LegacyGT.com

TurboXS Midpipe/Y-Pipe Development!

BAC5.2

The LGT DP is the 08+ WRX DP. Cat is downstream, out of the engine bay.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The LGT DP is the 08+ WRX DP. Cat is downstream, out of the engine bay.

Is the TXS DP for the LGT one of the ones that has a separate "cat" pipe that can be replaced with a catless "test" pipe? Ir is the cat actually a permanent part of the DP? I recently picked up a TXS Up Pipe and am really interested in their DP (if I can get it to work with a 5EAT) and eventually their mid, Y pipes, and mufflers. Loving what I've seen so far...

Yea, you have the option of a cat or not.

There's a revision of the pipe coming out, that will have up to two cats (one out of the engine bay, like now, and one in the engine bay in the main pipe, or any combination of the cats you want).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thanks for the tip. We'll be doing some testing to find out the best exit style for the Outback soon.

You COULD go single, but why? You can still see the mufflers even without the cutouts.

The OBXT owners could always go with the JDM OB bumper that has the cutouts. Yeah, I know...it's kinda expensive but it's an option, and looks much better IMHO. Or, I wonder if one of the aftermarket diffusers made for the LGT would work on the OBXT rear bumper with some trimming of the underlying plastic?

BAC5.2...will the revised DP be something that you have to choose at the time the order is placed? Or will the DP be modular where the cats are removable and replaceable like some of their other DP's? Also, I really want one that will be 5EAT compatible. I'm not familiar enough with the differences between the 5MT and 5EAT DP's, but if it's as simple as an added (or subtracted) mounting bracket that's not that big a deal. A bracket can always be added or removed pretty easily by a competent metal guy. But, if the routing of the piping is different and not compatible with the 5EAT then that's a different story...

Oh boy, I see BAC5.2 has been banned, so much for updates.

I was looking at downpipe options for the 5EAT over the weekend and I like Perrin's (2 piece has 2 cats which should keep noise down) but didn't see mention if it worked with the 5EAT and contacted them. They responded today and do have a setup for the automatic. Here is the response I got

If you have an auto, you will need the PSP-EXT-221F and PSP-EXT-223R downpipe. We don't have the PSP-EXT-223R part on the website, but you can order it from us by giving us a call.

I've not been banned!

I'll address questions tomorrow when I get more time!

I'm hopeful we'll start muffler mockups next week sometime.

I'm hopeful we'll start muffler mockups next week sometime.

Anxiously awaiting the outcome of the TXS Muffler development. Twin ovals that are a bit louder than stock, but not excessively loud would be ideal, IMHO. Holding out on buying any cat-back exhaust parts till after the TXS stuff is done....

I'm out of town until next week, so no updates until then.

I can't even find a TXS single catted DP for sale or on TXS website... any word on the double catted DP?

I will be going stg2 in a month or so and would love the double-cat for our emmisions testing. The catted Cobb (single cat) barely passes (or barely fails) from what other locals have reported

Any subaru, regardless of performance tune, should be able to pass a sniff test without a cat, just will have less emissions with a cat.

+1

Had a buddy about 7-8 years ago back in MD that had a pretty modded 1st Gen Turbo Legacy. He traded his 2nd gen LGT straight up for this guys heavily modded 1st Gen. Before registering it, he had to get it emissions tested where it passed. About a year later, he started having some loss of power issues and his first thought was that maybe the cat had melted and was choking up the exhaust (car ran pretty rich), but when he pulled the cat for inspection he realized that the cat was actually gutted by the previous owner. Don't remember what the actual problem ended up being, but he passed his emissions test a year earlier with a gutted cat.

Anxiously awaiting the outcome of the TXS Muffler development. Twin ovals that are a bit louder than stock, but not excessively loud would be ideal, IMHO. Holding out on buying any cat-back exhaust parts till after the TXS stuff is done....

I have an Invidia DP with Perrin mid- and y-pipes, and stock mufflers, and that sort of setup might be just what you're looking for. Perrin's midpipe is 3" splitting to 2.5" at the Y, much like TXS will be making. Perrin's has a resonator but it's so small I doubt it makes any difference (the midpipe swells to maybe 3.5" where the resonator is).

It sound plenty "modified" (rumble, a bit of crackle, etc) but the volume is much lower than any Subaru I've been in that had aftermarket mufflers, and there's no drone on the freeway. And of course it looks stock because the mufflers and tips are stock. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I have an Invidia DP with Perrin mid- and y-pipes, and stock mufflers, and that sort of setup might be just what you're looking for. Perrin's midpipe is 3" splitting to 2.5" at the Y, much like TXS will be making. Perrin's has a resonator but it's so small I doubt it makes any difference (the midpipe swells to maybe 3.5" where the resonator is).

It sound plenty "modified" (rumble, a bit of crackle, etc) but the volume is much lower than any Subaru I've been in that had aftermarket mufflers, and there's no drone on the freeway. And of course it looks stock because the mufflers and tips are stock. :)

Had a ride in this car today...talk about a wolf in sheep's clothing. :-) I think my stock system is noisier. Has a nice sound on the freeway, even better on the on-ramps. I have a catless Invidia DP on order, but still debating the Perrin mid & y-pipes.

Any subaru, regardless of performance tune, should be able to pass a sniff test without a cat, just will have less emissions with a cat.

Catalytic converters are for cold start emissions. That's simply because that initial period of cold start and warm up is where cars really produce most of their pollution. Manufacturers concentrate on getting the cat heated up as soon as possible to get it working effectively, which doesn't doesn't always mesh with "performance".

As mentioned elsewhere, you can probably get a catless car through a basic sniffer test, as long as the car has been warmed up and driven a bit to get some heat in the exhaust system.

When cars with aftermarket cats don't pass sniffer tests, it's most likely because they were never tuned for the aftermarket catted or cat-less downpipe. That usually causes the car to run rich right there, not necessarily a dangerous state for the engine, but one that definitely show up on a sniffer. Two cat systems do "better" on the tests for a fairy simple reason - the two aftermarket cat systems usually don't flow that much better than the OEM two cat systems, thus it doesn't run too rich.

California emissions is different from all that purely because it is also a visual inspection system, and if you don't pass visual, you are out of luck. Magnaflow has been claiming a California friendly, OBD-II friendly ceramic cat, but I don't think that is actually working out.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

Catalytic converters are for cold start emissions. That's simply because that initial period of cold start and warm up is where cars really produce most of their pollution. Manufacturers concentrate on getting the cat heated up as soon as possible to get it working effectively, which doesn't doesn't always mesh with "performance".

You do realize that you are contradicting yourself right? First you wright that cats are for cold starts which is not true right there then you say that cats are not effective when cold....and that part is true.

Cats were created to speed up/enable, decomposition, dispersion of elements produced in combustion chamber. As for any reaction in the universe temperature is a catalyst here so yeh cold cats don't work that well that's why they are more useful when engine is warm. Following your logic sitting in a rush hour traffic with all those hot engines on all 8 lanes should be peachy in pre cat times just as it is now :) Ok it's not peachy now but at least we can breath :)

Archived