LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

But it's all speculation until I feel it for myself. I'll take Executor485 for a ride after. If it isn't so good, he will most certainly say so! :lol::)

I'd like to consider myself an impartial party ;) I wont be ashamed to give you feedback either way. Considering I did have a 5EAT at one time as well, I've got a little memory of what it used to be like, and having ridden in your IPT VB and stock VB car I should be able to provide some useful feedback for the rest of the people here as well.

I'm hoping it wont be a waste of your time, and I really do think that you'll be able to offer a fantastic service if... what am I saying... WHEN you get the kinks worked out. :lol:

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Alright I am very busy at work today, but I took a look at the FSM for the 08-09 5eat. In many ways it's a simpler version of the 05-07, a lot of the fun extras were stripped away. For instance, there is no 'Low Coast Brake' (it produces more aggressive engine braking in sport/manual modes in 1st and 2nd for the 05-07 5EATs). I don't really see a need for this brake to exist anyways. The 08 valve body is laid out completely different, but I'm not sure yet whether the actual valves and underlying hydraulic control functionality is different or not. My assumption is that it will end up being very similar to the 05-07s is the ways that matter for modifying it. Hopefully. Once I get the 05-07 crowd served I will need to buy an 08-09 valve body and dissect it exactly how I'm doing now with the 05-07. It is a ton of work to crack the code of these things, but hopefully there will be a big reward at the end of the pipeline.

Side note: I kind of want to buy an 08LGT 5eat and rear diff. longer final drive ratio 3.083 vs 3.272 (or thereabouts). But that will by no means happen anytime soon. I would need an aftermarket TCU and it may just be easier to get taller tires to accomplish lower 5th gear rpms on the highway.

And a special thanks to Frank_ster for basically mentoring me through this reverse-engineering process. His ideas are really good and come from many years of rare experience. And he's also smart enough to have someone else (me) do the R&D so he doesn't have to :lol::)

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

LGT 5eat car year?08

IPT VB mod already performed? No

If I have the money then yes Ill happily that amount

Climber is your looking for a 08 VB, if your up to it I can drive to you one weekend

Aren't you in CA? I've done that drive from CA to Dallas. It was not fun. Half the time was in cactus land, other half battling a nasty cross-wind. Besides I would need the VB for a lot longer than a day or two, at least for R&D. Thanks for the offer though. You 08 guys will have your day!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Aren't you in CA? I've done that drive from CA to Dallas. It was not fun. Half the time was in cactus land, other half battling a nasty cross-wind. Besides I would need the VB for a lot longer than a day or two, at least for R&D. Thanks for the offer though. You 08 guys will have your day!

eh I dont mind road trips I drove from CA to CO and to Vegas straight. No breaks except for gas:lol: Didnt have cross-winds but this was in nov.

Its up in the air if you cant find someone Ill be happy to come down and stay for a few days, Im sure I can figure something out if the time comes. Im sure theres people a lot closer to you...

Thanks for doing this VB stuff ClimberD!!

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

My pleasure, I'm way more excited about my work on the VBs than anything else right now. Eventually for the 08s I will try to find a local to bribe with a discount in exchange for testing on his car, AFTER I've already had a stripped down 08 VB to analyze and mess with. Worst comes to worse, I'll ship you a modified 08 VB and you can tell me if it is awesome or not. But that would be unlikely once we do finally get on to the 08s. The more I think about it, the more I want to buy an 08 trans and rear diff. But one thing at a time. We're already talking 6 moves ahead. Yay for chess.

LGT 5eat car year? 05 06 07 08 09

IPT VB mod already performed? Yes or No

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself? YES!!!

so you can do the ipt mod but are you ready to start the transgo mod if so then that is what i want?

Edited by stikiller

i want to say climberD bavo man!! bavo!! i admire your persistance for a better solution and answer and your curiosity. I know you said you do not accept donations...but for this work and all the effort that your are putting into this mod and time you are sacrificing you really should accept somethin!! i have never donated in my life but for this i would!!!

accept pre-payment from those that want to donate... ie if someone donates to you, you will take it off their order, if this doesn't happen, which I doubt, no repayment of funds...you just donated for his time..

Wow. Great thread, and excellent work/investigation, climberd.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I am one the sheep slaughtered by IPT- my 05 does shift quicker than before, and is holding fine for now.

If this works out like I think it will, and I get my turbo sorted, I may have to change my mind about sticking with stock fueling, esp since E85 is available closeby now...

Thank you.

At any rate, if you do decide you want some trans work done by me, we'll just put your car on ramps, zip off the pan and VB, drink a couple sodas as we modify it, and put it back. Unlike last time you came by, I might have to charge you a little for the physical uninstall/reinstall because I just don't have the free time I use to, but nothing as crazy as regular shop prices.

this will be on my radar. I've got a kid coming in 2 months, so we'll see if i can find time.

Last time, you paid me...with your wife's spanish rice....heheh. but yes, you definitely deserve payment for all your work.

• Mega Users

OBXT 5eat car year? 05 06 07 08 09

IPT VB mod already performed? Yes or No

Are you willing to pay close to but less than IPT prices (perhaps again) for a proper shift kit modification performed by fellow 5eat performance enthusiast ClimberD himself? Hell YES!!!

Like everyone else who has tried to research IPT and come up with no info, I'm extremely grateful that you have gone through this trouble. Great work. It's great to know how this compares to the transgo kit that is a fraction of the price.

It would be perfect if you could get a floater or two so we can have zero down time for install and send you a core.

I thought you were concentrating on a standalone controller for the 5eat. Is that on hold now with this project going on?

Subscribed. I have a stock 08 VB and I need this mod... (transgo)

Any chance once this is finalized, I could pay for plans? I'd love to get this done locally so I don't have to have my car off the road for a week+

Edited by ean611

I just spoke with TransGo. They took my number and will hopefully call when they have more of the Legacy GT shift kit together. The issue is that they're working on an OEM transmission issue for another party, and they're going to try to get back to our transmission in 3-4 weeks.

The Jatco RE5R05A is almost identical with minor differences, but the big issue is getting instructions so that shops don't break the valve body during the process.

This could probably make the install much easier, since official instructions are coming from Transgo. I'm sure many of us (myself included) would love a service to install the Transgo kit.

Edited by ean611

I got family in the DFW area, told the wife lets go see them (didn't tell the real reason) He. He.:lol:

Why can't "our day" as in "us 08 guys" be today.......? Come on someone, anyone, rapid prototype the R&D....

I just spoke with TransGo. They took my number and will hopefully call when they have more of the Legacy GT shift kit together. The issue is that they're working on an OEM transmission issue for another party, and they're going to try to get back to our transmission in 3-4 weeks.

The Jatco RE5R05A is almost identical with minor differences, but the big issue is getting instructions so that shops don't break the valve body during the process.

This could probably make the install much easier, since official instructions are coming from Transgo. I'm sure many of us (myself included) would love a service to install the Transgo kit.

Same story second verse as before months ago with me...

They actually kind of tick me off...

this will be on my radar. I've got a kid coming in 2 months, so we'll see if i can find time.

Last time, you paid me...with your wife's spanish rice....heheh. but yes, you definitely deserve payment for all your work.

Congratulations! Yeah kids don't pair well with car modifying.

I explicitly bought my wife a puppy so she would leave the kid topic alone, but it's starting to wear off...

It would be perfect if you could get a floater or two so we can have zero down time for install and send you a core.

I thought you were concentrating on a standalone controller for the 5eat. Is that on hold now with this project going on?

The floater opens a huge liability issue. If it's between two individual enthusiasts, then it's on them to ensure quality, and so far it has worked. If I run this as a business, and literally anything bad happens to a floating valve body, then it's all on me, the bad guy. I'm still trying to figure out how to solve that dilemma. Maybe a temporary loaner VB so you swap out your stock one for the temp loaner, and send it to me. Then I modify your stock one and mail it back to you, and you end up installing the same one you started with, only modified. Sure cures the liability aspect, but doubles shipping and hassle... Still thinking about it...

I have put the standalone TCU project aside for now. No one really wants it, no one want to pay for it, and so it'll just be another personal project of mine at the end of the day.

Only if you buy a lift.;)

I wish :wub:

Subscribed. I have a stock 08 VB and I need this mod... (transgo)

Any chance once this is finalized, I could pay for plans? I'd love to get this done locally so I don't have to have my car off the road for a week+

Perhaps things will go that direction one day. I don't know yet. First I need to take apart an 08 VB and find out what all the commotion is about. Looking from the outside, the 08 appears to be a lot simpler than the 05-07. The 05-07 is 5 layers high. Hydraulic passageways weave up and down and left and right and split and merge and go off into the transmission and come back... it is literally my hell to reverse engineer it. I worked on it for hours last night. The 350Z and 08+ LGT appear to be a far simpler 3 layer design, so I'm actually looking forward to getting into the 08 project.

i guess JDM 5EAT shouldn't be a problem?

Shouldn't be. Would be ideal if you could look up the part number for your valve body, and send it to me. I can compare it to the USDM part number to confirm.

Certainly. If they do enter the LGT market, I'm partially out a job on those specific model years, but such is the nature of competition. Actually I would still be able to install kits on those model years for which they release a specialized kit, as many shops charge a lot to do the install. Either way I am beholden to whatever niche doesn't have a TransGo solution. In those instances, I will still be making the TransGo kit work, so despite whatever TransGo does or does not release for sale, TransGo kits should still be available to all of you eventually, whether through TransGo vendors or myself.

Why can't "our day" as in "us 08 guys" be today.......? Come on someone, anyone, rapid prototype the R&D....

If I had an 08 instead of an 05 then your day would be today. But I've got to do one thing at a time :)

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods