Street" coilovers designed for 03-08 Foresters

onto my 97 Legacy Outback Limited. Everything fits right up.

(except brake line mounting which was already known, but zipties will fix that).

The only downside is that the front camber plates do not align horizontally.

I tried rotating it in the three different position and just used the closest one to horizontal.

Just installed a set of Megan Racing "Street" coilovers designed for 03-08 Foresters

onto my 97 Legacy Outback Limited. Everything fits right up.

(except brake line mounting which was already known, but zipties will fix that).

The only downside is that the front camber plates do not align horizontally.

I tried rotating it in the three different position and just used the closest one to horizontal.

How are these working out and how do you have it set up (ride height/damper settings)?

How are these working out and how do you have it set up (ride height/damper settings)?

Havent driven it yet. I guessed at a preliminary coilover length based on the OEM struts minus 2.5" all the way around as a baseline.

Then Installed them and the wheels and put it on the ground.

Next I measured from top of tire to fender on front and back

to see how much lower I wanted it.

Took the wheels back off and adjusted height of coilover again.

Should be good to go now, but I have to bleed the brakes first.

Because in order to remove the OEM struts all brake lines had to be disconnected and routed through a hole in hte backet on the strut.

Should be back rolling tonight hopefully.

Because in order to remove the OEM struts all brake lines had to be disconnected and routed through a hole in hte backet on the strut.

Should be back rolling tonight hopefully.

i just took a small hacksaw to the bracket and notched it out.

Im running 245/40R18 with no wheel spacers without any scrub. Camber is moderate but definitely not "stanced". Running Triple C Camber bolts in the rears. Front camber plates are set at Zero. Fender is about 3/4 from outer diameter of tire all the way around. OEM sway bars for the moment. But the ride quality is excellent. The dampers' setting are currently set right in the middle between stiff and soft.

Will get a pic sometime today.

Im running 245/40R18 with no wheel spacers without any scrub. Camber is moderate but definitely not "stanced". Running Triple C Camber bolts in the rears. Front camber plates are set at Zero. Fender is about 3/4 from outer diameter of tire all the way around. OEM sway bars for the moment. But the ride quality is excellent. The dampers' setting are currently set right in the middle between stiff and soft.

Will get a pic sometime today.

With the damper set the way you have it, is the ride quality pretty harsh compared to stock?

• I Donated
the ride quality is excellent. The dampers' setting are currently set right in the middle between stiff and soft.

is the ride quality pretty harsh compared to stock?

No its not harsh at all.

I would say it is pretty safe to guess that the ride quality is excellent, just as he originally said.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

hey guys i need a little clarification on stock swaybars

i have the 95 L wagon with a rear bar oe, looking at the list im seeing the 95-99 ob has a 18mm rear bar which sounds fine for me, and 96-99 2.5 has a 20mm front are we including the lgt's and ob's in the 2.5 category i found a couple ob's in yards nearby and i am making a parts trip later in the week trying to choose what to go for.

I have the option of a LGT or OBS or a few OB's nearby, can anyone confirm which would have the 20mm front bar?

Edited by 93ej22

looking to pick up some 02 wrx sedan struts and 16" wheels tomorrow, just need to make sure they will work on my 95 wagon. from what i read it sounds like it will all work right, i will probably want to get some 3/8" rear spacers but beyond that everything will bolt up and work?

• I Donated
looking to pick up some 02 wrx sedan struts and 16" wheels tomorrow, just need to make sure they will work on my 95 wagon. from what i read it sounds like it will all work right, i will probably want to get some 3/8" rear spacers but beyond that everything will bolt up and work?

Did you read the suspension swap information?

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Did you read the suspension swap information?

yeah from what i read it said you can use pretty much any 02-07 wrx struts, but i was reading more and someone mentioned you are supposed to use wagon with wagon and sedan with sedan, i just dont want to haul the wrong parts home

Edited by 93ej22

yeah from what i read it said you can use pretty much any 02-07 wrx struts, but i was reading more and someone mentioned you are supposed to use wagon with wagon and sedan with sedan, i just dont want to haul the wrong parts home

You can use sedan parts on a wagon, but may need subtle saggy butt spacers

yep I picked them up and I have them on 3 of my 4 corners now, new wheels on the back as well. just waiting for my dad to stop by with his impact driver to break the lower bolt loose on the front pass side and I will have them on all 4. looking like I may make a set of 3/8" spacers with a misc cutting board I have sitting around, will see how it looks without them first.

other note of this project, I was thinking about the 1/2" drop from the wrx struts/springs, but I have the wrx wheels too and the tires have .7" more diameter so really I will only be .15" lower after the .35" is taken up by the tires

I have a 95 JDM BG5 GT wagon and would like to swap out my suspension. It currently has HSD coilovers, but even on the softest setting, they are way to hard for my liking. :( ABS goes off over the slightest bump while braking and it just feels like I'm bouncing down the road, even on my soft winter tires (I'm in Canada). Being in Canada, the roads aren't great, with many frost heaves and potholes. I was thinking I'd try out either a stock WRX or STi setup. Can anyone comment on the relative difference in ride quality between them? Any particular brands they'd recommend? Where to purchase? I want a sporty ride with good handling, but I don't want to get beat up all the time. It isn't my daily driver, and I'll only be driving it for fun, but not likely ever on a track. The car has Whiteline swaybars and links front and back. I'm pretty sure 22m rear and 20mm front. Any information/comments of WRX vs STi would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 95 JDM BG5 GT wagon and would like to swap out my suspension. It currently has HSD coilovers, but even on the softest setting, they are way to hard for my liking. :( ABS goes off over the slightest bump while braking and it just feels like I'm bouncing down the road, even on my soft winter tires (I'm in Canada). Being in Canada, the roads aren't great, with many frost heaves and potholes. I was thinking I'd try out either a stock WRX or STi setup. Can anyone comment on the relative difference in ride quality between them? Any particular brands they'd recommend? Where to purchase? I want a sporty ride with good handling, but I don't want to get beat up all the time. It isn't my daily driver, and I'll only be driving it for fun, but not likely ever on a track. The car has Whiteline swaybars and links front and back. I'm pretty sure 22m rear and 20mm front. Any information/comments of WRX vs STi would be greatly appreciated.

04 STI Springs on KYB Excel-G Struts for a WRX wiould be much softer and have great ride quality.

Thanks a bunch. I'm going to give that set up a go. Much appreciated.

FWIW, I plan (eventually) on doing something similar: KYB GR-2's with my 07 STI springs that I've had sitting in the garage for quite a while now. I understand that the GR-2's are slightly harder than what came with the cars originally, so that in combination with the STI spring I "think" would make a good combo providing a nice mix of handling improvement without sacrificing too much comfort.

FWIW, I plan (eventually) on doing something similar: KYB GR-2's with my 07 STI springs that I've had sitting in the garage for quite a while now. I understand that the GR-2's are slightly harder than what came with the cars originally, so that in combination with the STI spring I "think" would make a good combo providing a nice mix of handling improvement without sacrificing too much comfort.

If you have a wagon, you may want to get the saggy but spacers to help level out the rear when using the STI springs since they are from a sedan. The spacers are not needed, its up to you.

If you have a wagon, you may want to get the saggy but spacers to help level out the rear when using the STI springs since they are from a sedan. The spacers are not needed, its up to you.

Yes, thanks! I do have a wagon and plan on the recommended spacers in the rear (I think 3/8")

Or, maybe I'll just do some coilovers :lol: