LegacyGT.com

99 2.5GT Throttle Response

I just picked up a 99 2.5GT LE M/T. There are a few things that I want to have checked out on it whenever I can get the money to bring it into a dealer, but the biggest thing that I'd like to see improve is the throttle response. Sometimes it's alright, but every once in a while, when I blip the throttle to downshift, it revs up a lot less than I would expect it to. Am I right in assuming that this model would have had throttle by wire? If so, I'm guessing I'm out of luck, but I'm just hoping there's something that can be done.

If it makes a difference, the ECU is throwing a code about the catalytic converter not performing at peak efficiency. I suppose it could be related, either if my cat is clogged or if I'm running in some sort of "safe mode" because of the code...

Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks!

"Throttle by wire" being an electronically servo'd throttle, and not a cable operated throttle, was not available on Legacys through '04, and I'm not sure about '05. Yours has a cable.

My take? Either your converter is wonked or your rear O2 sensor is toast. Trick is, if your throttle response situation isn't constant, I'd be surprised if the problem was something that would be more constant, like a converter blockage. I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

Well, I'm glad to hear that I've got a cable. Hooray for direct mechanical connection! :)

Hmm, if it helps, it seems to have to crank over a few more times in the morning than it should... Also, sometimes it Idles quite high and other times quite low, 1500 at highest and 500 or so at lowest. What's the standard idle speed for this engine? Most of the time it hangs out around 500. I noticed, though, that if it drops that low, the throttle response is almost nonexistant. It happened today actually... I misshifted and the engine dropped to idle. I went to rev it back up to shift into gear and nothing happened when I hit the gas the first time. I had to hit it twice to rev it up.

I'm going to take it into the shop as soon as I can afford it, but I don't see that being in the cards anytime soon. Also, the previous owner is getting me a copy of the maintenance records. Maybe that'll help a bit.

When does it idle high? My Legacy idles at 1500+ when the enigine is cold. That is too high for normal driving, but not for warming up idle. And...what is the "tick mark" that you tach shows? The lowest that it reads is 500.

Ahh, good point. Yes, it idles high in the morning... I should have thought of that. I'll have to see where that tick mark is... I think it's about halfway between the lowest possible reading and 1k. That's why I was thinking 500.

Archived