LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Parts availability is getting to be exciting. Also some parts are insanely expensive compared to second gen Legacys.

Is it just a dead charging system that's keeping it from running, or something more interesting? Oh, don't expect the rear wiper to work correctly if the car has been through more than a few car washes.

SC

Turns out its an auto with no 3rd gear. So top cruising speed of 40 mph. 20 mile commute on the freeway, so I walked away. The alternator is only putting out 12 volts even, so it slowly drains.

John Hancock

• 10 months later...

Man, this thread has sure died, lol.

I've done a bunch of shit to my SS recently:

New steering rack

New tie rod ends

Alignment

New OEM power steering lines

Mechanical Boost gauge (stupid electronic gauge busted)

Head unit

Component door speakers with amp

Driver's side door handle

Replaced duty c solenoid :spin:

Replaced TCU twice

Replaced oil pan

Replaced power steering pump

Replaced 4EAT clutch drum assembly

Three or four drain and fills.

Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets.

Got almost everything ready for my turbo swap:

Mint td04 w/3k

06 XT tmic

MBC

440cc injectors and rails

Robtune ECU

4to2 ignition conversion

EDM glass headlights with leveling switch on the way.

Two front fenders to go on.

Keyless entry to install.

:lol:

well got the car back from the dumb asses in richmond who rebuilt the engine for the second time and subsequently reinstalled it in the car and they managed to misadjust the clutch badly enough that the clutch is hazed and now must be replaced..... They also broke the wire off right at the connector that goes to the knock sensor making a rather desperate and difficult repair necessary of that piece. That they considered the job complete and finished is unbelievable. Yes....I am naming names now...Ballos Precision Machine in Henrico, VA...totally incompetent and if you go there you have been warned. 18 months and I STILL do not have a driveable car.

Yes....I am naming names now...Ballos Precision Machine in Henrico, VA...totally incompetent and if you go there you have been warned. 18 months and I STILL do not have a driveable car.

Damn dude, that sucks. I feel ya. I had a shop destroy an $1800 set of heads. They lied about it for months and I tried to be the nice guy and give them the benefit of the doubt. Only thing that worked was threatening legal action. I had a case against them and was about to serve them papers. And then the shop that machined my shortblock did it wrong and I had to fix it. Good help is hard to find.

I'm mocking up my td04 and XT tmic install for the SS. Once I get that installed and working correctly I'll install the RobTune ecu and get even more hp. :cool:

^A slanty JDM 20g, or an 06 WRX/FXT with the angled BPV will be a direct fit. An 02/03 WRX tmic will fit if you bash the firewall and shave the throttle body.

06/XT tmics are a dime a dozen out here.

I was about to say Joe if you need the fxt one we can find one out west here pretty easily

God, I wish this JDM Version 3 STI TMIC would fit on my setup: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2855231

Joe, maybe you could get this to work. It's so cool, I wanted it to work so badly. :( I'm sure I could figure out some way to stuff it in but I already have everything I need for my XT setup.

Thanks for the input guys! I have had a pretty hard time out here finding one in good shape that is also a good price.

I tried my friends Forester TMIC and the spot for the bpv is in the way, I was sure his car was an 06 though, I will ask him. Could I cover that with a plate or adapter to relocate? Its sitting in my garage still, and fits fine except that one spot.

My only real concern is not bashing in the firewall to make something fit.

I replaced 5 wheel studs because a wheel stud snapped off and the other four lug nuts backed loose and were hanging on by a few threads. My wife told me the car was making noise a while ago. I couldn't hear anything.

She told me it got a lot worse so I took it around the block. Sounded horrible, clunking like crazy. I brought it back home and I jacked the car up and noticed the driver's side wheel was about to fall off. :eek:

I had the car aligned recently and a flat repair but the shop told me they didn't touch that wheel. So either I fucked up when I replaced the steering rack and didn't tighten the bolts or didn't seat the rim correctly, or the wheel stud snapped and allowed the other nuts to back off.

I'm glad she wasn't hurt or had some severe car damage if the wheel would have come off, but mostly glad she wasn't hurt.

The rim is shot. The holes are oval so there is no way I am putting that rim back on. I swapped on a winter setup in the meantime.

today I pick up the new clutch and pressure plate, shifter bushings for wrxish as well as the ac tensioner that seems to fail on these cars after about 25 years or so lol. With luck, in a day or two I can start driving it again and finish breaking in the the new engine. With even more luck this engine will actually hold together without failing, although given the quality of work I have seen so far, I have serious doubts about that. I have put my very soul into getting this car where it is today and cant seem to get anyone to do what they say can and will do when it comes to delivering on their promises. Mostly no one wants to take the time to be careful doing the work and to even make an effort to avoid breaking something else in the process of fixing something. Its been a very frustrating year and one that has meant almost a total loss of utility of the car because its been off the road more than its been on. Finding competent mechanics who will be careful and not damage parts that there are no longer replacements for is becoming a seriously challenging job. I dont know how it is in other areas but no one in my part of the country gives a crap about being careful with an old car.

It almost makes it necessary for me to do all the work myself, even the jobs I may not be well suited for because of skill level or equipment. At least I give a crap how it turns out. At any rate, my first gen car has gone from being a fun project to one that has exacted its pound of flesh from me and has due to the lack of competent professional support turned into something of nightmare. I keep hammering away at it because I dont give up easily and I love the car when I am driving it...its the time underneath it that has so far outweighed the seat time this year that is really starting to taint the experience. I hope others are having a more satisfying experience with their cars...

• 4 weeks later...

My 93 Turbo legacy was accelerating on it's own without pressing the gas pedal. My wife called me and told me the car was possessed. She had to use the brakes to keep it from going too fast and had a scary time getting it home with our two dogs.

In park it would idle up to 5k and keep climbing. I thought it was probably a bad IACV so I dismantled the airbox and removed the 90* elbow to get at it. When I was removing the PCV hose the F-tube cracked. It is the only old OEM PCV line I had left on the car. I knew then that my day was about to get longer and more complicated fabricating a new one. :mad:

I then had to partially dismantle the turbo to have enough room to get at the crankcase breather and even then it took me a good hour to get the stupid hose off.

The IACV wasn't too sticky but I cleaned it with carb cleaner. I hit up the auto parts store and used some 3/4" silicone hose and a reducer hose to use up the remnants of the f-tube. I replaced the top of the IACV (I have three spare IACVs) for good measure.

While hooking everything back up and still at a loss for why the car was acting funny I discovered that the TPS wiring was all cracked and twisted allowing the wires to short out! I taped up the cracks and marine grade heat shrinked the wires. Put everything back together and the car is running flawlessly again! :cool:

Super cold out today but I'm glad I got it fixed and running again.

http://i.imgur.com/WlAZusF.jpg

Edited by monkeyposeur

• 2 weeks later...