LegacyGT.com

KS Tech heat shield install problems...

d_jamont

Gents,

Just got a new KSTech Intake from a member, and installed it in my 05 Outback XT.

The intake fit nicely, but the heatshield was out of sorts. The shield was brand-new, but does not seem to fit the fenderwell hole at all, given that there are rubber gaskets on it's edge that are supposed to fit against in bodywork inside the engine bay.

Has anyone else had this issue with the KSTech heat shield? It's fairly important, because it holds the intake steady as you drive, and the filter does not fit properly into the shield right now?

Pointers? Is the Outback XT's intake "hole" a different size/shape compared to the LGT's?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Don

Well, I managed to get the intake to fit, but the shield still has at least a one inch gap at the front side and back side, where the rubber gaskets are located. Not sure why there is such a fitment issue. The intake will now be drawing some air from the engine bay... not the preferred situation.

The other big obstruction was a bit of the body structure inside the fender well, as it was hitting the AEM filter. So now the new filter has a few bruises on the metal filter mesh. Crap.

MAybe I may take it to a local shop to get them to fab me a similar piece, but one that fits exactly.

I've sent pics off the KSTech, and Matt from KSTech has taken an interest in getting it rectified. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Maybe the shield was designed to not touch the fenderwell structure, even though it has rubber gaskets, and has the profile to fit perfectly against it.... we'll see.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Archived