LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Ok now its my turn. Has anyone had problems with the first gen legacy hood latches not holding and popping loose going down the road? This has been an ongoing occasional problem with mine, even replaced the latch mechanism several years ago. That solved the problem for a while but that is one of those parts that doesnt seem to be available anymore, so replacement looks like not an option. I worked on it today trying to get it to latch and hold and don't know yet if I actually solved the problem or not. But that is what I worked on.

The only time I've had my hood pop on me while I was driving was because I didn't close it correctly.

I would almost wonder if something is loose and causing the cable to release the latch?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

actually, it only happens when the weather is really hot, well over 90 degrees F, and once things cool down it latches just fine and seems to stay latched. I have tried everything I know to do including changing the alignment of the slightly and even to move the hook that is mounted on the hood a little bit to try to make it latch...no joy.

• 3 weeks later...

Where's the pics???^

Meanwhile I found a 91 baby blue wagon, grey interior. Manual. 63k for 3600$ hoping I can talk the person down but don't want to offer them 2grand and piss them off. License plates have a handicapped logo and it looks mint otherwise so might have me a winner!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

test drove mine and put gas in it. yesterday i ran seafoam thru the iacv to see if this would eliminate my problem with engine stalling at idle and also while driving. seems it may have but will know for sure this weekend when i take it for a 3 hr drive. problem is torque bind seems to be coming back, so i will do a fluid drain and replace, to see if this helps. guess i may need to do this ona monthly basis to be sure i always have very clean oil in my trans.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2460-1474546504.jpg

i did not know about it before i bought my legacy in dec either. it has become my least favorite thing. many threads on the topic but here is the one i used to fixed mine THE FIRST TIME : ( hoping i do not need to go back in. this thread explains the whole damn thing.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/75718-more-on-torque-bind/

Edited by jimkelly1964

Drove 750 miles to pick up a 135k mile 1990 awd sedan parts car for my 1991 awd wagon. My car has 267k and the transmission is behaving poorly. It drops out of lockup then into 3rd gear back to 4th and lock then repeat when warm. It is even the same color so interior trim matches.