LegacyGT.com

Legacy 2009 Caska multimedia system installation.

AlexShu

Funny thing, I have a JDM 3.0 specB, and want to have European maps and GPS. Hmmm..... Maybe I should pay this CASKA rep in Germany a visit?

Or if someone has a EDM (UK preferred) head unit they are selling....?

I think you need a right hand drive unit for it to fit correctly in the dash. There is a Caska of UK. I would try them. I had seen some gx-204RE units on ebay over the past few months so they do exist. Otherwise try googling around. Try this...

http://www.caska.co.uk/store/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Julianfast, sorry for my last answer I was away. I can see that you managed to install it :) , in my case I didn't use any wiring harness (I have the german version), but I am not sure about the NAVI software, it looks cracked missing files, non updated maps and the italian voice files give errors which crash the system. I still have to modify the power source to provide the power from the battery directly (I also forgot to connect the IPOD cable :(

Good stuff Julian, Im still trying source a damn Caska unit, I'd prefer a Euro one as they are the Black trim and have the newer interface.. For such a large OEM style manufacturer it sure is damn hard getting hold of anyone that knows anything and speaks english.

It's equally hard finding a place to purchase it from. The UK outfit was useless they dont know anything about the CA3606G unit as they order them from China, they dont even know what trim colour they will get.

Anyone here know anyone in Hungary? Would like to source their CA3606 Unit as it will aslo have the new Euro interface.. http://www.caskamultimedia.com

Julianfast, sorry for my last answer I was away. I can see that you managed to install it :) , in my case I didn't use any wiring harness (I have the german version), but I am not sure about the NAVI software, it looks cracked missing files, non updated maps and the italian voice files give errors which crash the system. I still have to modify the power source to provide the power from the battery directly (I also forgot to connect the IPOD cable :(

I can send you my config files. Send me a PM if you want them. I'm not sure what you mean about modifying the power source. It just plugged in for me. The only wiring work I had to do was for the HVAC controls. Please explain.

Good stuff Julian, Im still trying source a damn Caska unit, I'd prefer a Euro one as they are the Black trim and have the newer interface.. For such a large OEM style manufacturer it sure is damn hard getting hold of anyone that knows anything and speaks english.

It's equally hard finding a place to purchase it from. The UK outfit was useless they dont know anything about the CA3606G unit as they order them from China, they dont even know what trim colour they will get.

Anyone here know anyone in Hungary? Would like to source their CA3606 Unit as it will aslo have the new Euro interface.. http://www.caskamultimedia.com

Jabz,

Don't you have a Japan import legacy with right hand drive? Because the angle of the dash center console is different, I think you will have a hard time getting it to fit into the dash. Do you have a solution for this? You could just

get the double DIN adapter kit made for your car and put in any after market system you wanted. You could even get the generic Caska one if you wanted that for some reason. If you haven't checked this thread out, it's probably worth your time.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-dual-hvac-double-din-jdm-kit-thread-113589.html

Good Luck,

Julian

I can send you my config files. Send me a PM if you want them. I'm not sure what you mean about modifying the power source. It just plugged in for me. The only wiring work I had to do was for the HVAC controls. Please explain.

I wanted to hook the system directly to the battery, I would like to use it even if the car is off. Concerning the Navi under settings try to start the wizard and see if you could pick the italian language, the system complained about missing file big_flag_ita.bmp. BTW I wrote the guys in Germany caska europe but they didn't answer so far.

regards

Harake

Do you see other files named "big_flag_xxx.bmp" for other counries? You could copy one to be the missing file.

I already added the missing file, at least 3 voice files work mow and I deleted the rest. The problem is not to make it working, is it normal to make such modification unless this programm is cracked? BTW any tried to update the maps?

Did you see my post earlier about what I was told by the Hungarian Caska dealer?

If you're in Europe you should be able to get one from them but they won't sell to the US.

Julian - I missed the fact that you were able to source a HU from Europe to get the climate controls. Excellent work!

As to your question on if we'd be willing to pay to have you do some of these. I might but $1700 is steep. I'd be willing to go as high as $1200 but even that would be pushing it.

There are threads about painting your shifter surround to match. The black looks really sharp as you've found so it would definitely be worth the effort. I believe the process is to remove the surround, get the shift boot off then sand, primer, paint (use at least 2 coats I would think) and then clear coat (using a matte clear).

Check out the Highline CA thread. I think that's where I read about folks doing this.

Cheers!

I already added the missing file, at least 3 voice files work mow and I deleted the rest. The problem is not to make it working, is it normal to make such modification unless this programm is cracked? BTW any tried to update the maps?

I have not tried updating the map. However the company is Sygic and they have a web site where you can get updates. I don't know if you download it or they send you a hard copy. It sounds like yours is a cracked vesion if it is missing files. My software worked but was not configured correctly to work with the Caska GPS interface. It sounds like everyone who is buying these is getting sent suspicious copies of the nav software from their dealer.

Do you have the CA3606 for the Subaru or are you a Mazda guy. If you have the CA3606, I'd be happy to share my config files with you. If your nav software is really cracked I suggest getting an official one from Sygic. It think it's about $70 USD.

I have not tried updating the map. However the company is Sygic and they have a web site where you can get updates. I don't know if you download it or they send you a hard copy. It sounds like yours is a cracked vesion if it is missing files. My software worked but was not configured correctly to work with the Caska GPS interface. It sounds like everyone who is buying these is getting sent suspicious copies of the nav software from their dealer.

Do you have the CA3606 for the Subaru or are you a Mazda guy. If you have the CA3606, I'd be happy to share my config files with you. If your nav software is really cracked I suggest getting an official one from Sygic. It think it's about $70 USD.

