LegacyGT.com

More Outback Track Pics

03Indigo

for our annual track day event, we had Matthew Daniels, a professional photographer, out at the track taking pics of the 35 participants that day. These are a few of his shots that he sent to me...makes me look cooler than I actually was. Nice to have pics of your cars really performing, and looking good while doing so. The rest of the pics can be found at http://www.getoutanddrive.com and go to the order photos section and look under the RMCB5 track day event, that will link you to a viewer that has hundreds of photos from that day.

I know you guys are probably sick of seeing my outback, but these are such great shots, I wanted to start a new thread, so they are not burried in the other one. Also, you can see me bustin' a move in my MINI :)

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album92/rmcb5_may2805_jkessel002.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album92/rmcb5_may2805_jkessel004.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album92/rmcb5_may2805_jkessel007.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album92/rmcb5_may2805_jkessel008.jpg

http://www.rmcb5.com/albums/album92/rmcb5_may2805_jkessel015.jpg

how about some power oversteer :)

It is soooooo hard to get this car to oversteer, right now, it is so perfectly balanced, and the turn in is GREAT....I feel it is perfect for what i was looking for. I was able to get the back end out once on the track, but wimped out and got off the throttle and let it recover....but it did make me smile.

Which car is more fun at the track??

It is a close toss up...the MINI is fun, but not fast, since it is not super charged, so getting out of the corners and the straight sections are kinda slow, but the braking and corners are a blast....the OBXT is a rocket and handles corners really well, but the brakes are teh suck. I think with better brakes, the subie would be much more fun, but the MINI gives you so much character on the track, and I have my racing harness in there, so that makes it tossable, but I stay put.

Overall, I think the MINI is more fun, cuz it is meant for that kind of driving, and i have a lot invested into it for track only purposes, tires, suspension, brakes, etc....but the power of the subie was amazing and mind blowing to others at the track.

We went on a drive to the mountains yesterday for my b-day - after much consideration, we took the Mini. Even with Spec B suspension, AP, and wheels on the LGT, the stock MCS (with only Goodyear F1's and Dinan airbox) is more fun on the road.

I am sure it would be....If I had the S, it still would not be as fast as my OBXT, but that would help the fun factor over the standard Cooper. Even with my mods on the cooper, I bet I am only getting about 115hp to the front wheels. :(

BTW...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

:D

I asked for a Mini of my own, since I rarely get to drive Margie's. Of course that didn't happen, though I got a Bose SoundDock for my iPod. :cool:

<----- wishes for an LSD equipped MCS to turn into a track whore :lol:

I am so jealous Jon! I'm green with envy. :D

Must have been a real blast to beat those other cars. If we could only see their faces; "Was that an Outback? A SUBARU OUTBACK?

Yeah, they all blew off the car as just a "visitor" car at first, then as I was on the track first think, it caught a few heads...some people started to mingle around the car....then later, as I spanked the 2.7T 6 speed allroad with suspension mods and performance tires, a few more heads turned. Finally was the S4 6 speed that I stuck behind for a bunch of laps...finally was allowed to pass on the front stretch, and from there on, my distance between me and him GREW!!!! When Jonathan, the owner of the S4, came over to me, he was "impressed", and stated that he could not believe that I was that close to him the entire way...and he has a brake upgrade with high temp pads that resist fade....

I can not wait to get the brake upgrade done and then see what types of times I can do.

One of the instructors, Mark Bradley, he is a course instructor for ACNA and SCCA....has over 8000 laps out there, or something like that, well, he took it for a few laps so I could take my own pics. He was very impressed with the power and the turn in, very impressed. He then stressed that the weak point was the braking....DUH :D Anyway, the point of this is that he runs Audi, Porsche, and a wicked fast MINI Cooper S that is full on race, including a roll cage in his Porsche and MINI...and he was IMPRESSED with what the outback could do.

The other STis that were out there did very well, their suspension stock leaves something to be desired, there was a lot of roll, but for those that had sways and other springs, but stock dampers, they had much more control and way faster times. Those are great track cars, and with the right tires, they are monsters.

...then later, as I spanked the 2.7T 6 speed allroad with suspension mods and performance tires, a few more heads turned...

Although the Allroad is a high-quality car, with a stout motor, it weighs a whopping 4200 pounds. Meaning it weighs 800 pounds more than your Outback, with no more power. I would hope you could run circles around it.

The turbo V6 S4 is much closer in weight to your car, at "only" 3600 pounds for the sedan model.

That's one of my favorite things about the BL/BP model Legacies -- for good-sized cars, they're quite light! The power-to-weight of any turbo model is really hard to beat for the money, especially if you're looking at other wagon models.

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

thanks Dan...

As for the allroad, the brakes are the only thing that gave it an advantage over mine. I sold my allroad to get my outback, and the braking differences between the car are AMAZING, despite the heavy weight of the Audi, it stops MUCH better than the outback. Remember, the outback has much smaller brakes than the legacy. I only wish we had the same brakes as the legacy, that would have helped a lot.

You should have seen the things I did to the allroad...i took it on ALL-roads. Not very many people do that either, it was sold with scratches from trees and branches alongside the narrow jeep trails.

Archived