LegacyGT.com

1995 Subaru Legacy L - RPM drops

Nanoen

Hi everybody,

This is my first post here, I'm new, and had a few questions about my Legacy. I have a 1995 Legacy L. I had done some research into my specific issue and thought I had fixed it by cleaning out my IAC Valve, but it did not.

So my previous issue was:

Random RPM drops - to about less then 500 RPM - if I gas it kicks back up

Random car stalls - always starts right bak up

Horrible gas milage

This started a year or so ago and has gotten worse. My Check engine light comes on every month or so and goes away after my car sits for the night. My gas milage went from 325ish a tank to more like 260ish a tank. Any ideas on what I could do for this?

After I cleaned the IAC Valve it hasnt died, been about 3 days, but still getting RPM drops.

I was thinking it may be the MAF sensor or the Fuel Pump. I maintain this car great. Oil changes, spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, drain transmission every few months. Well mostly just the oil changes every few months. The others are every 6-8 months. It runs fine, a little rough sometimes, but it has 201,00 miles on it. Just want to fix this silly RPM drops and get better gas milage.

Thanks for any helps guys, I am pretty good with my Subaru's this is my 3rd Subaru I have owned and understand the Sohc and Dohc 2.2 and 2.5 L boxer engines. Be well.

-Matt-

Do a leak test for gaskets around the manifold, bad PCV valve and any cracked or loose hoses.

I'm not sure if you have hydraulic lifters or if it's mechanical, but if they are mechanical it may be a good idea to check the valve clearance too.

Also check any MAP sensor, if one is broken or the vacuum hose is bad you will also get bad figures, same thing with the TPS.

453747.png

Ehsnils,

Thanks for the advice. I will check out old hoses and the PCV valve.

What is the leak test you speak of? I will try this, but do have have a guide or any info that you can pass on so I can try this out?

Thanks again.

-Matt-

Archived