LegacyGT.com

2nd Gen Engine FAQ - Turbos - MPG - Engine Builds - Engine Swaps - Engine Management

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your heads should be find then... Just use the short block from the JDM motor and put your top end on, using OEM or Cometic head gaskets. Get an AM Auto gasket kit of eBay for the rest of the gaskets you'll need. They'll come with new valve guides and valve stem seals. Use the cams and valvetrain components from the JDM heads if you can.

I know that the jdm external casting is different, hence the egr issue.

But all cam journals look to be the same. Is there a benefit to the internals from a jdm head?

I wouldn't think so but to be sure, you'd have to compare cam lobes, valve length/size & spring strength/material for a start.

. . . . daFUQ is happening in here?

. . . with the JDM EJ25DE, you DO NOT need to run a USDM IM nor is it imperative to tap the head for EGR, it is 100% plug and play (pre-'98 as a replacement for BOTH the 2.2 and 2.5).

Swap ECUs to a non EGR if the CEL bothers you or you need it gone, the only negative is about a 1/8mpg difference IF that and has virtually no other ill effects.

Drop it in and go.

Edited by Zues Marine

well sourcing, learning about everything that entails swapping/tapping heads and IMs - seems impractical to me for someone looking for a cheaper motor like the JDM ones opposed to just grabbing one locally.. so if he's looking to get to work for the week he can get his car running, he could plug in and worry about the CEL later..

but tapping the heads is really more work than needed imo, the ECU swap would be the easiest, may end up easier finding that one in an impreza, CEL fixed. that was the only code i threw from those swaps both times so you'll be good without an IM swap, although some of the jdm's stuff is in weird places

yeah theyd be from other usdm subarus, so you'd still pass emissions

but i wouldnt worry about emissions from jdm motors, since we all know how much more crazy strict they are than anywhere over here, ha

well, i guess not the MY<'94 ones for OBDII

Edited by Zues Marine

I have a 97 2.2 Leggy, And Im not going to do anything crazy but I was wondering, Instead of putting the 2.5 block between the 2.2 heads, Could I in Theory put 95 (duel Port) heads on my 97 block, I know the cams are different but Should it work and give me that little bit more air flow, I know the 95 Heads drop valves like crazy but that is no concern for me as I replaced valves many times over on these things. As well Would the 97 Intake fit the 95 Heads? Thanks

Dual port heads, hand down.. Being able to put an inexpensive header on along with upgrades outweighs the cost of just a custom header for the single ports..

Awesome thanks! I was thinking the same but if it wasn't going to be To much of an improvement over the Single Ports I would just stay with the 97 heads.

• 2 months later...

hey guys, new to the forum, and need to find out fast.

my bd5 jdm legacy has some front end damage, (right fender, bumper, and hood)

was going to replace all of it, but then i thought maybe swap sti front end, are they compatible with a little modification? im most concerned with how the fenders and hood would line up in comparison to the legacy parts.

thanks guys

hey guys, new to the forum, and need to find out fast.

my bd5 jdm legacy has some front end damage, (right fender, bumper, and hood)

was going to replace all of it, but then i thought maybe swap sti front end, are they compatible with a little modification? im most concerned with how the fenders and hood would line up in comparison to the legacy parts.

thanks guys

I see this thread potentially turning out like this one, which might answer your question JDMspartan.

Hood and headlights question????

There are things that will work such as suspension mods, but that's not what you're talking about here.

Second Generation (95-99) Suspension Upgrades / Info

It has also been suggested to search out this site for parts that match up. http://car-part.com/

:spin:

The only reason I look at other peoples cars is so I can see my Subie in the reflection - Carver Snell

Check out 2nd Gen Legacy Enthusiast & Resource Directory

well sourcing, learning about everything that entails swapping/tapping heads and IMs - seems impractical to me for someone looking for a cheaper motor like the JDM ones opposed to just grabbing one locally.. so if he's looking to get to work for the week he can get his car running, he could plug in and worry about the CEL later..

but tapping the heads is really more work than needed imo, the ECU swap would be the easiest, may end up easier finding that one in an impreza, CEL fixed. that was the only code i threw from those swaps both times so you'll be good without an IM swap, although some of the jdm's stuff is in weird places

ALL usdm ej25d's have egr, swapping to another ecu won't make a difference to that. The only way an ecu swap would make a difference to egr is IF its a 5MT vehicle and you use an ej22 ecu.

That said, auto and manual use the same ecu, the only diffence to them is a wire that runs from the tcu to identify it as an AT car.