LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

• Mega Users
We did this once for a customer. Tranny went boom shortly after we made the map change. Because of this, we do not recommend it.

You are saying that it is harmful? I don't see how it can be. Wasn't that customer getting tuned for a 20G?

Not trying to start an argument, just saying that one case of a big turbo wrecking an already beaten on 5eat really doesn't point to that.

Having said that, it doesn't appear do enough to fix the slow shifting problems that wear out the transmission and it gets learned away pretty quickly.

I'm not quite sure how it could kill the tranny. Essentially you are telling the ecu that your foot is pushed down further than it is (ever floor it and let off quickly before it finishes shifting and have it jerk?)

Obv this value should be tuned within reason, you dont want stiff shifts for daily driving and light throttle.

I dont recommend going house on your tranny once this is done, its still brittle, lol

• Mega Users

Obv this value should be tuned within reason, you dont want stiff shifts for daily driving and light throttle.

I dont recommend going house on your tranny once this is done, its still brittle, lol

You can't go over 408 rt or you get less throttle. It will limit the max throttle to whatever plate angle coincides with 408 on the map. It doesn't have enough of an effect to give harsh shifting though.

You can't go over 408 rt or you get less throttle. It will limit the max throttle to whatever plate angle coincides with 408 on the map. It doesn't have enough of an effect to give harsh shifting though.

Interesante, i will have to pull my map and review what was put in....it seems like the torque converter is locked up more often, especially cruisin on/off the throttle.

It was probably ClimberD, LOL. We only did it once. When he had issues, we never revisited it. Cant blow mine up (again) the wife DD it, LOL.

I had damaged my clutch packs when stage 2, young and dumb. Then I drove it around on a safe map for a long time, since I read about stage 2 killing things, got freaked out, etc. So anyways, much later finally put on the 20G and had infamous tune it. WOT showed the weakness. I tried it with and without the requested torque map. We really don't know much about that piece of the puzzle, so I say be very critical of it. When in doubt, stay stock stay happy. It's your own car to do what you want, but understand when you change things, you are inviting things to go wrong. Part of the risk of building up a fast car.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I had my tuner rescale mine. He chose 400 as the max value, up from 320. In my obviously non-biased opinion it has made a small difference.

Actually, one thing I did notice for sure was that after the tuning session, and after autocrossing the next day, I didn't have to deal with the usual hammer-shifting until the TCU re-learned my DD routine. Coincidence? Who's to say?

Trans slipping fixed :) Was low on fluid. Now it drives great, grabs gears effortlessly.

CLIMBERD TOP TIP: With engine running: When you pull out the dip stick, wipe it off and put it back in the tube all the way, then pull it out again. With my car, there would be a line of fluid on either edge of the flat dipstick. After maybe 5 seconds, the edges would flow together into the middle of the dipstick, giving the appearance that the flat part of the dipstick is covered with fluid. So when you pull the dipstick, do so in a well lit area, and assess the level of fluid very quickly to avoid a skewed reading.

Boost leak at header>UP fixed. Boost leak at Manifold>driver-side header is now a little worse. I tightened down the bolts and now I swear more smoke is coming out from the exhaust smoke test :mad: Sucks because 3 gaskets need to be replaced when the header is dropped to replace just one gasket. This is starting to get expensive.

Also confirmed that I have an oil leak between the turbo oil outlet gasket and head. I'm hypothesizing it's not the rubber hose, because I inspected it thoroughly. I'm assuming it's the gasket between CHRA and oil outlet pipe. The gaskets were replaced at Forced Performance, so it could be that the new one wasn't put on right. Or it could still be the oil hose when it expands over the head pipe. Or it could be where the head oil pipe meets the head. I'm not terribly happy about this. 2 more exhaust gaskets to be consumed just to fix a small oil leak.

An old guy following me in a Mercedes today was perturbed by my car smoking in his (actually our) neighborhood.

So basically, I need to pull my whole exhaust minus catback to fix leaks...

Only good news is I found an 83mm MAF intake pipe on NASIOC today. Just need to get a filter for it, already have lots of silicone. Biggest obstacle to E85 is almost solved. Will put a straightener in it if it reads weird :)

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

for whatever it's worth, I think there is a quart difference between low hot and full hot on the dipstick. mine was at low hot, i added a half quart, drove around a few days and checked it again, was at half way between.

There is a chart in one of the RE5R05A manuals that shows a graph of fluid level vs temperature. The same amount of fluid can swing well below the cool line, and well above the hot line, depending on temperature. It's a pain in the butt for sure. I slightly overfill, as I've taken it apart and can't see much of an issue with having a little extra fluid in there.

What do you mean by hammer shifting?

You know, much like starting the car in the winter and then driving in sport mode right away, only harder shifting. 1->2 BAM! 2->3 BAM! Even 3->4 BAM! It's like the TCU has jacked the line pressure from autocrossing it and it hasn't figured out that it's just being asked to cruise.

After every autocross it would do that for a couple days (I have a short drive to work) before things were back to normal. It didn't do that after my latest tune, where Requested Torque was rescaled from 320 max to 400 max.

You know, much like starting the car in the winter and then driving in sport mode right away, only harder shifting. 1->2 BAM! 2->3 BAM! Even 3->4 BAM! It's like the TCU has jacked the line pressure from autocrossing it and it hasn't figured out that it's just being asked to cruise.

After every autocross it would do that for a couple days (I have a short drive to work) before things were back to normal. It didn't do that after my latest tune, where Requested Torque was rescaled from 320 max to 400 max.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHYvH199DPJ032Ot7eeZ-XkolcQFYwLm1ybAibJplT4iEVlES_Qw

It is possible it did some learning from autocross, but also keep in mind that there is a compensation table in the TCU that raises line pressure when coolant temp is lower than optimal. That is why the first shift out of the driveway is the hardest, and then after 5 minutes it becomes its normal self.

Putting my car into R, D, R, D for my first minute of driving today, it shifted pretty firm. Was surprised. I will check to see if the modified valves include the accumulators that build a "shelf pressure" for going from N>R or N>D. It may sound weird, but I'm much more familiar with the RE5R05A than the Subaru 5eat. The 5eat has more accumulators. I haven't fully analyzed the 5eat yet. But I have done most of the RE5R05A, which mean I have some level of understanding about most of what the 5eat is doing, and how it does it. But I have more work to do. This above and beyond research is what will allow me to take the TransGo product and augment it to do some hopefully very interesting things (at least interesting to me). But for people who just want to drive their cars in a sport fashion and have proper shifting, that should be coming soon.

for whatever it's worth, I think there is a quart difference between low hot and full hot on the dipstick. mine was at low hot, i added a half quart, drove around a few days and checked it again, was at half way between.

In my recent experience, you are correct. It took exactly 1 quart to bring it up from low to full.

Eh screw it, I know how to setup a proper valve body, no sense jumping through these excessive hoops to show my commitment to testing a product before release. It would make sense if it was a new product, but this isn't that new anymore. I know it works, as other are running the same kind of thing, and one person in particular has been for a while. The methodology behind it is solid. Others are running basically the same thing, and love it. Yes it would include drilling :) The full sha-bang. PM me if you are interested. If I get enough people whom are ready to move forward, I'll just straight up bite the bullet and buy a vendor account. It will really smash my bottom line since I don't do volume retail of big-ticket items, but at least I won't have to worry about getting banned :) That's if I get enough people in to justify it.

I can also do after hours-style installations at my residence if anyone is within driving distance.

If you have a 05-07 5eat VB that you want modified, either via ship-to service or on-site installation, PM me and we'll talk about what options are available for you.