LegacyGT.com

Wheel stud breaks AGAIN!

rob

Some of you might remember this fun story from last year;

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5-sheared-studs-and-wheel-falls-off-141388.html

Yesterday, while preparing for the SAME trip back to Montana, I was finishing up a front brake job and had to remove the rear wheels for bleeding. Low and behold, one of the wheel studs snaps and comes off with the lug nut with *minimal* torque! :eek::spin:

Compared to last time, this is on the opposite side that failed. After the accident I replaced ALL of my studs with the fear that some tire monkey and his impact gun were to blame the first time around. I can tell you this time, that stud which is less than a year old, NEVER was over torqued or touched by anyone but me. It had only seen about 4 on/off cycles with the winter wheels and that's it.

After reading other accounts of similar failures on the Outback forum, I am starting to believe that these are defective parts. I am not sure what my next move is, but needless to say my wife is not comfortable with the family using this car anymore. I am not thrilled to say the least.

-Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

ARP Product Image

Wheel Stud Kit

Subaru WRX

Kit #: 100-7716

Specifications

Knurl Diameter 0.565˝

UHL 3.000˝

Knurl Length 0.270˝

Nose Length 0.350˝

Diameter - Pitch M12 x 1.25

Would these be the right ones???

This is solidly in the operator error category. Now we just need to figure out what your doing wrong. :redface:

I've never seen a stud break from over torque. It would take a few thousand LBS to break it.

My lugs always get torqued to ~90 with antiseeze.

Subaru wheels studs break quite easily. I had tyre shops cross thread 3 on my car, all standard studs, broke all of them unscrewing the nut. A Subaru service centre cross threaded one aftermarket replacement stud, it didn't break (but the thread was gone). I got a handful of Subaru studs from partsouq, ($1 each), in case more break, but I should've got aftermarket.

I had no breakage from my Nissan ones, some of them 25+ years old.

Use anti-seize, spin the nuts on by hand and torque them with a torque wrench.

Archived