LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Well WRXish is under the knife at the only local shop I trust to touch the car in the hands of the only other mechanic on the planet I trust to touch the car. Its been a bad year. Throw out bearing is ordered and should arrive by shortly after christmas, im getting the brake system flushed and bled and with any luck at all I will have a running car before 2017 dies. The plan is to start on the bodywork then in January and hopefully by spring be ready to shoot the car with paint or plastidip...still havent decided which way to go. It will probably be dip though due to the lower cost and the fact it can be done at home. It will make the car look respectable without making it into a show car. Anyone care to weigh in on the relative merits of paint versus dip? Or should I start a new thread?

• 1 month later...
Definitely what the car needed all along. In addition to running of course.

Running is great, but even sitting there that thing is teh sex. Have you considered parking it in your living room?

Yikes MonkeyPoseur, Glad to hear it ended up being a clearcut fix!

WRXish, what happened? I'm so out of the loop these days. The only deal with dip is you'll need to be concerned about rust if you have any bare metal areas.

As far as me, I picked up a '92 SS with a 5-speed last weekend (bucket list item: road trip to pick up a car and drive back? check!). Today I replaced the 25 year old radiator that had to cracks in the pass side tank. Made it 600 miles without rupturing, wow. Oil change, GR-era WRX shift knob, LED headlamp bulbs.

The company I work for now fabricates stuff for Toyota pickups, talked to the CEO (I'm a marketing director) about me fabbing some stuff for my car. He's all about it, and if anyone is interested I may have some parts to offer in about a month. Looking to do a proper "coffee cup" mod and fender braces. Maybe more depending on how it goes. Braces will be simple CNCed probably aluminum. Resonator mod will be tumbled and polished stainless tubing with hose nipples installed. Can't wait to do that stuff and weld up some exhaust. And wheels, I want some early WRX 16's or some 08-10 WRX 17's. Need a little more room to fit the brakes I've got sitting in boxes waiting to be installed!

I have some pristine 17"x7 WRX rims with the centercaps that came off my 2009 WRX I would happily sell to the right buyer. They currently have a set of all season Michelins on them as 'rim protectors' that would pass va state inspection. Clearly they would need to be picked up rather than have me ship them for obvious reasons. They really are in very nice shape with NO curb rash or anything of the kind. Shoot me a PM with your contact info and a serious offer on the wheels. I can get some photos if you like but they truly look like they rolled off the showroom floor. Edited by livinon2wheels
forgot something

Running is great, but even sitting there that thing is teh sex. Have you considered parking it in your living room?

WRXish, what happened? I'm so out of the loop these days. The only deal with dip is you'll need to be concerned about rust if you have any bare metal areas.

Well, new developments even since my last post. The engine I had built by Ballos Machine in Richmond VA like 18 months ago, yeah I am naming names now cause they screwed the pooch big time on my car and did their best to **** up the car in the process.... Their original engine made it about 5000 miles before a rod knock took it out. They allegedly replaced the crank, new bearings, put the engine back in the car (all the while I am driving a rental), only to have the clutch so badly misadjusted that I didnt make it home from richmond before the clutch started slipping so badly that it was ruined, and on top of that they broke the connector off of knock sensor right at the connector on the wiring harness where its impossible to fix easily. Several hours later, I did indeed have the broken connector repaired, but on my nickel and on my time...grrrrr. Incompetent bastards.

That engine, lasted barely 1000 miles and is currently out of the car being stripped down to analyze where it is binding up. If you turn the engine around by hand there is one place in the rotation where it gets tight and doesnt want to turn. Needless to say, I did NOT take it back to Ballos to do this work because they clearly dont know their ass from a hole in the ground. I should find out something on this problem this week. Maybe...The car has been out of service now since I got the car back from Ballos in Mid October of last year. I live in the country and have to have a utility vehicle of some kind...to carry off trash, pull the trailer, etc...due to the extended period of down time on WRXISH I broke down and bought another wagon...an 07 leggy automatic SE. Its a land yacht by comparison but is slowly acquiring some reasonable level of competence. More money down the crapper. So the saga of WRXISH continues. None of the problems are the fault of the car. But getting it back on solid footing so I can actually use the car for its intended purpose has been an aggravating and extremely frustrating and wildly expensive experience and its not there yet. Another chapter forthcoming....

