LegacyGT.com

1990 2.2 legacy starts fine but dies routinely

oztim

Background - I have had fault codes for O2 sensor, Canister purge valve, MAF sensor and knock sensor. I have also read that my problem could be from sticky valves - would like any input you all may have.

Problem is the car will start fine run fine for a while then will die or stutter some (if I pump accelerator peddle) then die. It will start right back up again and maybe run or maybe just die again. This can go on constantly or it might run fine for awhile before doing it again. A sour smell (not a raw gas smell or typical exhaust smell but a foul unusual smell). I have cleaned the MAF sensor w/ CRC MAF cleaner but have not repalaced other items showing up on fault codes - don't want to start replacing (money tight right now) until I can pin point what is wrong. It seems to be related to the ECU or electronics but what I read about sticky valves on late model legacys also makes some sense. Supposedly I did have some stuck valves on the left hand head after the car had been parked for 6-months but I don't know for sure since when I got back I checked valves (valve cover off and could depress valves by hand) and strted the car up and drove it for a couple months before this problem started occurring.

Sorry for the long winded post but figured I should get all I know into it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 2 years later...

Hello;

First thing to check is all electrical connections, and clean including the battery and grounds. Check the ECU relay, fuel pump relay, and ignition switch. Also check the fuel pump pressure. Read my posts, Putting the Wagon on the Road in the first generation section and see what I had to do. If you go to the only sticky we have for first gen, click on notes & tips then Tech Articles, you will see a copy of a FSM. Download this, Steven.

Archived