I have the CA3606 for the Subaru, I am looking to buy the official version from Sygic, they sent me the IGO version, I would be happy to get the config file, please send it to 7arake@gmail.com thanks

regards

harake

Hussein

Harake,

Sorry, I may have lead you down the wrong path. I thought IGO was made by the company Sygic. They are different products entirely. A quick google search for Caska and IGO and Caska and Sygic suggests that the Caska can use either software.

I have the IGO Primo software for my system. I have no file named BIG*.bmp, but maybe that is for the Sygic software. I sent you a couple of my config files. I you have IGO they may work. I don't think I can be of much help if you have Sygic.

You could try this Caska dealer in the Netherlands. Based on their website, they seem to sell their's with Sygic.

http://www.caska.com/news/sygic-new-navigation-software-special-for-the-caska-europe-units-/

Good Luck,

Julian

Gonskiian wrote:

"As to your question on if we'd be willing to pay to have you do some of these. I might but $1700 is steep. I'd be willing to go as high as $1200 but even that would be pushing it."

Yeah, the $1700 is pretty steep and much more than I anticipated spending on what was at the time a shot in the dark. I've been living with it now for a couple of weeks, and although it's got it's quirks, I feel it's a good option to buying the JDM double DIN kit and then buying a double din nav system. The main advantage to the Caska is you get a larger screen and it actually fits with the HVAC controls on the correct side. Plus, it looks better because it is designed for the dash. Of course, the Caska is still a big unkown and if you spent $400 on the JDM kit you would have $1300 for the nav system. That would get you a very nice system. Ah, the trade offs...

Anyway, I think think about the best I could do is $1500 with a 1 yr warranty. I'm not sure I could quite do that either. Even, then it's barely worth the time from a business point of view. The problem is the GX-204LE is so expensive. You would think a junked OEM radio wouldn't be so expensive. Mine runs $100, so I'm keeping it in case the Caska dies. Plus, if I have to park my car at the airport for a week, I might just swap it out. If someone steals my car, I know I can buy another old Legacy...if someone steals my Caska...not so sure :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Julian do you remember what side the ribbon cable connecting the HVAC to the Radio is on your unit? On my Factory unit it is on the right when you are facing the front of the GX-204JE.

I guess only couple of things stand in the way of it fitting correctly if I manage to get one. The hazard switch location has a piece of plastic needing to be cut out. And the actual Hazard switch itself since mine is JDM.

I know I can go and get the japan parts bezel and use any aftermarket stereo, but I am keen on this unit because of it's factory look. However it's availability situation is beyond shite.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I ordered from the German guy against advice :) It seems he was more upfront this time around, Black Colour, Euro maps etc..

It got delivered yesterday and I have been tinkering with it. Loaded some NZ maps onto the SDCard. It runs iGO.

As you can see I have managed to get into the WINCE portion of it, via the NAV program. I have loaded WolfNCU on the SDCard to assist with this, great program btw.

It appears the WINCE portion is running from ROM, so any new folders etc aren't saved on restart (this is a good thing incase you screw it up), so if you require installing programs or changes then they must be made on the SDCard.

There is NAND storage 21MB, which doesn't seem to have anything in it.

CPU - Telechips ARM926-TCC79X

Memory- Looks like about ~128MB Ram

OS WINCE 5.00 (Build 1400)

As you can see there is potential to run a lot of programs through Wince 5.

However there is only 1 USB host port.

I think the startup program (radio/TV/AV etc) maybe another program, I am unsure if these are being run by Wince. Since while WINCE is loaded the Radio still works.

If you switch to the Radio interface, then back to the Nav your Wince session will remain with what ever program you were running previously.

Well that's all I've explored so far.. More to come..

1925740226_photo(7).thumb.jpg.e38feaf046a1c58ba167315ce0ad8333.jpg

2131075259_photo(8).thumb.jpg.5cdd8a2af64a7850cca389816fdc2309.jpg

Great news Jabz. Sounds like you got much, much better service from Mr. Frank than I did. How long did it take to get it after you ordered?

I'm still happy with mine after using it every day for several months. Some of the quirks are annoying, but I love all the functionality.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, i just register on this forum looking for help on a problem i have. I'm also de the owner of a Caska unit CA3606, although i have it on a Mazda CX-7. i have it for a little more than 2 years and the car radio works fine. i can give you some details with my experience on it (seller, unit, features, etc.) but i don't bore you unless you want to hear them.

i need some help with my GPS; to put it a short story, at a party my wife forgot her camera SD card, so i told her to take the one from the car (i was talking the one with music and videos, since my car has two slots GPS and multimedia), but i never realize she was going to take the GPS one. So she formated to get room on it, and use it.

so you can imagine what happened.

i remember i made a backup but i can find it so not sure where i put it.

my problem is that after a month looking for a GPS software i haven't been able to get one that runs on the system, at first it sent an error message with maplaunch.ini missing, i managed to add it, but the software is not loading; so not sure if the maplaunch is wrong or the IGO software is not the correct version or what.

i would appreciate any help on this.

and i apologize for getting into a legacy forum but couldn't find anything on the mazda's

thanks

Jaime

Anyone found a good way to scroll up and down the radio frequencies? Hitting the buttons on the right side of the radio just goes to the next preset and the soft button just goes up by .10 frequency. Hitting the scan or is it the seek button seem to wipe out my presets.

Also, anyone figured out how to get the TV working? Yes, I want to watch the TV while I drive! Actually, it's to entertain the kids while we are waiting for the wife to grab something in the grocery store.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived