LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

Yes, that link is long story about my experements with 4EAT/5EAT Subaru from 98+ to last VB.

That "increases the fluid flow" is very close. But this VB have line solenoids with feedback and simple orifice drilling in separator plate to line of pistons friction clutches does not bring happiness (i checked it)). I had to dig deeper, change the control valve feedback to quickly increase pressure + move point of shift to the border of fall torque (when ECU rolls back the angle of ignition timing and little closes the throttle). In sum, with the throttle open, shifting is fast with a small jerk.

p.s. Sorry for my english.)

Edited by B@tman

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Slightly to 7400. Stock is 7000.

NOt USDM which around 6K or 6.5

so how you raise the shifting point to 7400, as my 5eat shifts at 7000 even if i raised the limiter in the ROM

i have also JDM gt VF48 turbo water meth injection

• 1 month later...

Just installed one of @%1; valve bodies on my 09 5eat and it is awesome. Shifts are less than half the speed and feel much more confirmed. Currently running flexfuel on a gtx3071 TS and it feels much better than the mushy stock engagement. I know it’s an old thread but just wanted to put it out in the open that there is an option for 08-09 folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just installed one of @%1; valve bodies on my 09 5eat and it is awesome. Shifts are less than half the speed and feel much more confirmed. Currently running flexfuel on a gtx3071 TS and it feels much better than the mushy stock engagement. I know it’s an old thread but just wanted to put it out in the open that there is an option for 08-09 folks!

I must have missed this post, there's finally a vb for 08-09 for real?

So @lvkeith where and how did you get batman's valve mod? As eldrego mentioned, he has very few post on this site, and no links to his product.

• 3 weeks later...

If needed, you can find my ads on ebay for 4EAT and 5EAT all gen VB [fast shift valve body].

I found a solution for the second gen of 5EAT [all TG5D*] three years ago. Already made a lot of VB, all work stably, quickly and without problems.

Recently, I post news and videos from car owners with my VB on instagram "bat_transmission".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

New here and I've got some questions that I'm hoping someone can answer. I've been googling for days and can't seem to get the answers I'm looking for. I recently bought an 08LGT, and it ran perfectly fine until i got it home. Now it's my huge headache. I'm getting a P0705 (transmission range sensor) code and the car is undrivable at this point. Aside from the other issues (exhaust leak and i think the rear gearbox is shot), I'm trying to figure out what i need to fix this code. I've read that this is due to some kind of sensor, but when i try to find this part, it looks like it's something on the outside of the transmission, though I've also read that it's internal to the 5EAT. I can't find anything telling me what kind of transmission is on this car. Is it the 5EAT? If so, it sounds likely that I'll need to replace the valve body in the transmission. The part on subaruparts.com (Automatic Transmission Gear Position Sensor - Subaru (31918AA000) says it's compatible with my car, but says it's a 4 speed auto transmission.... I'm super confused here. Can someone please shed some light for me?

It's going to be a 5EAT transmission.

The internal sensor you mention is likely the Turbine 2 sensor, which is located on the valve body inside the transmission. That sensor is not related to the code you have.

I searched the part number you posted and saw some info for vehicle fitment that might help ease your mind a bit. See the description and the link below...

VEHICLE FITMENT

Make Body & Trim Engine & Transmission

2009 Subaru Legacy 2.5i, 2.5i Limited, 2.5i Special Edition, 3.0 R, 3.0 R Limited, GT Limited, GT spec.B 2.5L H4 - Gas, 3.0L H6 - Gas

https://www.subaruwarehousedirect.com/oem-parts/subaru-automatic-transmission-gear-position-sensor-31918aa000

If you end up replacing the valve body, I have interest in your old one.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably on here already, but Hexmods has a great tutorial with lots of pics for installation of this good kit, but as far as I have researched is only for limited years of the 5EAT.

Hope the link to this product is o.k. with this forum. This product works well, but it is a bit of an install without a lot of diy experience.

https://transgo.com/product-details/subaru-5eat-reprogramming-kit/

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, osu cycling said:

Does anyone have the pdfs originally linked to this thread for ATF & VB installation? I am finally getting around to installing a used HexMods I bought last year, but the links are now broken after the website refresh. Original two filenames below.

2005-2007 5EAT ATF Procedure.pdf 

2005-2007 5EAT Valve Body & Pan Procedure.pdf

Both of those links you posted work for me.  Do they not work for you?

• 4 weeks later...

2005 OBW 3.0. Looking for recommendations on whether I should pursue TCU Memory 2 clear and/or dealer performed relearn based on rough shifts that persist 800 miles after VB install. I've got a VAGCOM cable and FreeSSM.

Background: HexMods VB has been installed along with thermostat and new hoses per ClimberD recommended configuration. ATF is at full mark measured between 170-180 F. Shifting hasn't been as great as I expected, namely occasional hard shifts from 4th or higher into 3rd. There's one hill in particular where the car is guaranteed to shift hard into 3rd around the same spot every time... not talking hard and crisp, but a fairly uncomforting shock. It'll do this sometimes on the freeway at fairly light throttle when it decides to downshift... again, usually associated with a slight incline where I can sense it's trying to hold onto the higher gear but on the verge of downshifting... I feel it could shift to 4th early and do A-OK, but it holds onto 5th for as long as it can. If I have it in manual mode, it copes with downshifts into 3rd just fine... hard shifts are confined to regular D and sport. Overall, reminds me of the shifts that accompany the 5EAT when a MAF sensor needs replaced or cleaning.

Re-learn efforts thus far: Based on recommendations in this thread, I left it to relearn on its own without resetting the TCU after installing the VB, but by now feel it should've resolved any lingering adjustments. Transmission shifted perfectly fine before the HexMod VB install, albeit with 300K miles on the odo. When I took it to the dealer this morning to request they reset the TCU and perform a relearn procedure per section 5AT(diag)-21 of the 2005 FSM (attached), they had the car for 90 minutes and drove it 2 miles... said ATF levels were fine, transmission shifted normal, and that a relearn isn't possible on the 2005 as it's self learning. Don't see how that's the case when the 2005 FSM spells out the procedure using SSM. I don't think they even reset the TCU... perhaps that's why they ultimately didn't charge me.

But it got me wondering... is a dealer relearn for the 2005-06 just resetting the TCU and driving it on level ground at specified throttle levels (12.5%) while it shifts on its own... which I could do easy enough at home, or do they put it on the lift with wheels off ground and command shifts in a manner using SSM that I can't do on my own?

5eat-Learning Control.pdf

The problem is SSM.  Hitachi has updated the tool and protocol since 2005.  The new tools no longer supports your protocol.  Subaru no longer supports your protocol.  The dealer can offer no support unless they kept an old tool around as a keepsake.  There were maybe a handful of independant shops that forked over the $7000 plus Hitachi wanted for the SSM2 tool when it was available. Subaru would not sell them to independants.  

The breakneck shifts are what some wanted/expected from the VB mod.  It was not intended for 3.0s or unmodified LGTs in its original inception. It was a performance mod for cars making more power.  To make/hold a shift at higher power levels higher pressures must be held.

Edited by m sprank
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, m sprank said:

The breakneck shifts are what some wanted/expected from the VB mod.  

I understood the F1 should shift as a normal VB would at regular throttle, but be crisper and faster at high throttle. I'm getting the occasional hard downshift in what I'd describe as normal driving. Video example linked below... more of a hard thud than crisp in my view, can't imagine it's good for the driveline or differentials. Is this really what people were after?

F1 VB hard downshift, 4th to 3rd

Once again, all was developed and intended for a LGT.  Even if you are driving an OBXT the gearing change from the tires alone could be the cause.   For instance, in an LGT cruising or driving at 1500rpm would be RARE.  The conditions of your vid are not normal driving for an LGT.  So, some relearning or possibly tuning changes could be required.  For a full reset and relearn procedure I am unaware of anyone having the proper tool anymore.  

When you have issues with a modified 15 year old import car (with a small following) you are generally on your own figuring out the quirks of your set up.  Mileage, age obsolescence, etc all become an issue. 

You stepped even further outside the boundaries of normal and experience by modifying a 3.0 OB.  Very little performance experience with the 3.0 OB (or Legacy) as a car.  

Edited by m sprank

To offer as much assistance as possible (online) more info is needed.  You told us it is a 2005 OB 3.0, 5EAT with a modified valve body. 

How many miles on the odometer, how many miles on the transmission, how many miles on the valve body (total, not just modded)? 

Was the fluid replaced or more just added with the valve body?  Was the filter replaced?  How often has the fluid and filter been replaced (service interval)?  Is there an aftermarket oil cooler installed?

Are all four tires the same make/model/size/mileage?  Are the wheels/tires stock sizes, if not what size?

Are there any current and/or stored transmission fault codes?