LegacyGT.com

Instrument Cluster Problems...

UCBlogger

I have a 1990 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon. Yesterday the Speedometer Cluster has stopped working (exp. tachometer). :eek:

Here are the specific things that have stopped working:

Check Engine Light came on (but no other warning lights have come on)

Speedometer stopped

Odometer stopped

Trip counter stopped

The only thing that works for sure is the tachometer - which fortunately since I have a manual transmission; I can estimate how fast I am driving by my shifting intervals. What is the problem, how do I fix? Is this an easy (DIY) fix? Needs "Professional"? Expensive? HELP! :confused:

I have been lead to belive based on the symptoms that I need to replace the speed sensor. If so is it easy? Expensive? How to?

• 2 weeks later...

Well have obviously have not had any luck getting responses here or on 1 other forum I tried. But the good news I found this: http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm

I was able to successfully read the following 4 codes: (VSS #33 was my guess, but I was surprised about the others)

21Water temperature sensorAbnormal signal emitted from water temperature sensorAdjusts water to a specific temperature, maintains radiator fan "ON" to prevent overheatingX X22Knock sensorAbnormal voltage produced in knock sensor monitor circuitSets in regular fuel map and retards ignition timingX X23Air flow sensorAbnormal voltage input entered from air flow sensorControls the amount of fuel (injected) in relation to engine speed and throttle sensor positionX X

33Vehicle speed sensorAbnormal voltage input entered from vehicle speed sensorSets vehicle speed signal to a fixed valueX X

As I said, I now know what to do about error code #33 - VSS, but what do I do about the other codes. As far as I noticed there have been not symptoms or signs of the other codes. But I am a girl, so I guess I don't know what to look for anyway! Is it possible the other 3 are old codes? (within the last 6 months I have gotten: new radiator; new water pump; new thermostat; & new clutch & new head gaskets). If they are old, how do I clear them? What do they mean? Thanks!

Archived