LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

I drove around today with my "version 1" TransGo shift kit. It is good, much better than stock, and better than IPT. But two considerations:

1) For the folks with the most power, it needs more line pressure. Needs to shift faster. It was good in Sport, but still not good enough in Drive.

2) It still needs more time to learn, and I STILL NEED TO DO MORE TESTING.

Glad to see this is moving along!

I drove around today with my "version 1" TransGo shift kit. It is good, much better than stock, and better than IPT. But two considerations:

1) For the folks with the most power, it needs more line pressure. Needs to shift faster. It was good in Sport, but still not good enough in Drive.

It was comfortable around town, and did not slam shifts at all.

It was cool to watch the tach climb to 7k and then tick over really fast to the next gear. But this still-not-high-enough line pressure is evident, in that at 7k it really needs to be shifting faster. I didn't test it hitting the limiter, and so I do not know if it would at WOT. But at any rate, I'll find a way to make it do better.

did you do any drilling ?

It was comfortable around town, and did not slam shifts at all.

It was cool to watch the tach climb to 7k and then tick over really fast to the next gear. But this still-not-high-enough line pressure is evident, in that at 7k it really needs to be shifting faster. I didn't test it hitting the limiter, and so I do not know if it would at WOT. But at any rate, I'll find a way to make it do better.

Climber are you manually shifting at 7k?

Mine shifts at the stock red line in automatic or sport mode.

Congrats and good work by the way. Glad to see you're working through this slowly, carefully, and methodically.

Edited by lieutenantcolumbo

Mine shifts at the stock red line in automatic or sport mode.

With your 05 you should be able to put the gear selector in Sport mode while stopped, toggle it down (I do it twice, I'm not sure why), and then proceed to bang it off the rev limiter until you put it back in D. This will also keep it from downshifting except to prevent stalling. I'm able to come to a complete stop and continue driving while in 2.

With your 05 you should be able to put the gear selector in Sport mode while stopped, toggle it down (I do it twice, I'm not sure why), and then proceed to bang it off the rev limiter until you put it back in D. This will also keep it from downshifting except to prevent stalling. I'm able to come to a complete stop and continue driving while in 2.

Yep, I almost always drive in either manual mode or sport mode. Drive is for tree huggers. Wanted to know however if Climber's tranny was "automatically" shifting at 7k vs. the normal red line.

I put more miles on it this evening. It has "learned" very quickly (doesn't hurt I've been braking or hitting the gas the whole evening, very little cruise). It shifted on its own before 7k fuel cut one WOT (very firm :)). Other than that I was mostly part throttle. If I go full throttle, I get open dump and everyone in 2000ft knows I'm is speeding.

It's coming along very nicely. I'm going to keep driving it to get it to learn into its groove sooner than later. I didn't do a TCU reset, and I do not see a need to do one, as it should learn on its own just fine. I'm not pulling the plug on this version of the valve body and upgrading again until I've got this one all figured out. Prime learning experience.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I put more miles on it this evening. It has "learned" very quickly (doesn't hurt I've been braking or hitting the gas the whole evening, very little cruise). It shifted on its own before 7k fuel cut one WOT (very firm :)). Other than that I was mostly part throttle. If I go full throttle, I get open dump and everyone in 2000ft knows I'm is speeding.

It's coming along very nicely. I'm going to keep driving it to get it to learn into its groove sooner than later. I didn't do a TCU reset, and I do not see a need to do one, as it should learn on its own just fine. I'm not pulling the plug on this version of the valve body and upgrading again until I've got this one all figured out. Prime learning experience.

These reports are promising, and excellent. I hope the newer VB's respond similarly!

I've got trans slippage at low throttle, especially when cold. Have to drive in manual just to get enough line pressure to move. Hopefully it's just low fluid. Tried to check the level but all I did was burn my hand on my custom aluminum TMIC (it had been idling in a parking space for ten minutes, and my headers aren't wrapped or shielded). Had to run to a meeting, then the machine shop, so just left it at home. Going to eliminate each possible cause until I have it working perfectly. I hope no real damage was done to the transmission clutch packs, or I'll have a second built 5eat on my hands once I'm done. Speaking of which, anyone want a built 5eat for a LOT LESS MONEY THAN IPT?
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I've got trans slippage at low throttle, especially when cold. Have to drive in manual just to get enough line pressure to move. Hopefully it's just low fluid. Tried to check the level but all I did was burn my hand on my custom aluminum TMIC (it had been idling in a parking space for ten minutes, and my headers aren't wrapped or shielded). Had to run to a meeting, then the machine shop, so just left it at home. Going to eliminate each possible cause until I have it working perfectly. I hope no real damage was done to the transmission clutch packs, or I'll have a second built 5eat on my hands once I'm done. Speaking of which, anyone want a built 5eat for a LOT LESS MONEY THAN IPT?

