LegacyGT.com

i keep over heating and i have burped the car for two weeks

I have a 96 subaru legacy l wagon i have recently changed the head gaskets and did the cooling system but now i keep over heating but only when i drive and go about 5 miles it is the 2.2l engine the only things not new in the cooling system are the water pump and the heater core the lower rad hose will heat up when the car is in park but when she over heats driving the lower hose is cold when i pull over does any one have a clue to what it could be im about to change the water pump but want to make sure before buying the part because this is getting expensive.

thank you

yea i changed everything but the water pump and the heater core i am going to take a five gas analyzer to the radiator tomorrow evening but anything you can think of it would be great i am at a complete lost right now and need to get my car running as im a student away from home right now and need my car.

you can rev the motor in idle it wont over heat but put in drive and go it will over heat after about five miles when it has reched operating temp i parked today and kept it running and it started to cool down so i am really confused and lost

thank you

What T stat did you use? Subarus seem to dislike other than oem at times.

Sounds like one of 3 possibilities.

1) There is still air in the system

2) The T stat is not opening

3) The water pump is failing.

If you can, elevate the front of the car, let idle and open the bleeder screw a few turns.

Keep track of temp. After about 20 mins, close the bleeder screw before you turn car off.

monitor the reservoir to see if its pulling in coolant.

Still overheating, you'll have to drain system to get t stat out. Make hot water, put in glass and drop t stat in it. See if it opens. If it does t stat is operating properly. But I would still replace with an oem unit. Refill and reburp.

If it continues your water pump is failing. Replace. Get a new unit from reputable source, not rebuilt.

O.

• 4 weeks later...
thanks i did check the head gaskets and replaced them everything is new in the cooling system except the heater core there is a lot of air in the system but when it over heats its only when you drive and pushes back into the over flow and from there the thermostat wont open when driving but when its in idle it opens so now im so confused and need to get this car working as i have to move with in the next two weeks i really need your guys input or if your near mooresville NC i can show you what it is doing please help me here guys

When you "burped" the system, was the heater on ?

This allows any air trapped there to get out.

If you let the car idle for 20 mins, does it overheat?

Water pump about $60 plus the time, for it's the same as a T belt procedure.

No leaks dripping anywhere? Do you smell coolant?

If yours is not obviously leaking, sounds more and more like a pump.

O.

Archived