Edited by livinon2wheels

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
I've got an EJ22T in my Porsche 914, and recently upgraded to a RobTune setup. That means I've got spare parts from the conversion. I've got three spare ECUs, two spare MAFs and a set of WitchHunter recently-rebuilt grey-top injectors. I'm located in San Luis Obispo, CA if anyone wants to stop by to check 'em out.

Bought new Outback struts and a bunch of other parts. Hopefully I'll have time to do the work on it soon. It's needs some crap.

Gotta figure out why my AC randomly turns off or to vent. Currently hitting the top of the dashboard will occasionally fix it, but it's not a long term solution

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Long time no reply. I am bringing my 93 legacy back from the dead with a 05 STI 6 speed, brembo swap. I bought the swap from a friend who was making 450whp before a cylinder wall let go. I plan on running 325 tops. But first, my old ej20g burned/broke a valve due to a bad ecu leaning a cylinder out. Now I have built a megasquirt ms3x efi and wired it in with a new harness. The motor is a low mileage jdm ej205 non avcs with a 05 wrx intake, ported tgv's, perrin fuel rails, injector dynamics 1000cc injectors, grimspeed ported headers/crossover/uppipe with tial 44mm EWG, bloush 2.5GT ball bearing turbo and Tial BOV. I will be getting the motor running and driving with the 5 speed first. Then buying some new brembo friendly wheels and swapping in the 6 speed/r180, MAP DCCD, brembos, 1000hp rear axles. 6110e08fa38034cdcb5811fc362f28f5.jpgb07db065b261f6fd9672c18ec0933438.jpge8c533e286c223f6f07da9936eb7d4a4.jpga75c2edd57f843b4b2bb23a1992e12d5.jpg739874ea61086220f2460e96fd74eaa3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nice dude! Been a long time!

I'm selling my 93 SS. :( If anyone is interested PM me. I haven't listed it locally yet, just on bbslegacycentral in the hopes that I find a good home for it.

Never thought I would sell it but I have the 360 whp Bugeye, and two outback XTs. I'm turning one of the XTs into a lifted desert battle wagon and the other XT I bought to give to my wife. My XT is has the 5MT and it's super fun. I'm going to get it to about 300, maybe 350 whp and call it good, lol.

The SS has been her daily for like 8 years or something and it's been great and she loves it, but it takes a lot of maintenance to keep it going and I want her to have a nice reliable car that she feels safe in.

Edited by monkeyposeur

Long time no reply. I am bringing my 93 legacy back from the dead with a 05 STI 6 speed, brembo swap. I bought the swap from a friend who was making 450whp before a cylinder wall let go. I plan on running 325 tops. But first, my old ej20g burned/broke a valve due to a bad ecu leaning a cylinder out. Now I have built a megasquirt ms3x efi and wired it in with a new harness. The motor is a low mileage jdm ej205 non avcs with a 05 wrx intake, ported tgv's, perrin fuel rails, injector dynamics 1000cc injectors, grimspeed ported headers/crossover/uppipe with tial 44mm EWG, bloush 2.5GT ball bearing turbo and Tial BOV. I will be getting the motor running and driving with the 5 speed first. Then buying some new brembo friendly wheels and swapping in the 6 speed/r180, MAP DCCD, brembos, 1000hp rear axles.

That looks like a BEAST!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• 2 months later...

Phase-II of the make Blighter staunch project underway! Picked these skirts off a GT wagon last week. I love whoe subie sedans and wagons of a generation having the same wheel base thing!!!

First I gotta remove my poverty spec mudflaps desigened to fit skirtless cars...

