LegacyGT.com

Valve Body Mods, Giant Leaps Forward!!!

ClimberDHexMods

I swear I've answered this back in this thread, in great detail. It doesn't change the strength of the auto tranny. It makes the engagement and disengagement of each gear ratio (aka 1st gear, 2nd gear, etc on up) quicker and firmer. This means less wear to the friction components of the auto trans at any given power output. This means longer life out of the auto trans. When people say something like 'will it make me able to handle 350whp,' I assume they are asking whether they will get relatively long-term service life out of the transmission at that power level. Basically the non-scientific answer to your question is 'Yes' your trans should be able to handle an 18G or 20G no problem with this proposed VB, if the mod is done when the trans is in good healthy condition. If you mod a worn or even partially worn transmission's valve body, the transmission will probably still fail, since the friction capacity is compromised. Note I did not say anything about your center diff, your engine, etc. Those break due to an entirely different set of variables. Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Of course I did'nt go back and check out your earlier post describing in detail the shifting/long term strength benefits- I was just riding the train and the question came to mind( I got lazy and just asked-everthing is on the site/with a little digging I think there's a thread describing how to make a Legacy corkscrew through a tunnel)

Thanks for clarifying (again) and looking forward to the results.

Almost pulled the turbo today, but caught myself and decided to try to find the exact source of the pre-turbo exhaust leak BEFORE doing a lot of work. Pulled the brake booster hose, and clamped a middle section with vise-grip pliers to make a minimal slit of a pass-through inside the hose (so the engine keeps running, only sucking in air / sea foam slowly. Then stuck a funnel into the hose end and poured in sea foam. White smoke fest 2011.

I have a serious leak between the header flange and up pipe flange. I have the APS header, which uses manifold>header gaskets at that header>UP joint.

I have no visible leak between either of the turbo flanges. THIS IS GREAT NEWS because the gasket under the turbo is a nightmare to get to. So by doing this test I save myself a lot of unnecessary work.

I also have a very slight leak between the driver-side manifold and header flange. This may have been caused when we used the header as a brace for jacking up the engine to level it to slide the new trans into it.

Anyways I'm placing the Fred Beans Parts order this weekend. Getting new gaskets and lots of random trans stuff.

Also going to swap in the 1st round test VB at some point, so it will be ready to play with when I fix the boost leak (need boost to make power :D).

Then all I'll need is a proper FMIC... :D

As a side note, all the forum stories of cracked pistons are REALLY making me want to switch to E85. I need to do a few things to properly prepare for that. My AEM Cold Air Intake is going to max out quickly on E85, so I'm passively searching for a used upgrade intake (such as KS Tech 73mm)...

Edited by ClimberD@HexMods
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

It's going to be a bit of a delay in getting you my fmic. I ordered 15 so I could have some in stock. Now almost all of them are sold and I won't even one for myself. But, that's a good thing. ;) so I'm going to have to wait till my next shippment to get you the one on my car now. I'm placing a new order after I get all my kits shipped next week. Bryan
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• Mega Users
How much time do you think it would take to mod the VB with the proper kit and tools. IIRC, you only have to drop the pan to get the VB out. I'm curious if it would be doable at a DIY garage in a day without a second VB.

Just saw somebody else installed a TransGo shift kit in a 5EAT (its another 05).

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/transgo-kit-and-working-good-163856.html?t=163856

How much time do you think it would take to mod the VB with the proper kit and tools. IIRC, you only have to drop the pan to get the VB out. I'm curious if it would be doable at a DIY garage in a day without a second VB.

I got a PM this morning from Mike the OP in the thread referenced by Lt C. He said the down time was 1 day taking it to his friend's shop.

I takes a day to do it. Again, if you screw up, you may be out $1000 and a week. I really strongly believe you should not attempt this mod by yourself unless you are seriously good with working on mechanical things. This is not like a turbo swap on injector swap. This is the real deal.

I takes a day to do it. Again, if you screw up, you may be out $1000 and a week. I really strongly believe you should not attempt this mod by yourself unless you are seriously good with working on mechanical things. This is not like a turbo swap on injector swap. This is the real deal.

+1

My transmission shop told me the same thing, don't try this at home kids. The 350Z walk through I posted a long time ago in one of the other transmission threads seems straight forward enough, however adjustments are needed for the 5EAT and until TransGo or ClimberD chooses to write up instructions, you don't want to try to bumble your way through this. Take it to a shop our see if ClimberD gets up and running.

• Mega Users

I was thinking more along the lines of self installing ClimberD's kit WITH instructions. I wouldn't attempt something like this blind. That would be about equal to taking a hammer to my VB and hoping it shifted better.

With good instructions, I'm confident I would be fine. I'm very organized and thorough.

I'm weighing options about releasing instructions to the public. Doing so runs the risk that the public would try to follow them. Literally, you drop a check ball, goodnight. Fortunately I found where to order certain replacement parts. Takes time to ship. Takes practice to get certain valves out of their bores. I still need to think about it.

i agree , not for the hobbyist . i am a very capable wrench but also know when to leave it to the pros or someone VERY familiar w/ the situation . i have installed 5-6 shift kits in my day but this one , nah , not the typical vb

my guy told me the shift kit was very unique and quite interesting , he told me he could have whipped something up that probably would have been fine , i suggested the transgo route & he was pleased w/ the kit/results . not his 1st time in a5eat but 1st time modding the vb w/ a kit

Edited by motorbykemike

Trouble is I physically need an 08 valve body on my table. If someone can send me one, that would do well. I tried buying a used one, with no success. A nice guy offered to drive over to meet me here in Dallas with his 08, but having not yet seen one taken apart, if he makes this whole trip and worst case goes back unmodded, I would feel terrible having wasted his whole day...

Trouble is I physically need an 08 valve body on my table. If someone can send me one, that would do well. I tried buying a used one, with no success. A nice guy offered to drive over to meet me here in Dallas with his 08, but having not yet seen one taken apart, if he makes this whole trip and worst case goes back unmodded, I would feel terrible having wasted his whole day...

If I wasn't 2000 miles away, I'd be driving in a heartbeat. As long as I don't walk away with a busted VB or Trans, I'm good.

I drove around today with my "version 1" TransGo shift kit. It is good, much better than stock, and better than IPT. But two considerations:

1) For the folks with the most power, it needs more line pressure. Needs to shift faster. It was good in Sport, but still not good enough in Drive.

2) It still needs more time to learn, and I STILL NEED TO DO MORE TESTING.

It was comfortable around town, and did not slam shifts at all.

It was cool to watch the tach climb to 7k and then tick over really fast to the next gear. But this still-not-high-enough line pressure is evident, in that at 7k it really needs to be shifting faster. I didn't test it hitting the limiter, and so I do not know if it would at WOT. But at any rate, I'll find a way to make it do better.