Are you talking about your extra, or in general? I'd gladly pay $2-3k for a built 5EAT..

Are you talking about your extra, or in general? I'd gladly pay $2-3k for a built 5EAT..

My spare stock one. It was fine before, so it's either the fluid level or valve body. I'm trying a pre-cut gasket instead of the messy silicone stuff, so may have a leak. Silicone is great for a one shot deal, but it's a nightmare when you repeatedly pull the pan, as I do.

I can do as many or as few build options as one wants.

Front limited slip torque sensing diff (available soon).

Machine pistons and add more clutches.

Bulletproof center diff with solid planet gear bushings.

Obviously TransGo Valve Body Modification (coming soon).

Built torque converter (which I would outsource; though I really believe there is absolutely no significant benefit to modifying the torque converter unless you are building a drag car, it's already pretty high stall and very stout, think of it as moderately beefed up from the factory).

But like anything, let me finish my own built trans first (with all these options except built torque converter) and let me beat the piss out of it for a while. I have some severe anger to my car right now, so it's going to get it :icon_evil

Climber this is all absolutely awesome stuff your doing. I would def. love an option of upgrading my tranny without selling a kidney. I think everyone here is after the same thing, a reliable tranny that can hold above stock levels of power. I applaud all your work and like many 5eaters on here hope it all works out and I can't wait to see what happens.

With that said I would like to ask you a quick opinion question. I am installing a bnr16g in a day or two. Is there anything I can do to my trans that will give me alittle more protection against bad things happening. I am going to swap some tranny fluid, I have a cooler too. TIA

Climber this is all absolutely awesome stuff your doing. I would def. love an option of upgrading my tranny without selling a kidney. I think everyone here is after the same thing, a reliable tranny that can hold above stock levels of power. I applaud all your work and like many 5eaters on here hope it all works out and I can't wait to see what happens.

As a 5EAT-er looking for more power myself, this ^ couldn't have been said any better.

Is there anything I can do to my trans that will give me alittle more protection against bad things happening.

To minimize damage until you get your tranny beefed up: 1) Never go WOT in 5th gear, 2) Always downshift before going WOT, 3) Use manual mode when screwing around, this applies higher line pressure so there's less slipping, and 4) Never Launch.

^On top of what he said, pick up a transmission cooler (trucool 4452 or 4454 are popular options). They're like $50-75 depending on where you get it, and take about 30 minutes to install if you're even halfway mechanically inclined.

Can't wait to see the results as an 08-09 VB gets its turn under the knife. I'm debating sourcing parts for a 5 or 6 speed swap, but if this becomes available sooner, I'm in.

It's cool; I'm with the band

My tuner mentioned that by increasing the requested torque value in the map(which is then communicated to the TCU as the TCU sees the R.T. value), it will cause higher line pressure. He did so, and it shifts much more firm now(not shock shifting) and there is a lot less in-between-gear time than before. Forgive my nubness if this has been talked about before....

• Mega Users
There's a thread on it. A few of us did it and I think I'm the only one who noticed a difference. I will say that the TCU learned it away after a while. I did back to back flashes with it and there was definitely harder shifts with the higher requested torque value at lower rpm. It doesn't increase the max line pressure though, just in the lower rpm.

My tuner mentioned that by increasing the requested torque value in the map(which is then communicated to the TCU as the TCU sees the R.T. value), it will cause higher line pressure. He did so, and it shifts much more firm now(not shock shifting) and there is a lot less in-between-gear time than before. Forgive my nubness if this has been talked about before....

We had a thread on this but the testing was still outstanding.

We did this once for a customer. Tranny went boom shortly after we made the map change. Because of this, we do not recommend it.

Was that mine car? If it was, tranny was already on its way out anyway.