47801293402_0bc46ef5a0_b.jpg

IMG_5130 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Wash the dirt off and hit it with some degreaser

33976134718_655bcff95a_b.jpg

IMG_5131 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Then hit it with the Meguiars Ultimate Compound, ******* excellent stuff. Sadly they have rubbed into the paint over the last 28 years. What can one do. Will dab over the exposed metal with a paint pen when I can.

33976134588_186aa3d94c_b.jpg

IMG_5133 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Next up, start the drilling! Thankfully there's a paint line where the underbody seal stops right around the same place the holes should be, so I could use that for the vertical placement of the holes. Longitudinal placement was easy, just mock the skirt up on the sill and mark it out. Managed to get it pretty accurate.

33976135608_9395dacc9a_b.jpg

IMG_5126 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

47801293862_28b97b862a_b.jpg

IMG_5127 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Like a bawss!!

33976135148_af211fbdd2_b.jpg

IMG_5128 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

33976135268_7b75a671ff_b.jpg

IMG_5129 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

40886760103_06a2b09ebd_b.jpg

IMG_5134 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

So, all that's left to do is wash them (I will re-paint them in the summer), drill the holes for the nut certs on the underside of the sill, and bolt em up!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QKd4oTHh.jpg
I remember you first getting this car, it has come a long way. Looks great!

I got a lot of the 6 speed swap done and its a lot of work. Finding a first Gen auto driveshaft was tough, but only because I needed one. There were 4 at the junkyard, all 5spds... never happens. Anyways after going through my lol contacts, I found one from another turbo legacy owner locally. Another thing was the 6 speed shift rod(lower) was too long, and some transmission tunnel bracing that you bolt the lower shifter bushing into was in the way. I drilled a hole large enough for the shifter rod to stick out past the back of the bushing into the tunnel bracing.

Also got the energy suspension bushings in the rear lower control arms, machine shop almost gave up on the one piece but they finally got them in. After getting it done, I realized it would have been easier to cut the one piece bushings in half and would have been able to do it myself.

I also painted the intake after finding an intake gasket, fuel injector leak and already having to take the intake off. I'm going to try using my master clutch cylinder(02wrx) with the STI slave. Using the STI master will require some fabrication of a mounting bracket to hold the hard line to the firewall. It came with a stainless steel clutch line so I will install it eventually. Also, replaced all the pink STI stainless brake lines with the Goodridge SS lines than came with my purchase. Also, getting the perrin adj sway bar to fit took some hammering/cutting/ruining of my spare tire well. Just happen to be where my battery was mounted also so that was relocated. Motor was running great, more low end torque than the ej20g, still need to configure the megasquirt before I run more that 10psi. Big turbo was laggy but it was super rich still. Still another weekend of work left.5389a24e1fd15f284b32bfa316e42bd7.jpg0089e2289fdc433e684840fd19d7e21b.jpgfe8a32fdabb6fdcc49e6f4139fa1e12e.jpg6b2ce9863bf707bb896d216938b5594d.jpg0e996efaaf4c78f2cbf9a0cc17e12ff8.jpg5c637fb8df34a3410126bbe1dedec1de.jpgc55dc7931bbe2cfd046bf04c57e618bb.jpgd38277c7d1ad88b29d23872765a0d56d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Hah, what did I do to my 1st gen recently? I reminisced greatly. I had a 93 Legacy L that we nicknamed the boobie subie, bought it for $624.20 from a guy who was moving home after college (he wanted $1200 but I talked him down to 620 cause I was a broke high schooler, he thought the extra 4.20 part was hilarious). It was primer black (burgundy when I got it, drove it for a few months but the day I registered it some drunk dude at a party beat the shit out of it with a golf club due to a case of mistaken identity as if I was luck enough to get any pussy back then let alone his girlfriend's, it was easier to just bondo and primer it), mud spatter stains soaked into the primer no matter how many times I washed it, steelies, broken exhaust, a typical turd. Yet I still miss it so bad.

It was decent when I got it but man that car took a beating and kept on going. I drove that thing into the ground, the junkyard wanted me to pay to have them take it in the end (but I told them to get fucked and they gave me $35 lol). I got rear ended and paid almost double what I bought it for, and still put another 20k on it after that! By the time I got rid of it the driver's door was deck screwed and silliconed shut, there was no reverse, it leaked about a quart of oil a day (onto the manifolds so it smoked like a mofo), and the rod knock was so loud it would trip up the knock sensors until it finally let go on the highway.

I love my 4th gen GT don't get me wrong, and I've had more than 30 cars over the years, but my first Subaru was just special. Still my favorite interior out of any car I've owned over the years. And damn, all the good times in it, can't replace that. Late night "rallying" in the farmland, jumping clear over intersections, weaving down the turnpike at 125, super tight donuts in the snow till the kid in the back threw up... Glad to see you guys keeping them alive. I'd love to have another one, but in no way am I gonna go out of my way to get one. Who knows, maybe 10 years from now I'll find some old lady selling a 94 turbo with 60k on it that she's had since new for a a couple grand cause she doesn't know what she's got.

Anyway, now that I sufficiently feel old as balls... keep it up guys. Love seeing these things still on the road and still being being loved. The mods are cool too, remind me of what I would have done if I had any money at all back then.

Edited by RecklessWOT

• 2 months later...

Sold the car a few years back. Bought it back about a year ago for $600 cause I missed it so much.

Stuff done since getting back:

Replaced ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, whiteline steering rack bushings, moog front endlinks, customish whiteline and poly rear endlinks, new flex plate, rear cam seal, rear main seal (viton), oil separator cover, valve cover gaskets, pcv valve t-connector, injector 3, injector 4, air filter, fuel filter, re-soldered knock sensor, 98 outback KYB struts, battery, cleaned and repainted some areas, replaced the motor/regulator in the driver door and the window control housing, re-soldered the back of the AC panel, upgraded the factory aux stereo to a nicer Kenwood one and got some Rockford Fosgates for it, replaced rear wheel bearings, added a receiver hitch...I know there's more. Either way, it's looking pretty good these days. I plan to bring it to Subifest in November.

I have new tires and after all of the suspension work it still feels a bit floaty. I'm sure it's due to keeping old springs and having it lifted to begin with. Any advice on what I could do to have it less so? I'd love not to spend a crap-ton of money on upgrades at this point. I'm considering strut braces front and rear, but not sure how much that would help.

I have WRX wheels on it with some Ohtsu 205/55's. Is the sidewall too high?

Soon to be done when I get free time:

Repaint the grille

Replace the calipers, rotors and pads all around

Repaint my WRX wheels

Install my 4 Hella's...probably...if I can find a good way to mount them that's removeable.

Here's a more recent picture of it:

OtzJ3Lq.png

Edited by Legacy Wagon

Mad jealous of the red. Only seen 2 out in the wild as wagons. 1 was pretty beat on the driver's side, the other wrecked and picked in a junkyard. That was over 4years ago. Wish I could buy that from you for 600$ I could use a trip to Florida ;)

• 4 months later...

Haven’t posted in a while, I had given my old Subaru to my dad. Just had to do headgaskets on it. Left side was leaking coolant into cylinders. 6 hours to pull engine. Replace headgaskets and head bolts and clean it up. Installed a new clutch while in there. Back to running good again!!f063d25b6f6db706141453a7550a60ca.jpgf0fcc3dbf37bfb265baaf7a996ee362e.jpgb55d36afc434ab3a88fd8fb4cf2da29d.jpg25303c0577889b1fce5ae2769d30b2e7.jpg343a5088e1e7288cc46d91b418d3188f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

New to the forum

I bought a 91 Legacy RHD for USPS job. Transmission is not working at the moment, need to take it to the mechanic to check it. What years could be use to swap it. I found a chart showing 91-09, could somebody, please confirm that for me. I only found 2 on ebay and the price is almost what I paid for the car and they are from a 91.

Thanks in advance